AIWA - a brand reborn?
Apr 6, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #16 of 70
By the way, what's "astro turf?"
AstroTurf is a fake grass. It’s a term used when there’s a campaign that’s designed to look like a grassroots (as in, organic, unpaid for, opinions) but are fake. Not saying that that is what you’re doing, just explaining why people might be skeptical of a new poster giving such a strong impression of a new product. (It can go both ways, BTW. That is, an AstroTurf campaign can be negative, too, if a competitor wants to tear down a competing product.)

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #17 of 70
I see. Well I am certainly no paid endorser. I wasn't aware this was an issue with your site. I'm just a music lover that enjoys finding affordable audiophile gear. I will do my best to learn the ropes here. I'm old school. I simply tell it like it is. No fluff.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #18 of 70
AstroTurf is a fake grass. It’s a term used when there’s a campaign that’s designed to look like a grassroots (as in, organic, unpaid for, opinions) but are fake. Not saying that that is what you’re doing, just explaining why people might be skeptical of a new poster giving such a strong impression of a new product. (It can go both ways, BTW. That is, an AstroTurf campaign can be negative, too, if a competitor wants to tear down a competing product.)
If my impressions seem strong, I will take that as a compliment to my description. As I stated in my earlier comment I may be new to this site but I am not new to high fidelity or audiophile equipment. I've been a "lurker" of this site for many years. Using the reviews on this site to acquire much of my personal audiophile collection.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #20 of 70
For me they look awesome. Small, nice, laconic and having personality to them (unusual shape). From what I see in specifications, they are just another earphones. Nothing special, nothing too bad. I'd probably get them to travel with.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #21 of 70
Thanks for your posts!
I had high - but obviously childish hopes as I contacted the recent Aiwa brand about a year ago and spoken to the sales responsible person.
The short story is I discovered that some products came out from this new Aiwa and contacted them.
I praised the old Aiwas and Sonys to him and told him that I (and others too) might be very happy if that quality
came back which was common with the older high end models (V99, V741, etc.)
I don't know where this group will head, but I have some hopes that they might consider something from those letters and ages :)
I might try this product someday too, but as of now I have to prioritize my spendings and if a vintage item comes
to my scope, I always buy that first, before any IEM. But it's good to read that it's decent.
I still hope that somehow the old ways come back in some form. Who knows who would bring that back. Maybe me...? :wink:

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #22 of 70
AstroTurf is a fake grass. It’s
It's merely a healthy skepticism. It's nothing personal. If my impressions corroborate yours in a week's time, it will only add to the wealth of information on this site.
I have to disagree with the "healthy skepticism". I am a member of many forums that discuss several different formats of audio. New members offering up an opinion on a $49 item aren't generally met with comments like "astro turf" or "marketing ploy". They are welcomed and watched by senior members. Now that you have set your tone I will be happy to respond in kind....I'm old school that way.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #23 of 70
I have to disagree with the "healthy skepticism". I am a member of many forums that discuss several different formats of audio. New members offering up an opinion on a $49 item aren't generally met with comments like "astro turf" or "marketing ploy". They are welcomed and watched by senior members. Now that you have set your tone I will be happy to respond in kind....I'm old school that way.

Agreed...no need to call out a 'newbie' without proof. Seems like a good way to turn them off to further contributions...

Thanks for your input! :beerchug:

Time (and additional reviews) will tell if the new Aiwa's got staying power or are just another Nakamichi, etc.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #24 of 70
Agreed...no need to call out a 'newbie' without proof.

How do you equate my healthy skepticism with "calling someone out"? All I posted is that I purchased the headphones and will post another review shortly.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #25 of 70
How do you equate my healthy skepticism with "calling someone out"? All I posted is that I purchased the headphones and will post another review shortly.
I prefer the approach that Mellymelsr outlined...

Do whatever you feel you need to do.

Thanks for your vigilance! :ksc75smile:

Mellymelsr said:

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #26 of 70
Awwww... Old memories.... Had an Aiwa portable casette player for about 6 years...

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #27 of 70
Thank you GearMe. And to Mr soundstige it absolutely felt like a call out. Do me a favor and imagine if someone did the same to you. Would you feel welcomed or be inclined to ever offer up an opinion? Most new members would quietly leave. Thankfully I'm not built that way.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #28 of 70
Thank you GearMe. And to Mr soundstige it absolutely felt like a call out. Do me a favor and imagine if someone did the same to you. Would you feel welcomed or be inclined to ever offer up an opinion? Most new members would quietly leave. Thankfully I'm not built that way.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #29 of 70
Do me a favor and imagine if someone did the same to you. Would you feel welcomed or be inclined to ever offer up an opinion?

Yes, absolutely I would, that's why I wrote my comment that way. I'd be thrilled to hear someone else is going to join in giving impressions on an item that I just gave, and my skin would be thick enough to not be bothered by the term "skeptic". My response would be somewhere along the lines of "Haha cool I understand, look forward to hearing your impressions!", not constant defensive posting.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #30 of 70
The second portion of your comment was absolutely fine. You should have started with a positive message not a negative one. That's my only point. I appreciate the discussion. We have both said our peace. I'm fine with moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back