AKG 240 sextet insanity!
May 14, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #61 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they might have gone for a good price, before you linked them on head-fi. The price will probably go stupid 5 seconds before it ends.

I know I have the high bid on them but now I doubt it will hold after showing up in this thread. F@$k I really wanted some Sextetts to.
frown.gif

Oh well, at least you saved me from having to explain to my wife why I needed another pair of headphones (4th pair this year).

May 14, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #62 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a EP/MP/ or LP 240?? I might buy another one..
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, posting these on head-fi only drives up prices
frown.gif
. But its an MP pair, the seller described to me the white with orange borders.
Btw, the one that went for $87 was an MP too.

May 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #64 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the K340, but with my AKG Sextetts feel no need to. That's the thing about the Sextetts, they just plain cure upgraditis.

The K340's are a primadonna [sp?], so if you are happy with the Sextetts... just stay there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Besides, Fitz and I are just busting eachothers balls.
wink.gif

May 14, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #65 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

That $87 one looked kind of weird from the pictures. Not the best angles, but I thought the metal band looked slightly tweaked. Could very well just be the angle, I've never owned a k240 so I'm not completely familiar with how the metal bands look as they exit the cup.
AKGheadphones.jpg

May 14, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #66 of 154
I think the reason Sextetts are becoming so popular now is the tube amp craze. They are the only headphones I have found that really excell with tube gear.
The modern headphones almost all require too much current for a tube amp, while the Sextetts present an ideal load.

May 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #67 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The modern headphones almost all require too much current for a tube amp, while the Sextetts present an ideal load.

You might be right about your theory.
smily_headphones1.gif

The K340's do need a fair bit of current along with their rather high voltage swing requirements. I find tube amps to match them the best, but they do have to be pretty beefy... going balanced helps.
wink.gif

May 14, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #69 of 154
Quote:

frown.gif

What he only told me they were orange/red
mad.gif

Well thanks for saving me some cash anyway, I didn't need a third MP.

May 14, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #70 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to carry on from howlnwolf's update, the seller has given me second chance at $301...

Like I said ive already bought a pair for 40 euros so watch ebay, theres every chance these will be back for sale soon.

I'm glad everyone is coming back to their senses. $300+ is an insane price when used ones go for 1/3 of the price.

May 14, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #71 of 154
Raises the funny question:

Would sextett owners buy the sextett if they were all $300?

Because for me that would be a wholeheartedly YES! Quite frankly I would sell alot of my gear for this baby.

May 14, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #72 of 154
I don't think the $300 is that bad, if a company tooled up to reproduce these now I am sure they would cost near a grand.

People pay $300 for aluminum Grados that are basically basement built with no heavy tooling.

May 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #74 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What he only told me they were orange/red
mad.gif

Well thanks for saving me some cash anyway, I didn't need a third MP.

Hmm actually wait, if I reread it its kinda vague. He never mentioned white sorry.

I sent him this picture: http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t/DSCN1664.jpg
Which is MP, and asked him if they were orange, white, or had orange borders.

He replied:
That picture looked pretty much exactly the same as mine. I just barely saw some orange/ red semi circles on the outside arms of the spider shaped piece that holds the driver in. .

Now I take that to mean its MP. But he doesnt seem too responsive, so who knows!
Edit: Now im confused too, I really dont know whether its EP or MP....

May 14, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #75 of 154
Quote:

Err, the current AKG240 is only about $125. I cant see how recreating the sextett would make the price barely any different.

The main reason for removing the passive diaphragms on future models was to reduce the cost of production, if I'm remembering right.

That seller was talking about spiders to me too what a loony toon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back