AirPods
Mar 1, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #166 of 709
And one more thing that I forgot to write before: Can you and your "educated" point of view prove that the differences between Bluetooth and wires, which you claim existing, are audible from my and from the billions other humans' ears around the globe? No, you cannot! Congratulations for your "detailed" hearing but not all of us have or even care to have it...

Actually, there legitimately is a very significant (noticeable) difference in sound quality among solid wireless headphones and solid headphones/IEM at similar prices.
But it's more because "serious" (so pretentious) audio firms do not invest much in wireless headphones as it is in that wireless devices are just inferior.

If audio firms are given 100 dollars to spend on 'research' in audio.
I feel the current high end audio firms spend 99.50 dollars on wired and maybe .50 dollars on wireless.
Of course this will probably not be the case with more 'fashion' audio firms but in terms of audio firms that have been consistently renown for sound quality, those firms seemed to not really care much about wireless except its lower end products (around 30 dollar to 130 dollar range).

But as of potentials, I don't see much problem at all with wireless. In fact, who knows after these airpods over time, audio firms will start considering wireless headphone/in-ear more seriously and invest significant portion of their researches on it.

After all, wireless has the advantage of not be so annoying with wire tangles (yes, I know non-wire tangle wires exist but most headphone/in-ear dont have them and they honestly look ugly).
And for the 'you will lose wireless in the streets' idea. Ha. That's got to be the worst excuse ever. Heck, considering I have not lost any of my high end IEMs and I still use the same exact lead pencil I used since 4.5 years ago, I doubt it.
With more pricier items, consumers start taking care of the items properly. So I feel 'losing' should not be part of the 'wireless sucks' campaign.

Anyways I'm part of the #Wired_Headphone_Is_Better . Don't mistake me for otherwise :D

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #167 of 709
I agree completely with the above statement. Whilst I loved my vintage vinyl system when I had it, I'm first to admit I have completely embraced modern technology and recognise that it's better in almost every way - whilst the sound quality of a well set up MP3 playback system may not be as satisfyingly 'analogue' the sound is virtually as good without any of the hassle of having to get up to change sides and records, get up to make 'micro adjustments' to the volume and get sore knees or a crick in your back whilst painstakingly selecting the next record to listen to.

I like to think I have pretty good hearing for my age but truth be told some of the best recordings I have heard in recent years were actually very well encoded 160k VBR MP3's - just goes to show.

If I won the lottery perhaps I would consider a really nice analogue system again (along with a custom listening room to appreciate it in) but if I'm going to be honest I strongly suspect I would still do most of my listening from a streaming service.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #168 of 709
Actually, there legitimately is a very significant (noticeable) difference in sound quality among solid wireless headphones and solid headphones/IEM at similar prices.
But it's more because "serious" (so pretentious) audio firms do not invest much in wireless headphones as it is in that wireless devices are just inferior. :D

Sorry to disappoint you but there is nothing like that, especially after Apple's W1. It seems you stayed a bit behind... Maybe to your biased ears there could be a difference, but to mine and most other normal audio consumers' ears, Solo 3 wireless sound way better than the wired one. Apple goes wireless means that wireless got the necessary basic audio quality for not biased people to enjoy. And that's all we do...

And since there is no proof to what my or your ears really hear or what you think that they hear, there is no reason to go on debating...

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #169 of 709
If I won the lottery perhaps I would consider a really nice analogue system again (along with a custom listening room to appreciate it in) but if I'm going to be honest I strongly suspect I would still do most of my listening from a streaming service.

I have the same thoughts as you. The convenience of streaming services and fidelity of AirPods are definitely good enough for normal listening.
The hassle of achieving the last few bits of fidelity is not worth the trouble, unless I want to listen to my favourites.
I want to enjoy the music, not the sound reproduction of the device(s).

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #170 of 709
I have the same thoughts as you. The convenience of streaming services and fidelity of AirPods are definitely good enough for normal listening.
The hassle of achieving the last few bits of fidelity is not worth the trouble, unless I want to listen to my favourites.

Exactly! I agree 100%!

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #171 of 709
Sorry to disappoint you but there is nothing like that, especially after Apple's W1. It seems you stayed a bit behind... Maybe to your biased ears there could be a difference, but to mine and most other normal audio consumers' ears, Solo 3 wireless sound way better than the wired one. Apple goes wireless means that wireless got the necessary basic audio quality for not biased people to enjoy. And that's all we do...

And since there is no proof to what my or your ears really hear or what you think that they hear, there is no reason to go on debating...

Uhm...
I did say:
But it's more because "serious" (so pretentious) audio firms do not invest much in wireless headphones as it is in that wireless devices are just inferior.
the current high end audio firms
Of course this will probably not be the case with more 'fashion' audio firms but in terms of audio firms that have been consistently renown for sound quality, those firms seemed to not really care much about wireless except its lower end products (around 30 dollar to 130 dollar range).

Beats are 'fashion' audio products............
Solo 3......
I am not denying you but in terms of pure sound quality at that price range, the reason why this head-fi is so insistent (and stubbon) on wired headphone/iem is that in that price range, you are also competing with products like Hifiman HE400i (open headphone) / DUNU 2000j (iem).

But I do agree wireless has quite a few advantages over wired.
There are so many instances in which I am like "AHHH!" after by mistake I pull the chord (accidentally).
And I have tried the Solo 3 quite a chunk in the Apple Store (being in New York makes me just visit the Apple Store downtown every other week for no reason but through sheer boredom). I think there is noticeable difference between the Solo 3 and really ugly looking products like the HD650 (maybe not 'better' but definitely a difference in sound quality).
That stated, the apple airpods look pretty cool and is indeed a huge move forward. Makes me wonder why my own IEMs need wires... :/

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #172 of 709
Uhm...
I did say:
Beats are 'fashion' audio products............
Solo 3......
I am not denying you but in terms of pure sound quality at that price range, the reason why this head-fi is so insistent (and stubbon) on wired headphone/iem is that in that price range, you are also competing with products like Hifiman HE400i (open headphone) / DUNU 2000j (iem).

But I do agree wireless has quite a few advantages over wired.
There are so many instances in which I am like "AHHH!" after by mistake I pull the chord (accidentally).
And I have tried the Solo 3 quite a chunk in the Apple Store (being in New York makes me just visit the Apple Store downtown every other week for no reason but through sheer boredom). I think there is noticeable difference between the Solo 3 and really ugly looking products like the HD650 (maybe not 'better' but definitely a difference in sound quality).
That stated, the apple airpods look pretty cool and is indeed a huge move forward. Makes me wonder why my own IEMs need wires... :/

For info regarding Solo 2/3 you can visit site innerfidelity where as you may know Tyll is a real knowledgeable audiophile who calls Solo a really solid headphone! Bass is pronounced but without hiding mid and highs, in a way that treble offers a sweet but clear result without causing ear fatigue and without presenting any harshness. And all these with the W1, completely and successfully wireless! What more do you need to enjoy music? What HE400 and Dunu are you talking about? If you call this headphone fashion audio product then yes my ears love this "fashion" item and I wish dunu and any small dunu could offer that complete "fashion" audio package as well!

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #173 of 709

I agree 100%.  This is similar to the photography adage "the best camera is the one you have with you."  I don't have my P9's and an amp with me all the time.  That is my #1 preferred headphone with an amp or Dragonfly Red, but if I don't have room for that, the P7 Wireless sounds really almost as good and is much easier to get out, power on and start playing in seconds.  The AirPods take it a level further.  They are just in my pocket.  I find myself in a waiting room, in 15 seconds I'm listening to music in very admirable quality.  Not as good as the P9 or the P7 Wireless, but perfectly acceptable listening.

For me the AirPods are a compromise for convenience.  And for that, they can't be beat for $160.  They are an outstanding value in my opinion.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #174 of 709
Wasn't planning on purchasing a pair, but the Apple Store I was demoing these in had just gotten these in stock so I figured I'd give them a chance.

Initial first song impressions: impressive pairing process with very good bordering on excellent mids along with quite decent bass and treble.

I had gotten a bit annoyed of having to fit the Solo3 on my head and it was a bit uncomfortable with styled hair. Digging the AirPods so far. Sound is very, very good for truly wireless earbuds. Better than EarPods. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if these came from Sennheiser. They have the classic Sennheiser sound with detailed mids and an adequately open soundstage.

Apple has genuinely worked some magic into their wireless headphones since the wireless AAC performance is indistinguishable from if not better than it would be wired.

It's a close-to-neutral sound that doesn't emphasize any particular frequencies while managing to fit better-than-expected sound into the enticing package.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #175 of 709
Mids are seriously well-done. I can pick up details I hadn't even noticed on the Momentum. This is a quality product from a technological as well as a sonic perspective.

Damn, I can hear details in guitars and vocals I hadn't heard before.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #176 of 709
Don't get me wrong, the Momentum are more intricate and airy with more resolving frequencies but there's no shame in AirPods.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #177 of 709
Very good but they do fall short of excellence. Audio quality isn't going to blow anybody away. I'm a bit undecided on the aesthetic as well.

They do feel weightless though. If I didn't know that the AirPods existed I would've assumed that somebody just cut the cord off of a pair of EarPods and that they were just parts from that. They don't seem like they'd pack the technology/battery that they do.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #178 of 709
I was happy with the Solo3 for a while but truth be told I have yet to find a wireless headphone that's 100% satisfactory.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #179 of 709
The sound does improve if you take a second to make sure they're perfectly inserted. Definitely better bass response as expected with them placed a bit deeper -- basically just by inserting them and placing a bit of pressure on them so they're more snug.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #180 of 709
The sound does improve if you take a second to make sure they're perfectly inserted. Definitely better bass response as expected with them placed a bit deeper -- basically just by inserting them and placing a bit of pressure on them so they're more snug.

What do you think about the lack of noise isolation? This is my only problem with the AirPods...Try using them in the tube or in a busy street and let us know your point of view...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back