AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #166 of 735

My AK240SS now has issue with Volume Dials, It no longer could turn down volume anymore.
Dial Up --> Volume increases
Dial Down --> Volume also erratically Increases

This built quality is really such a disappointment!
2.5mm problem now Dial Volume problem!

Surprised to see this manufacturer launching a new product (AK Jr) when the QC issues relating to the TOTL AK240SS have not yet been resolved. Till such time as this is done, I will stay on the sidelines for their products.

Sorry to hear of your volume dial problem mate.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #167 of 735
I wonder if this is really a major problem.
Since the few guys that have issues with the AK240SS, complain a lot here at the forum
(and they're very right to do so),
but all the ones that have no issues at all, remain quiet! 

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #168 of 735
Have 2 dear friends in my neighborhood walking around with the AK240ss with a scotch tape around balanced port. One of them is on his 3rd set due to exactly the same issue. As I said, I will stay on the sidelines, this prevents me from upgrading to the product. IMHO and based on experience of 2 good friends, not rumors etc.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #169 of 735
The issue is that the body is stainless steel, if the trrs male touches the body it will be grounded. As usual male should wear some protective tissues lol.

Regarding the wheel, it depends on the users, and chances. Every new product would face some physical issues regardless the price.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #172 of 735
Same here, 2nd unit needs tape too. I used some masking tape.

With the tape, the 2.5mm is perfect. No noise or cut outs

Might try one more time on a replacement.

I'm gonna talk to Astrll & kern about this at the Chicago Axpona show tomorrow.

Also, the tape fix worked with my Linum Balanced and Roxanne balanced cables but still had issues with my new moon audio black dragon with 2.5mm

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #173 of 735
Do let us know how your talk goes @onlychild

I have poor experiences with A&K with regard to responses and bluntly the distributor in my area is a no-go. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #174 of 735
I was about to pull the trigger on the AK240SS but these tape pictures just turn me off. I'll pass on this one.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #175 of 735
well same here, i have saved all the money needed to purchase the astell kern AK240 stainless steel this coming week but i will also pass on these hi-res "TAPE" dap combine with the volume control issue. i will wait on the geek wave xdf 256 dap. will use my good old faithful apple ipod touch 5th gen with onkyo app(24/192) paired with my chord hugo in the mean time between timel. thanks to all head-fiers who currently owns astell & kern ak240 stainless steel for giving future potential buyers these issues with astell & kern ak240ss.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #176 of 735
The problem is with the male connector, Being stainless steel it will act as ground, i mean the trrs, if it touches the body. Strange how you blame the male connector, while it is not stock (i know there no stock ak cable, which would be fair to blame).

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #177 of 735
BTW, another friend had memory card reader failure within a day of buying this model. Make that unit #3.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #178 of 735
Just read through this thread, looking for infos on my next dap purchase. Ended up with huge disappointment on faulty units. 

Ok. I'll get Paw Gold instead :/

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #180 of 735
It is really sad that AK does not care at all - especially if you consider the price of the units. The HW problems with the 2,5mm balanced port and the volume dial are present from the beginning. I don't know if the AK100II and AK120II have the same issues but I guess this is the case.

I needed to change my AK240 three times, the first unit was unable to play DSD without cracking, the second unit was unable to work as USB DAC (on mac & windows) and the third replacement had a loose volume dial. The forth replacement is btw the demo unit of the store which seems the only working device in stock. But after a few days I ran in problem with the volume dial (erratic volume jumping). The AK240 is now in for repair but my hopes are not to high. I guess I will get back the same unit, formatted and the problem  remaining or a replacement unit with all or parts of the other issues.

It is sad yes, but the AK240 is the king of the hill, and if you want the best possible SQ on the go - there is no other place to go.... so I guess just move from the AK240 to the AK240SS don't solve a thing....

Cheers,
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back