AKG 240 sextet insanity!
May 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #31 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$324 according to the feds: CPI Inflation Calculator

That figure looks really familiar.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #33 of 154
It's a NOS K240 of course it's worth alot more. THE Cable is still wrapped in plastic. There was that 400 dollar d303 that sold on ebay awhile back. This doesn't implies my d303 is worth nearly that much.

May 12, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I was crazy with my plan to snipe at $190
eek.gif
. It's worth noting these are NIB EP Sextetts which are fairly rare.

I thought prices were staying down but I guess they're going back up again. This is Fitz' fault, somehow...

I disagree that they aren't worth that much sonically btw
wink.gif

Yeah, but I'm also the one who (loudly) yells at people who pay this much for an ebay Sextett. As I've said before: The Sextett is not a rare headphone. It would cost significantly less to buy one of the many used ones and either fix it up yourself or get somebody to do it for you. While I do not necessarily think $325 is too much for how good the headphones sound, it's soooooo far above normal market value that it's just plain ridiculous. I mean, this is like paying $3500 for a NOS K1000.

May 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #35 of 154
I just got my sextett's and took a brief listen (can't do an extended one right now, my head is killing me). Overall they sound very pleasant with a nice midrange, but the highs seem to be lacking a bit. But then again, I also got my DT880's and was listening to those, switching back and forth. The soundstage is pretty decent, albeit not that big. Sounds unique

Mine are in pretty good condition, and the pads are still usable. However, the plug looks pretty disgusting, and I'm sure is holding these cans back. Guess I'll have to re-terminate them soon...

So far they are worth what I paid and a little more, but $350? Not sure about that...

May 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #36 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but I'm also the one who (loudly) yells at people who pay this much for an ebay Sextett ...it's soooooo far above normal market value that it's just plain ridiculous.

I have a feeling your yelling isn't going to be near as loud as my wife's... oh my what have I done
frown.gif

May 12, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #37 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by howlndog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling your yelling isn't going to be near as loud as my wife's... oh my what have I done
frown.gif

Too bad the Sextetts aren't closed.

May 12, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #38 of 154
Haha, let me be the first one here, Congratulations on your wonderfull purchase!!

May 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #39 of 154
I rate my Sextetts very highly but thats just a crazy price.....regardless of whether they are NOS or not.

As Regal has mentioned , you can easily transform an old pair into new on the cheap anyway. So paying a premium because they happen to be NOS isn't really necessary.
Oh well ,I guess they are simply getting extremely hard to come by now; even in Europe.

Great cans......I just hope they live up to the buyers expectations at that price!

May 13, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #41 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on how important "NOS" is to you. A refurbed Sextett without box will offer the same sound and quality, but it won't be "NOS" so some may feel the premium is justified.

Quite a premium to pay though , nonetheless
eek.gif

But yeah , you're quite right of course. These kind of things matter a hell of a lot to some people...... and they're obviously willing to spend accordingly.

I just hope the buyer gets as much pleasure from his Sextetts as I do from mine....regardless of how much he's paid for 'em.
I certainly can't see me selling mine for a loooong while anyway . They're just too damned enjoyable to let go , even for that kind of 'premium' price.

May 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #42 of 154
Hah... NOS premium? These phones are meant to be used and abused, not treated like a museum piece. Reminds me that I still need to properly clean the cable on my main pair since I sorta spilled my drink on it a few nights ago (rather, on the floor where the cable was laying).
redface.gif

May 13, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #43 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by howlndog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

hehehehe
I was right,
it was you who bought them
biggrin.gif

I hope you enjoy them with your Darkvoice 332
wink.gif

BTW, if you find the bass at all overbearing (you bought the oldest K240 which has the most bass) try switching to Svetlana 6S19P-V & WE403B. (the WE403B's have less bass)
(the one's in the amp when I sold it to you are the Ulyanaovsk 6S19P-V & Mullard CV4010)
Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #44 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I am very much enjoying the Darkvoice 332 - many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back