AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Jun 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #511 of 735
Thank you that puts my mind at ease :)

Sorry to stir up your mind again. but It costed me only $50.00 to fix the volume pot not a big problem. Other than that, you really have a keeper. even after I purchased the 380cu, I am reluctant to let go of the 240ss. They each have a very different sound signature that I love depending on mood and they both have the best aesthetic appeal.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #512 of 735
I just received notice that my unit is being shipped from Vinnie. Can't wait to try the mod. In addition to the mod, Vinnie also fixed my volume pot problem. The volume pot is really the only weak point of the 240ss. I think eventually it will go bad and had to be fixed. AK should really issue a recall and replace the volume pot used in the 380 series.

Can't wait to hear your comments on your upgrade. I agree with you about the volume control and its skittish behavior; my 240 which was part of the first shipment of this model to the US developed this problem within a month. iriver replaced my unit and I never had a problem with it again. My SS has been perfect.

I didn't realize the 380 had this issue too.

Was your SS under warranty or did you have to pay for the replacement volume control? If so, how much did he charge?

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #513 of 735
oops, I now see you posted the cost.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #515 of 735
mmmm, 380cu ... 
wink_face.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #516 of 735
Can't wait to hear your comments on your upgrade. I agree with you about the volume control and its skittish behavior; my 240 which was part of the first shipment of this model to the US developed this problem within a month. iriver replaced my unit and I never had a problem with it again. My SS has been perfect.

I didn't realize the 380 had this issue too.

Was your SS under warranty or did you have to pay for the replacement volume control? If so, how much did he charge?

Sorry to mis wrote earlier. The 380cu doesn't have this problem at all. In fact the 380cu seems to have a different pot because when you turn it it has a click feel/sound to it.

Yes I am very excited about my mod. The only wish I had for the 240ss is to have a little stronger or tighter base and bAsed on the info from Vinnie site, that is exactly what it will do. in a way I think the 240ss is even faster and cleaner then the 380. It has such a transparent signature that I really enjoy.

Originally I could send it back to AK for repair under warranty but since I am modding the unit and it is just $50.00, so I just let Vinnie do it instead of having to send it out again for a second. I figure the trouble and shipping cost will cost more thAn that.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #517 of 735
Sorry to mis wrote earlier. The 380cu doesn't have this problem at all. In fact the 380cu seems to have a different pot because when you turn it it has a click feel/sound to it.

Yes I am very excited about my mod. The only wish I had for the 240ss is to have a little stronger or tighter base and bAsed on the info from Vinnie site, that is exactly what it will do. in a way I think the 240ss is even faster and cleaner then the 380. It has such a transparent signature that I really enjoy.

Originally I could send it back to AK for repair under warranty but since I am modding the unit and it is just $50.00, so I just let Vinnie do it instead of having to send it out again for a second. I figure the trouble and shipping cost will cost more thAn that.

1) Good to know.

2) That's the reason why I'm considering the upgrade too. I've read others who have claimed they prefer the sound of the SS over the 380.

3) Agreed.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #518 of 735
How does Vinnie actually fix it? What is done?

According to Vinnie, he will have to change the rotary encoder part-whatever that means I don't know. But If your pot is not exhibiting irratic behavior, AK won't fix it. It is a known problem with the 240. I also don't know if it has to be fixed under warranty or not. But either way, it is not a big problem or costly problem. In fact you can still use the on screen volume and control with your finger. It is not like you lost the volume function. The SS is a beautiful piece, enjoy.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #519 of 735
According to Vinnie, he will have to change the rotary encoder part-whatever that means I don't know. But If your pot is not exhibiting irratic behavior, AK won't fix it. It is a known problem with the 240. I also don't know if it has to be fixed under warranty or not. But either way, it is not a big problem or costly problem. In fact you can still use the on screen volume and control with your finger. It is not like you lost the volume function. The SS is a beautiful piece, enjoy.

Mine is definitely loose...It does click when turned, but there is play in it. This should not be happening for a luxury player such as this!

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #520 of 735

Mine is definitely loose...It does click when turned, but there is play in it. This should not be happening for a luxury player such as this!

The problem that Jalo is describing isn't a loose volume wheel. When the optical encoder goes bad, the volume adjustments happen erratically. For instance, you click the volume control up one step and instead of the number display going up one, it goes up several numbers, or sometimes it even goes down! In other words, each click of the volume wheel does not correspond to the expected volume increase/decrease.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #523 of 735
  Also is it normal for this player to get very hot? Im not even playing DSD files and its getting very very warm.

Yes, it will get really warm playing hi res PCM files. DSD files, even hotter.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #524 of 735
I wouldn't describe it as very very warm. It gets a little warm but there is no problem relating to heat issues for the past year and a half for me.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #525 of 735
Another question guys...When i try to adjust the EQ it makes no discernible difference to the sound at all...Am i doing something wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back