AirPods
Mar 8, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #181 of 709
What do you think about the lack of noise isolation? This is my only problem with the AirPods...Try using them in the tube or in a busy street and let us know your point of view...

I think it's actually a positive as AirPods have particular use cases. On a busy street it's more advisable to be aware of your surroundings than it is to be completely isolated. AirPods are out-and-about or running headphones where you'd want full awareness. I know I don't like walking outside with ANC headphones. AirPods are just not great travel headphones but I don't think they're made for transit.

Solo3 do sound better though and offer excellent passive isolation. I'm a bit torn still. But I could buy a dozen pairs of headphones and still be undecided lol.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #182 of 709
I think it's actually a positive as AirPods have particular use cases. On a busy street it's more advisable to be aware of your surroundings than it is to be completely isolated. AirPods are out-and-about or running headphones where you'd want full awareness. I know I don't like walking outside with ANC headphones. AirPods are just not great travel headphones but I don't think they're made for transit.

Solo3 do sound better though and offer excellent passive isolation. I'm a bit torn still. But I could buy a dozen pairs of headphones and still be undecided lol.

I got all 3 W1 headphones, PB3, AirPods and Solo3 and I can say that every headphone has its uses where it exceeds the others. I just find no use for the all cabled and mediocre beats X though. I can't understand why Apple produced this particular iem...You are right about needing full awareness when you are out and about...some say even that AirPods do not "hide" audio information when on external noisy conditions and that even though they do not seal at all they can provide you with full audio even when there are many noises around you. This is not exactly my experience though, but I would like to hear your opinion on this...

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #183 of 709
I'd recommend these Spigen attachments for any Head-Fi'er reading this who owns AirPods: \

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-RA200-Airpods-Earhooks-pairs/dp/B01NAM69IJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1488966603&sr=8-4&keywords=spigen+airpods

They bring the mids to LIFE and expand the soundstage! They're better than I was hoping, by a long shot. I think Apple probably has excellent engineers who built some great drivers for these things. The problem is the buds never are in the exact right spot. I know how to get them there but when I move, they move and the sound pivots, losing frequencies.

I've found they really bring the AirPods from "the camera on you is the best camera" to "damn, these new phones have damn good cameras." 
They new nip at my Blue MoFi the same way a current smartphone nips at DSLR as opposed to the cameras of 4ish years ago being so damn far but still the best camera on you. They're that good, to me at least.

Here's a fitting tip: When you put them in your ear: press the hook into it's crevice and then push the bud in. I think in this position, you have a comfortable fit and the speaker is probably firing in a more directed/even way. I think there's a bit more stability for the driver overall, for bass response. It's a bit less "flubby"

Overall, they bring a really coherent picture together where you'll listen to your heaphone tracks and be floored with the difference. Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #184 of 709
What do you think about the lack of noise isolation? This is my only problem with the AirPods...Try using them in the tube or in a busy street and let us know your point of view...

I don't think you can expect earbuds to be able to isolate noise well. That feature is simply not inherently present in a pair of earbuds. Just trying to make a point here, it is like me asking you to comment the inability of a fishing rod to shoot a deer..

I think Apple is pretty clear in advertising the AirPods as a lifestyle product. For that matter, I don't think you can find anything better than the AirPods. Others are trying too hard to cram too many things (Bragi) others are simply lacking in terms of battery life (IconX); and both RRPs are pricier than the AirPods. These will just disappear in you ears and they have not fallen from my ears even once. It is also easier for you to achieve optimum fit with them compared to IEMs as you don't need to play around with tips that fit you and the IEMs well. Optimum in this case means the optimal (as designed) distance between the driver(s) and your ear drums.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #185 of 709
I'd recommend these Spigen attachments for any Head-Fi'er reading this who owns AirPods: \

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-RA200-Airpods-Earhooks-pairs/dp/B01NAM69IJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1488966603&sr=8-4&keywords=spigen+airpods

They bring the mids to LIFE and expand the soundstage! They're better than I was hoping, by a long shot. I think Apple probably has excellent engineers who built some great drivers for these things. The problem is the buds never are in the exact right spot. I know how to get them there but when I move, they move and the sound pivots, losing frequencies.

I've found they really bring the AirPods from "the camera on you is the best camera" to "damn, these new phones have damn good cameras." 
They new nip at my Blue MoFi the same way a current smartphone nips at DSLR as opposed to the cameras of 4ish years ago being so damn far but still the best camera on you. They're that good, to me at least.

Here's a fitting tip: When you put them in your ear: press the hook into it's crevice and then push the bud in. I think in this position, you have a comfortable fit and the speaker is probably firing in a more directed/even way. I think there's a bit more stability for the driver overall, for bass response. It's a bit less "flubby"

Overall, they bring a really coherent picture together where you'll listen to your heaphone tracks and be floored with the difference. Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

Wow thanks for the link! I can see how they can improve the sound from the AirPods. The speakers have to be positioned such that they are firing directly into your ear cavities. These tips will ensure you get the proper angle each time.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #186 of 709
I don't think you can expect earbuds to be able to isolate noise well. That feature is simply not inherently present in a pair of earbuds. Just trying to make a point here, it is like me asking you to comment the inability of a fishing rod to shoot a deer..

I think Apple is pretty clear in advertising the AirPods as a lifestyle product. For that matter, I don't think you can find anything better than the AirPods. Others are trying too hard to cram too many things (Bragi) others are simply lacking in terms of battery life (IconX); and both RRPs are pricier than the AirPods. These will just disappear in you ears and they have not fallen from my ears even once. It is also easier for you to achieve optimum fit with them compared to IEMs as you don't need to play around with tips that fit you and the IEMs well. Optimum in this case means the optimal (as designed) distance between the driver(s) and your ear drums.

I am well aware of all these facts that you mention since I also own the AirPods. I didn't ask him to comment why there is no isolation on earbuds, for goodness sake! I know that earbuds do not isolate!...If you read my texts carefully you will see that I asked if he agrees with some people believing that AirPods give you the whole audio information even in noisy environments, even without sealing, without hiding frequencies... I think it's quite simple...

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #187 of 709
I am well aware of all these facts that you mention since I also own the AirPods. I didn't ask him to comment why there is no isolation on earbuds, for goodness sake! I know that earbuds do not isolate!...If you read my texts carefully you will see that I asked if he agrees with some people believing that AirPods give you the whole audio information even in noisy environments, even without sealing, without hiding frequencies... I think it's quite simple...

Ah I am really sorry I misunderstood your comment. Anyway, these being non isolating, I don't think you will be able to appreciate the sound coming from them fully in noisy environment. I may be wrong though.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #188 of 709
Ah I am really sorry I misunderstood your comment. Anyway, these being non isolating, I don't think you will be able to appreciate the sound coming from them fully in noisy environment. I may be wrong though.

From my experience when in busy street with a lot of machine noises or in tube, I miss the lower volume background music passages, but the main instrument playing is well heard and presented even with external noises getting into your ears. On the other hand when someone beside talks to you or in general medium volume noises exist in the surroundings they cause no problem at all to AirPods' audio offering. It's indeed a solid headphone, which also appears unbelievably easy to insert and use, stable in the ear, consistent in the whole spectrum's presentation even after extreme head's movements (on the opposite of many iems which change their presentation depending on insertion and ear movements), and with quite good audio quality!

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #189 of 709
Update - they don't bring true isolation but they do isolate more than the naked 'pods. 

Also, for the fit, the best tips I have are to have the wing-tip from the attachments laying FLAT against your earlobe while also having the down-facing stem aligned in the groove toward the bottom of your ear (if you guys have similarly shaped ears.)

Excited to hear impressions from others but these little things changed the game for me in terms of my satisfaction of the Airpod sound quality. (again, comparing to hi-fi is like comparing a current iphone camera to good DSLR, the parts are just optimized for the mobile-first and pocket-portable design but it's now genuinely great for what it is)

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #190 of 709
I got all 3 W1 headphones, PB3, AirPods and Solo3 and I can say that every headphone has its uses where it exceeds the others. I just find no use for the all cabled and mediocre beats X though. I can't understand why Apple produced this particular iem...You are right about needing full awareness when you are out and about...some say even that AirPods do not "hide" audio information when on external noisy conditions and that even though they do not seal at all they can provide you with full audio even when there are many noises around you. This is not exactly my experience though, but I would like to hear your opinion on this...

I agree with you -- with too much ambient noise music will be drowned out. Other than their ability to get louder than the EarPods the AirPods are no better in this regard. Some songs won't be enjoyable in loud areas since too much backing detail will be lost.

I was expecting to enjoy the sound signature the more I listened to them but they're really pretty lackluster audio-wise. They're not my choice of headphones if I was sitting down, but if I'm active the fit and convenience really work wonders. That being said one day in I'm also not getting used to the aesthetic. Probably going to return or sell my pair.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #191 of 709
Not a huge fan of the sound, besides the mids which do bring out some backing vocals I hadn't noticed before.

I think that the biggest company in the world should be able to produce an excellent-sounding wireless headphone, but then I think maybe they deliberately kept the AirPods' bass response anemic so that Beats headphones can fill in the gaps. They do need to differentiate all the headphones they sell, and the main thing general consumers will listen for is the difference in bass.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #192 of 709
Not a huge fan of the sound, besides the mids which do bring out some backing vocals I hadn't noticed before.

I think that the biggest company in the world should be able to produce an excellent-sounding wireless headphone, but then I think maybe they deliberately kept the AirPods' bass response anemic so that Beats headphones can fill in the gaps. They do need to differentiate all the headphones they sell, and the main thing general consumers will listen for is the difference in bass.

You're right, but on the other hand keep in mind that due to lower bass all voices and rest spectrum comes out clearer which is important for a headphone targeted also to phone call users in tube and other noisy places. If something is bass heavy when in noisy environment, you end up hearing nothing, since the frequencies bearing the whole information are kinda hidden in bass forward headphones. If it was creating a seal it would be different story, but I know no one who likes speaking seriously on the phone without being able to hear his voice! It's a rather awkward experience! So it's a perfect compromise for many different uses and many different consumers.

On the other hand all audiophiles prefer low bass headphones. They used to like a lot Etymotic in ears which had practically no bass at all, preferring the bright and detailed treble over a bass forward presentation. So, here's the AirPods sound!!

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #193 of 709

The AirPods' bass is definitely not anemic if they fitted properly in your ear.
In fact, I find it too much at times and detracts from the balanced sound signature, and I'm comparing them to the bassy UE TF10.
However, the bass does gets very light when they not tightly fitted in my ears.

Check out other IEMs at 2-3 times the price and let us know whether they sound that much better.

Just return the AirPods if you don't like them.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #194 of 709
The AirPods' bass is definitely not anemic if they fitted properly in your ear.
In fact, I find it too much at times and detracts from the balanced sound signature, and I'm comparing them to the bassy UE TF10.
However, the bass does gets very light when they not tightly fitted in my ears.

Check out other IEMs at 2-3 times the price and let us know whether they sound that much better.

Just return the AirPods if you don't like them.

Could you clarify what exactly you mean by "tight fit" on earbuds?? Earbuds are not made to fit tightly because they are not iems!!! What exactly do you do? Do you push the speaker part inside the hole of your ear?:)) But the speaker is shallow so it cannot get inserted and stay stable in any ear!! It's also round and slippery so after 10 seconds it would go out to its initial position...These are made to stay at the outside of the ear and taking advantage of this ear's part as well for the sound reproduction. Airpods never fell out of my ears even when turning my head upside down, and they are really comfy to me, but I cannot speak about "tight fit" for AirPods, since it is contradiction in terms...AirPods are not made to be tight, they are made to sit loosen and comfy on the outer part of our ears...

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #195 of 709
On the other hand all audiophiles prefer low bass headphones. They used to like a lot Etymotic in ears which had practically no bass at all, preferring the bright and detailed treble over a bass forward presentation. So, here's the AirPods sound!!

I beg to differ. Etymotics definitely do not have "practically no bass at all" (Check out their frequency response graph).
Based on measurements by Rin Choi, I think it's safe to assume the typical "bright and fatiguing" is partially due to a shallower than designed insertion depth, which boosts the mids and treble. (Check out his blog)
Having said that, their bass is less than the typical IEM and it's also a matter of preference.
For me, I prefer the coherency and be able to listen to the instruments as they sound in real life than a strong bass.

Try listening to the instruments in the bass frequencies in complex pieces (metal, orchestras etc) and you will realise most bass boosted IEMs loose a lot of coherency and sound unnatural compared to their counterparts in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back