AirPods
Mar 17, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #241 of 709
I really wanted to love the AirPods, but beyond the basic functionality I'm not impressed. Bass and treble are both lacking while mids are more than adequate. The only use cases for me considering the mediocre audio quality would be for a run and for podcasts, which were the reasons I bought it, but nonetheless I expected more for $159. Even in a wireless package, I'm not sure they're worth their price. 

The volume levels (80-90%) I think that they do sound full-bodied at cause ear pain after a short session, though I'll admit there is an impressive amount of detail resolution at that volume even if the overall sound is still lackluster. They do sound better than EarPods in most cases, but not significantly so. I'll give them more time.

6-7/10 as far as sound goes. Still very listenable though.

Treble is not lacking at all on AirPods. On the opposite it is quite pronounced. Bass on the other hand, is rather balanced, which gives this impression of "lacking". On earbuds and iems, bass needs to be +2/3 db in order to sound natural, since they don't have the benefit of body feeling of low frequencies that you get from speakers or even headphones. But, bass is still there on AirPods. They are actually ok in high/mid bass. But low bass is indeed vanished!

Additionally keep in mind that low bass is the frequency area with the least musical information. So you do not actually lose something by listening to a system without low bass. It's just this feeling of audio thickness that low bass offers to the spectrum which goes missing on AirPods! But that's all there is to it.

Also, AirPods are NOT mediocre as you write. They just are not high end. Let's try to be accurate...

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #242 of 709
There was a comment earlier about having the optimal angle with a slight insert but it gets lost when you move. Well, those Spigen wing tips I shared solve exactly that problem. By holding the AirPods in just the right spot you get a much more spacious soundstage that's even across frequencies (mids become lively and enjoyable + balance w/treble & bass where they used to get lost).

Seriously guys, best $10 you can spend to "mod your pod"

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #243 of 709
Treble is not lacking at all on AirPods. On the opposite it is quite pronounced. Bass on the other hand, is rather balanced, which gives this impression of "lacking". On earbuds and iems, bass needs to be +2/3 db in order to sound natural, since they don't have the benefit of body feeling of low frequencies that you get from speakers or even headphones. But, bass is still there on AirPods. They are actually ok in high/mid bass. But low bass is indeed vanished!

Additionally keep in mind that low bass is the frequency area with the least musical information. So you do not actually lose something by listening to a system without low bass. It's just this feeling of audio thickness that low bass offers to the spectrum which goes missing on AirPods! But that's all there is to it.

Also, AirPods are NOT mediocre as you write. They just are not high end. Let's try to be accurate...

Yes, perfectly listenable but not high-end. Mediocre by Head-Fi standards, very good by general consumer standards.

I do disagree with you on the bass though, it has a lack of representation that's less than neutral.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #244 of 709
Yes, perfectly listenable but not high-end. Mediocre by Head-Fi standards, very good by general consumer standards.

I do disagree with you on the bass though, it has a lack of representation that's less than neutral.

If you check the frequency response curve on the link I provided earlier here, you will see that they are ok up to 100Hz. From there on they drop really fast. So their bass area is balanced, just not pronounced enough, let's say. Just low bass and its sensation suffers on them...

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #246 of 709
  These are so convenient. Maybe try the SureFire Earlocks for a tighter fit?

I tried them and they're terrible. They're not only a pain to get on/off but they actually make the sound worse. They also cover the sensors, so you can't do the whole pause/play by removing/inserting.

I landed on these ones from Spigen and they're just such a better design from all angles: 
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-RA200-Airpods-Earhooks-pairs/dp/B01NAM69IJ/ref=pd_sim_23_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NAM69IJ&pd_rd_r=AFD04RWSBT10Y0YQN50Z&pd_rd_w=MIbNt&pd_rd_wg=hfO07&psc=1&refRID=AFD04RWSBT10Y0YQN50Z

They're more functional because the sensors work, sound better because of the focus on holding them in the proper position and also easier to install/remove for case charging without stretching them out.

As I said earlier, they take the airpod listening quality to a whole new level. By holding the speaker drivers just a little bit above the ear canal and optimizing the firing angle, you get so much more mid clarity and balanced sound across all frequencies. They also open up the soundstage because of said positioning.

For $10, I consider these a "no brainer" type AirPod accessory/mod for the Head-Fi community. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #247 of 709
I would definitely try AirPods again with these:

https://earskinz.com/collections/es3/products/es3-for-airpods-smoke

I wish I loved the sound since it's more convenient and comfortable than the BeatsX but neither impress me in the way I'd prefer. Not keen on keeping the BeatsX either, would definitely take the AirPods at the sale price I bought BeatsX for but they'll probably be sold out till gen 2 lol.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #248 of 709

I wish I loved the sound since it's more convenient and comfortable than the BeatsX but neither impress me in the way I'd prefer. Not keen on keeping the BeatsX either, would definitely take the AirPods at the sale price I bought BeatsX for but they'll probably be sold out till gen 2 lol.

Yeah those were the first ones I tried. They're a bear to get on/off. They make the sound worse. They get stretched out. They don't work with AirPod sensors, so they're always on.

If you're looking for something like this, try the Spigen set I've been recommending. It completely works, is easy to use and makes them sound better to my ears with more balance and expanded soundstage.

Good luck!

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #249 of 709
Yeah those were the first ones I tried. They're a bear to get on/off. They make the sound worse. They get stretched out. They don't work with AirPod sensors, so they're always on.

If you're looking for something like this, try the Spigen set I've been recommending. It completely works, is easy to use and makes them sound better to my ears with more balance and expanded soundstage.

Good luck!

Please stop giving false infos as well as spreading lies in order to advertise and earn your commission from Spigen, which you have been trying to sell fanatically for some time now in headfi. The product that MichaelSD is linking here is Earskinz for AIRPODS, not the previous older version. This newer version is especially made for AirPods, having ALL sensors open (just take a look at all holes presented on linked photos), in a way that AirPods function 100% normally with them...

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #251 of 709
Please stop giving false infos as well as spreading lies in order to advertise and earn your commission from Spigen, which you have been trying to sell fanatically for some time now in headfi. The product that MichaelSD is linking here is Earskinz for AIRPODS, not the previous older version. This newer version is especially made for AirPods, having ALL sensors open (just take a look at all holes presented on linked photos), in a way that AirPods function 100% normally with them...

Lol. I don't have time to shuck stuff on the internet. Just sharing my experiences. But yeah, you should probably buy the Spigens if you want to accessorize your AirPods with better stability and sound. They're also easy to get on/off the AirPods and I keep them in my pocket any time I leave the house without my Quad Drivers, MoFi or iSine20 but want a pocketable audiophile-ish experience out of my AirPods.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #252 of 709
Lol. I don't have time to shuck stuff on the internet. Just sharing my experiences. But yeah, you should probably buy the Spigens if you want to accessorize your AirPods with better stability and sound. They're also easy to get on/off the AirPods and I keep them in my pocket any time I leave the house without my Quad Drivers, MoFi or iSine20 but want a pocketable audiophile-ish experience out of my AirPods.

I don't see you apologizing though to the people of this forum, for the lie you wrote before that earskinz for AirPods are still covering the sensors!! Now you just say that they are difficult to get on/off and that they have worse sound:)) Sound is subjective my friend, so don't present yourself so sure around here!!

You say you don't have time to sell in internet but it seems you have a lot after all, since you write here continuously...

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #253 of 709

Has anyone tried these? Will the AirPods fit in the charging case with these covers on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back