AirPods Max
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #5,583 of 5,629
For those who have had the APM since release, exactly what kind of changes to the sound signature have been made now with firmware updates?
Thats very hard to pin down since you would have to own two sets that don't update at the same time...
Everything coming from memory won't reflect those minute changes.

Nov 30, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #5,584 of 5,629
For those who have had the APM since release, exactly what kind of changes to the sound signature have been made now with firmware updates?

No matter what the changes are, they are so small that it is not night and day. I would assume it is mainly improvements in the algorithms for noise cancelling and the new adaptive mode that affects the sound.

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #5,585 of 5,629

For the APM, I have not seen any evidence yet of a deliberate change of intended tuning over time (ie any differences that I have seen could simply be caused by other variables such as positional variation, improper measurement methodology - this matters a lot for AirPods - or sample variation. But it could be that latter firmwares are more effective at delivering the intended targets at lower frequencies in case of a seal breach ?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #5,587 of 5,629
If I enable sound accomodations via iPhone (audiogram) is this maintained even when connecting them to the MacBook?
Thank you
Sadly not. It only works with iPhone and iPad, but not on Mac or Apple Watch.

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #5,589 of 5,629
If I enable sound accomodations via iPhone (audiogram) is this maintained even when connecting them to the MacBook?
Thank you
Just FYI. Unfortunately the accommodations not only affect the frequency response but also the dynamic range. So the adaptations with an audiogram are unfortunately not suitable for most audiophiles (which want to just change/adapt the sound signature but not dynamics).

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #5,590 of 5,629
Just FYI. Unfortunately the accommodations not only affect the frequency response but also the dynamic range. So the adaptations with an audiogram are unfortunately not suitable for most audiophiles (which want to just change/adapt the sound signature but not dynamics).

Well the audiogram seems to make a positive impact on my AirPods. Appears to lighten the sound signature. Without the audiogram the sound is veiled to my ears.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #5,592 of 5,629
Curious, but how do you know this? I can imagine the preset accommodations will use compression, but why would an audiogram decrease dynamic range?

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #5,593 of 5,629
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #5,594 of 5,629
I don‘t know what audiology says. Maybe it‘s because people with hearing loss anyway have different threshold levels for low volume tones.
One link where it‘s described is this here:

https://hearingreview.com/inside-he...h-headphone-accommodations-as-hearing-devices
This is not about how the AirPods sound when playing music. It’s about transparency mode and how they are tuned to improve external speech discernment through compression and some boosting. This is not about music playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back