AirPort friendly speaker system
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaydjay

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, this is my first post on here. I don't know anything so I'd like to ask you for advice, if I may.

I'm looking for a speaker system that I could connect to an AirPort to stream music from iPhone/mac/iPad, BUT that could also potentially be used to connect a record player/turntable (like the audio technica lp60/120 or something like that) Is this even possible ? Would an amp or mixer be necessary? I'm looking to spend $400/500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks very much,
JJ

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Optical out from Apple Airport Express into a stereo receiver that has both a fiber optic digital input and a phono stage for the record player would be an option.  Or 3.5mm out from the Airport to a stereo receiver with no digital in.  There's a speaker amp, and it likely also has a headphone output.  All in one box.  Just gotta find one that you like.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Optical out from Apple Airport Express into a stereo receiver that has both a fiber optic digital input and a phono stage for the record player would be an option.  Or 3.5mm out from the Airport to a stereo receiver with no digital in.  There's a speaker amp, and it likely also has a headphone output.  All in one box.  Just gotta find one that you like.

This is great mate! Thanks so much. Would you happen to have any recommendations?

Feb 5, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 7

And here are some good speakers to keep you in the $500 budget with those receivers: Cambridge Audio S30 or Wave Crest Audio HVL-1.

This is absolutely fantastic. I have a few questions for you though, if you don't mind. If I go with an AV receiver then should I then also include my Blu ray player/cable in the setup as well to ultimately have a home theater system - or are 2 speakers not effective enough for this? Like I was thinking either the Harman Kardon AVR 700 or AVR 1510 with all those HDMI inputs and then also an Apple TV, Blu Ray, cable and the record player.

And regarding the speakers, can they only be so-called "home theater" speakers or could I also connect something like the Yamaha hs5 studio monitors or Audioengine A5 or something like that

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 7
My 2¢ ( which is what it's worth) is to get an AppleTV instead of the airport to use with your AV receiver. You get HDMI to the receiver which in addition to sound gives you visual interface - and movie rentals. You can stream from most IOS devices.

Yes you should add your Bluray to the set up. A lot of people have 2 channel set ups for home theater/music systems. Consider making it a 2.1 system by adding a sub to take advantage of the low frequency output on the HT receiver. It separates out the low frequencies and send them to the subwoofer so that your bookshelf speakers can be freed up to handle the frequencies in their sweet spot.

I wouldn't go with computer speakers or powered monitors unless you already have them laying around. If you do use them they should be connected to the pre amp output of the receiver instead of to the speaker binding posts. This is a lower power output designed to send processed signals to an external amp. Most HT receivers can be used as pre amps.

There are a lot of speaker choices for this type of setup. I've used Axiom Audio M3's and if budget allows M22's with their EP 125 sub http://www.axiomaudio.com/bookshelf-speakers. They are direct buy and a really good value. Start with 2.1 then when you want to grow add a matched center and then surrounds. This is exactly how I built my system - even down to the AppleTV except I use an old style one with an upgraded hard drive as my music server.

I also have an airport express using optical out to a little NuForce Dia dac/amp and two B&W LM1 speakers (I bought used for $175) in my bedroom system. You can read about it here http://www.head-fi.org/t/654778/book-shelf-speakers/15#post_9278992. This might be a good budget solution for you as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back