AK120 + High End Universal / Custom IEM Advice
Aug 9, 2013 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jason36

500+ Head-Fier
My main Portable gear is an AK120 and at the moment either my ASG-2 or Tzar 350, Although the ASG-2 are my go to IEM at the moment.....

As is usual in this game I am wondering whether I could do better than the ASG-2 paired with the AK120 and I am therefore considering selling the Tzar 350 and investing in either a High End Universal or Custom IEM. This will then be my main portable rig.

Options that have been suggested so far include:

Universals:
  1. Tralucent 1plus2 with Silver / Gold Cable

Customs:
  1. Unique Melody Miracle
  2. Audio Earz AUD-8X
  3. JH16

Just wondering if anybody has any comments or advice on any of these mentioned options or can add any other suggestions?

Musical Tastes are extremely varied and include pretty much everything other than Classical or Opera

Aug 10, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 7
Are you going to the headfi meet in October? If so you'll have an opportunity to demo some nice gear. There's bound to be some 1+2s at least. I'll be happy to let you demo my k3003s and to be honest I'd love to hear the ak120 compared to the dx-100 with those phones.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Where is the headfi meet in October? My quite brief opinion on the subject is that 1plus2, Miracles and Spiral Ear SE5 all work very well with the ak120. Depends what sig you like. 1plus2 is faster, sharp sounding with amazing soundstage. The Miracles are slightly more polite and very airy sounding. The SE5 sound more organic and natural, with slightly more intimate sound....with killer sub bass rumble.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
My main Portable gear is an AK120 and at the moment either my ASG-2 or Tzar 350, Although the ASG-2 are my go to IEM at the moment.....

As is usual in this game I am wondering whether I could do better than the ASG-2 paired with the AK120 and I am therefore considering selling the Tzar 350 and investing in either a High End Universal or Custom IEM. This will then be my main portable rig.

Options that have been suggested so far include:

Universals:
  1. Tralucent 1plus2 with Silver / Gold Cable

Customs:
  1. Unique Melody Miracle
  2. Audio Earz AUD-8X
  3. JH16

Just wondering if anybody has any comments or advice on any of these mentioned options or can add any other suggestions?

Musical Tastes are extremely varied and include pretty much everything other than Classical or Opera

I have both the 1plus2 silver/gold and JH16. If you ask me which one I prefer, I would say both. The JH16 is a little more bassy than the 1plus2. If you want more bass go with the JH16. The 1plus2 is more balance and sounds like a real fullsize can. The transition from low to mid then mid to high is simply perfect to my ears. You will never go wrong with either of these. For the Classical or Opera, I think 1plus2 is better for your taste. Additionally, there is one more thing you need to consider is the isolation / fit. I would rate the isolation of 1p2 is 7 out of 10 compare to the JH16. It is really really good for night listening session. It is good on the subway or outdoor. But I think you do not want to use it in GYM or running or riding bike.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 7
I just got the UltimateEars Reference Monitors for use with the AK120. Night and day better than TF10 and IE80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back