AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Jun 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #527 of 735
  I think this unit is faulty because my ipod classic sounds a million times better! LOL

300 hours burn-in and it will sound like its supposed to.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #528 of 735
Well, got my RWAK 240ss today and couldn't wait to try it right out the gate.  Have been listening to it for the past two hours and is now burning in the capacitors. First thing first, I wish i still have my old 240ss to compare to.  Since it is now modded I have to rely on my memory but one thing is sure and certain, the bass has become more snappy, authoritative, and tight which is a good change.  Kind of remind me of the first time I heard the Audeze LCD2, when the bass is in the music it will hit you in a visceral way. The note decay is also improved.  The whole sound signature is a little different now.  It is not as bright as before.  The Mid and Treble is a little rounded just like what is said in the RW website.  I have to listen to it a little more to understand what I am feeling.  I keep alternating between the 240 and 380 for comparison.  It seems in the bass range, the 240 is approaching the feel of the 380.  I am a little confuse about the new sound signature.  I will need to listen to it more to draw my conclusion.  I used my 64 audio U12 for the listening. This is just a first impression.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #529 of 735
  Well, got my RWAK 240ss today and couldn't wait to try it right out the gate.  Have been listening to it for the past two hours and is now burning in the capacitors. First thing first, I wish i still have my old 240ss to compare to.  Since it is now modded I have to rely on my memory but one thing is sure and certain, the bass has become more snappy, authoritative, and tight which is a good change.  Kind of remind me of the first time I heard the Audeze LCD2, when the bass is in the music it will hit you in a visceral way. The note decay is also improved.  The whole sound signature is a little different now.  It is not as bright as before.  The Mid and Treble is a little rounded just like what is said in the RW website.  I have to listen to it a little more to understand what I am feeling.  I keep alternating between the 240 and 380 for comparison.  It seems in the bass range, the 240 is approaching the feel of the 380.  I am a little confuse about the new sound signature.  I will need to listen to it more to draw my conclusion.  I used my 64 audio U12 for the listening. This is just a first impression.

Thank you for your initial impressions. I look forward to hearing more as you get a better sense on all the changes.

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #530 of 735

300 hours burn-in and it will sound like its supposed to.

Really?
I bought it from a fellow head fier and was told it has about 80 hours on it.
It sound very congested.

Also changing the EQ makes no difference to the sound at all. Am i doing something wrong?

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #531 of 735
Really?
It sound very congested.

Also changing the EQ makes no difference to the sound at all. Am i doing something wrong?

Your ears might not get used to the amount of details tat ak240 is capable to deliver yet.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #532 of 735
  Really?
It sound very congested.

Yes, it takes a minimum of 300 hours of play before the sound settles in, typical of high end digital audio devices. Before complete burn-in, the sound is congested with smeared highs that are fatiguing.

Don't know why the EQ isn't working other than the obvious: is the EQ icon showing at the top of the home screen? Also, the EQ allows for only +or- 5dB increments; if you are only adjusting a frequency a dB or so, you might not easily be able to hear the difference other than a volume drop since custom made EQ presets drop the output by 5dB so one doesn't accidentally blow out their earphones. The built in presets (PRO, AK5TP) do not have the volume drop.

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #533 of 735

Hey Jalo, did you notice any evidence of the mod on your SS? I'm very anal about my audio gear and a deformed screw head or a tiny scratch would be very bothersome to me.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #534 of 735

Yes, it takes a minimum of 300 hours of play before the sound settles in, typical of high end digital audio devices. Before complete burn-in, the sound is congested with smeared highs that are fatiguing.

Don't know why the EQ isn't working other than the obvious: is the EQ icon showing at the top of the home screen? Also, the EQ allows for only +or- 5dB increments; if you are only adjusting a frequency a dB or so, you might not easily be able to hear the difference other than a volume drop since custom made EQ presets drop the output by 5dB so one doesn't accidentally blow out their earphones. The built in presets (PRO, AK5TP) do not have the volume drop.

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed.

I increased all the frequencies of the eq to max...no difference at all. The sound is not great. But even with flat EQ the sound is not really what i had expected. Plus the thing gets sooooooooooooooooooo hot. I tried a couple of resets and latest firmware is installed.
Anyway im thinking of getting a Mojo and pairing it with my phone and be done with it.

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #535 of 735
I increased all the frequencies of the eq to max...no difference at all. The sound is not great. But even with flat EQ the sound is not really what i had expected. Plus the thing gets sooooooooooooooooooo hot. I tried a couple of resets and latest firmware is installed.
Anyway im thinking of getting a Mojo and pairing it with my phone and be done with it.

If your unit has only 80 hours or so when you purchased it, chances are it is still under warranty. Do you know where was this unit purchased from? Did they give you the sale receipt? If I were you, I will send it back to AK and have them check to see if anything is wrong. Just the EQ problem will drive me crazy. It may be an over exaggeration on your part but if you think your iPod classic is a 1000X better, something Is wrong. It does not take an audiofile to recognise the good sound from the 240Ss. Once you verify your 240 is functioning properly, then we can work on your head:)

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #536 of 735
Hey Jalo, did you notice any evidence of the mod on your SS? I'm very anal about my audio gear and a deformed screw head or a tiny scratch would be very bothersome to me.

Well there are only two screws in the bottom and I do not notice any scratches or problem with my returned unit. The clear plastic is still on my unit. I would say it came back in good shape.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #537 of 735

Was waiting for this, cheers!
Can't wait for more impressions once the caps are burnt in!

Out of curiosity, were you using the balanced or SE out?

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #538 of 735

The problem that Jalo is describing isn't a loose volume wheel. When the optical encoder goes bad, the volume adjustments happen erratically. For instance, you click the volume control up one step and instead of the number display going up one, it goes up several numbers, or sometimes it even goes down! In other words, each click of the volume wheel does not correspond to the expected volume increase/decrease.

Hm, so does this mean that it is possible to 'tighten' the volume wheel or reduce the amount of play in the wheel without replacing any components?

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #539 of 735
Was waiting for this, cheers!
Can't wait for more impressions once the caps are burnt in!

Out of curiosity, were you using the balanced or SE out?

SE out, will have Balance out this week (Therium Litz 8 cores, and Piccolino)

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #540 of 735

Hm, so does this mean that it is possible to 'tighten' the volume wheel or reduce the amount of play in the wheel without replacing any components?

I don't think so. Unlike a standard potentiometer with a metal shaft on which the knob is tightened down on, the optical encoder that AK uses for volume control inherently has more play to it. On my first 240 that went bad, the knob was really wiggly (not as bad as the original AK100) and I was disappointed since my AK120 had a tight feeling knob. When the 240 was replaced by iriver, the new one had a noticeably tighter knob. When I got my SS, it, too, had a tight knob with just a bit of play. I think it is just a sample variation that AK doesn't QC for, at least that's what I inferred from reading others with wiggly volume wheels.

I could be wrong about this, so if the real information is desired, I'd email Vinnie at Red Wine Audio. He would certainly know if there's a way to tighten up the looseness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back