AKG 271 ot AKG 501
Jun 25, 2005 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
I now have Senn 595s, Grado SR125, And ER-4s, and now my nose has started to sniff out AKGs. What exactly do they do best, and what is the major difference between these two models. I cant seem to find much on the AKG 501s, are they an older model?

Cheers

Jun 25, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 37
The K501 is open, while the K271 is closed (you probably already knew that). The K501 delivers great midrange and is believed by many including me to be somewhat bass-light -- it sounds true as far down as it goes, but it goes down only so far. Some who've amped it differently (I use a Gilmore Lite) or who have different pads have better things to say about the bass.

Lightness of bass aside, I really love my K501 for vocals, which is most of what I listen to. It's an enormously satisfying headphone, and a worthy contender for your next purchase.

I recently traded away my K271. While it's a good headphone, and one that to me sounded very neutral, I felt there was nothing it did that the ER-4S didn't do better. Since I own and love the ER-4S, that made the K271 really redundant for me, so out it went.

Jun 25, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 37
I just got the 501, and haven't really burned it in yet (currently about 20 hours), but it's growing on me. The midrange on these is sweet. Way better than my Beyer DT880, which I love to death.

The bass is a bit light, as far as extension and impact. But it's tight and articulate, which is usually preferrable for me. I like it for vocals and classical music with a lot of viola or cello, which is right up the alley of the AKG. They are also good for Jazz and other acoustic music. They have a nice soundstage and have a fairly forward sound. You get lots of detail...I can hear the Bass Player's fingers pulling on the strings and whatnot.

TTVJ has them for a good price, much lower than I've been able to find anywhere else. You may wanna check it out, I think it's a great deal.

Jun 25, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 37
Episiarch you aren't selling your 501s are you? I thought you might be if you are let me know. How do the 501s sound with rock\trance? Any good or am I just better off with my Grados. Im really looking at the AKG because they excell at mids, but most music like you said is just vocal that make them shine, and I dont listen to much of that.

Jun 25, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 37
Hi,

Instead of sniffing AKGs I'd suggest that you look at Beyer line instead. Some amazing all around phones on its lineup vs niche strength on certain AKGs. DT880 are said to be one of the best value phones and DT250 rule closed phones on its price range.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 37
So AKG's aren't top of the foodchain Mids? Or are you just suggesting that because of my music preferences?

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 37
i would say akg have the best midrange out of all the phones i heard. overall i love them for acoustic music. they are neutral on the most part, low coloration. i didnt think they are great for the hardrock and bass driven music.

they're also the most comfortable. the beyers with velour pads are comfortable but too heavy at times, except for the dt531.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 37
Yes, I recall from my auditioning that the AKG 271 pads were outstandingly comfy, better than any i've felt.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 37
The AKGs are comfortable, but I prefer the Beyers still. They are heavier, but the fuzzy gray velour really is plush against your skin. You'll forget you have them on, whereas the pads on the AKGs can get tiring on your face. They seem to get a little hotter, but unlike pleather, they don't get sticky and annoying. If the Beyers are a 10, the AKGs would be maybe about a high 8 to mid 9 IMHO. But I have a big head, so....lol.

The AKG definately has better mids than my Beyers. But the Beyers have better Bass and highs extension I would say, and more bass impact (not by much). Neither are gonna be Rock and Roll Phones though, though if you like tight bass, the Beyers really shine. They are both fairly neutral...just a different kind of sonic signature. It depends on how your music was mixed and what dynamic ranges are available. Classical Cello for example sounds gorgeous with the AKG, but Violins and high winds sound great on the Beyers. Tenor Saxes and Acoustic Guitars sound great on the AKG, and Alto Saxes and Piano sounds great on the Beyers. And etc etc etc....

If you can only buy one (yeah right!) then I would personally go for the Beyers. They are a better overall value I would say. What you lose slightly in the mids compared to the AKG, you gain in everything else. Hope this helps.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 37
I've burned the AKG 501 for over 300 hourse and they still sound harsh for most music genres (including some jazz cds).

They are excellent for classical and orchrestral music though. You can hear all the layers in the strings and woodwinds sound fantastic. The brass sounds a tad metallic but this could be due to my experience coming from the HD 595 which now sounds smooth/darker compared to 501.

I've no problems with the bass, its clearly audible and very clean and I wouldn't call it bass shy. The 595 seems to add a bit of weight to it but that would suit rock or pop better.

The 501 leaks much more then the 595. I use it as a mini speaker alot
600smile.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 37
AKG rules as far as mids and treble is concerned, for bass lovers, not recommnded, as far as comfort goes imo, the akg formula of self adjusting headbands is simply the best, having tried the AKG version, I much prefer it. No fooling around with clips and nothces, just plonk them on and of you go.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I've burned the AKG 501 for over 300 hourse and they still sound harsh for most music genres (including some jazz cds).

You're not the only one to have reported harshness from the K501. I think it's due to a rather sharp peak in response in the upper midrange, like some amateur fr measurements have suggested. This has kept me from seriously considering it ... I do prefer "smooth" (when it equates to "flat" or absence of glaring peaks).

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
I now have Senn 595s, Grado SR125, And ER-4s, and now my nose has started to sniff out AKGs. What exactly do they do best, and what is the major difference between these two models. I cant seem to find much on the AKG 501s, are they an older model?

Cheers

I had the K501 and I liked them a lot. I sold it only because I've found an occasion on beyer DT880 and I can't keep the two headphones together (ah, money).

I've opened a thread some times ago about it:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111323

However, I can say that the K501 has one of the best mids I've ever heard, warm, detailed, musical and natural all at the same time. Never an edgy or harsh note. Few headphones (maybe no one in the price range) can't stand comparison with the K501 in this range. The bass it's a bit "light", but it is as it comes from far away, in the room. Sure not an headphone for techno/trance people, and maybe not also for the hard rock ones. This is a feature that pervades all the sound of the K501: it is a sensation as the music comes through the earpads, but don't come directly from it and from the drivers. This is due to the very good sense of natural sound, and for the absence of resonances. The K501 gives sensations hard to be found in other headphones. But they have their limits, as some Hz lacking in the deepest bass and this sensation of "light" sound, simply amazing with cameristic or acoustic music in general (not too large...). I preferred some more "weight and body". It's an headphone that you can love or hate. An headphone to listen once in a life if you are an headfier.

Andrea

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #14 of 37
But I just love the texture! Is there a headphone that has brings out the texture like AKG 501 but is pleasant like the HD 650?
600smile.gif

I'm seriously considering the HD 650

HD 650 is known to be a smooth phone but what does it imply by smoothness? Does is gloss over the texture? The HD 595 slight smoothness is still acceptable to me (coming from 501) but I don't think I can accept a phone that glosses over everthing. I want my strings to sound layered
frown.gif

When is HD 666 comnig out?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
But I just love the texture! Is there a headphone that has brings out the texture like AKG 501 but is pleasant like the HD 650?
600smile.gif

I'm seriously considering the HD 650

HD 650 is known to be a smooth phone but what does it imply by smoothness? Does is gloss over the texture? The HD 595 slight smoothness is still acceptable to me (coming from 501) but I don't think I can accept a phone that glosses over everthing. I want my strings to sound layered
frown.gif

When is HD 666 comnig out?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't understand exactly what you mean with "texture".

Anyway, the HD650 does not gloss, and you string sections will play separated and in a very good and correct space.

The K501 sensation of spread and air however is not in the HD650. And I think it's not in every other headphone around at "human" prices.

I had the K501 and the HD650. And I've heard only an headphones combining the airyness and natural "coming of the sound to the ears" of the K501 with the pleasant and slightly warm sound of the HD650: it is the Stax OmegaII driven from a Rudistor tube amp (see the link in my sig).

If you accept a soundstage not so wide as the K501, but you prefer a sound a little more "open" and exciting than the HD650 you can try the Beyer DT880, IMHO probably the best compromise of many qualities at their price.

Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back