AirPods Max
Mar 31, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #5,252 of 5,629
Did spatialise stereo get worse or did the magic of it just wear off. I was listening to everything with it on and loving the extra stage it seemed to provide... now it just sounds flimsy and processed...
It is all the same to me, on both MacBook Air m1 and on iPhone 13 pro max. Really impressive stage and depth!
Edit: I concluded that head tracked is finally superior than fixed, which I had been using for some time. Now I use the head tracked option and I am impressed.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #5,253 of 5,629
So I just got my Airpods Max. The only Apple device I have is a AppleTV4k 2019. I dont have an iPhone and I dont have an ipad.

First thing I did was updated all firmware/software on the ATV4k box. Then I went into Bluetooth and paired the AirPods Max. Says Connected and Spacial Audio says "Enabled". Model # A2096, Firmware 4C165. hardware version 1.0.0.
I have a 1 gig up and 1 gig down fiber line from AT&T. Long press the TV button on the Apple TV remote and select the headphone icon to see if I am getting Atmos or not.

Summary:

Now working on Netflix: The Adam Project- Atmos works

AppleTV Movies Library: Avengers- Atmos works (Every movie I bought was on VUDU ported over to AppleTV)

VUDU (Not working): Avengers- No Atmos, Aquaman- No Atmos, Ready Player One- No Atmos

Prime Video: The Tomorrow War- Plays in Atmos although doesn't state in description

Disney+ (Atmos not working): Eternals- No Avengers End Game- No, Shang Chi- NO, Mulan- NO. Last Jedi-No Settings Automatic 4k UHD 7.7 GB/hr. When going into description they all say Dolby Vision but not Dolby Atmos. When playing they all say "Multi-Channel" not Atmos,

Paramount Plus (not working but I have essential plan which doesnt include): A Quiet Place II

Youtube (not sure): If I go to one of the Dolby Atmos demo videos it just says its playing Stereo.

HBO Max (working Atmos) Wonder Woman, Justice League

Movies Anywhere (not working). Dont think its supported. Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars rise of Skywalker.

My biggest concern is why Disney+ is not working since I can watch all my VUDU movies thru AppleTV
Also, how do you update the firmware on the Airpods Max?

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #5,255 of 5,629
I might be mistaken, but to my knowledge only iPhones and iPads can do it. I believe that an upcoming update to Mac OS Monterrey will enable it for some Macs.
What is the latest firmware version for the Max headphones?
Answer: Looks like its 4C165

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #5,256 of 5,629
What is the latest firmware version for the Max headphones?
Also, just found out on my LG CX tv that has Atmos enabled internal speakers, you can trick Disney+ to allow Atmos to pass to the Max. Take off your headphones, start the movies using internal Atmos tv speakers, put the headphones on and it passes the Atmos stream to the headphones. This does not work with VUDU. I tried it.

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #5,258 of 5,629
Also, just found out on my LG CX tv that has Atmos enabled internal speakers, you can trick Disney+ to allow Atmos to pass to the Max. Take off your headphones, start the movies using internal Atmos tv speakers, put the headphones on and it passes the Atmos stream to the headphones. This does not work with VUDU. I tried it.

Everything used to work fine with Atmos and H1 headphones on Apple TV (Vudu included), except Disney where you had to use the speaker to headphone swap trick.

One of the tvOS firmware borked some apps for it. I would complain to Vudu on their forum, if there isn't a thread there already.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #5,259 of 5,629
Apple TV has a Bluetooth Audio Sync calibration. It works, but you have to set it up multiple times for each Resolution/Dynamic Range/Frame Rate option. You will need an iPhone/iPad to do this. You could get something like a used iPhone SE 1st Gen 2016 on the cheap to do so.

In my opinion, the Airpods Max are too "dark" for the compressed Atmos/Multichannel mode on Apple TV. That's where the Beats Fit Pro or Airpods Pro come in. That treble region lost with the Max comes back into play here. BTW, you can update the Beats Fit Pro and check your seal with an Android.

There's also the issue of comfort for a 2 hr movie session. The 3rd gen Airpods (not pro) is like wearing nothing at all (at least for me), but lacks movie quality bass.

You could get an Xbox Series S or X for Dolby Vision and Atmos for headphones (for any headphone)...but no head tracking.

I see you have the A16 on order. There's also this, but I don't know anything about it:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-rN8NAdLJqCM/p_257EPEXT1/JVC-XP-EXT1.html?
Interesting. I've never used or seen that function on my ATV 4K, lol. I just throw the APMs on and have never had any problems (that I've noticed) with lip sync or any other timing delays etc. Is it worth setting up regardless?

I like 'dark' personally. I think the APMs sound profile with darker movies like the Snyder Cut SuperBatman thingy works well, and to be honest, I sat through the whole 4 hours with zero discomfort. I can't stand overly shrill treble and I personally feel Apple got the balance right. There's no sibilance or graininess, it's pretty smooth to my ears, but obviously everyone's comfort tolerance and ears differ.

My only gripes with the APM are:

No EQ - but that's Apple's steadfast resistance to give us one, not a the APMs fault per se.
The ear pads absorb sweat and need regular cleaning with anti-bac wipes - first world problems.
Battery life - it's pretty poor, average at best....but at least they still function normally whilst charging unlike some other brands.

The ANC and transparency mode are still the best I've experienced to date.

Overall I think Apple have done a good job with the APM and the Fit Pro, considering they're not hifi experts. Both can be maxed out with zero distortion and the sound profiles of both are easy to get on with. Not perfect, but perfection is the enemy of good enough.

Looking forward to AP Studio, or whatever they call the next cans, and AirPods Pro 2. Hopefully by then they will have come up with their own proprietary high bandwidth wireless to finally rid of us of sh1tty bluetooth. Although that will inevitably mean yet another change of hardware to suit....new phone, new ATV etc.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #5,260 of 5,629
Interesting. I've never used or seen that function on my ATV 4K, lol. I just throw the APMs on and have never had any problems (that I've noticed) with lip sync or any other timing delays etc. Is it worth setting up regardless?

I like 'dark' personally. I think the APMs sound profile with darker movies like the Snyder Cut SuperBatman thingy works well, and to be honest, I sat through the whole 4 hours with zero discomfort. I can't stand overly shrill treble and I personally feel Apple got the balance right. There's no sibilance or graininess, it's pretty smooth to my ears, but obviously everyone's comfort tolerance and ears differ.

No EQ - but that's Apple's steadfast resistance to give us one, not a the APMs fault per se.
The ear pads absorb sweat and need regular cleaning with anti-bac wipes - first world problems.
Battery life - it's pretty poor, average at best....but at least they still function normally whilst charging unlike some other brands.

Overall I think Apple have done a good job with the APM and the Fit Pro, considering they're not hifi experts. Both can be maxed out with zero distortion and the sound profiles of both are easy to get on with. Not perfect, but perfection is the enemy of good enough.

Looking forward to AP Studio, or whatever they call the next cans, and AirPods Pro 2. Hopefully by then they will have come up with their own proprietary high bandwidth wireless to finally rid of us of sh1tty bluetooth. Although that will inevitably mean yet another change of hardware to suit....new phone, new ATV etc.
I would actually say the no EQ support is an APM fault (since the issue is the manufacturer of the APM not supporting it in any degree). I should probably clean my pads, luckily Apple sells spares, though they're on the pricier side at 70 bucks. I found the battery life average. Not the best.

I actually find AAC256 to be pretty transparent. For me I'd be indifferent if they pushed a higher bitrate BT codec, but I know a lot of people want it.

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #5,261 of 5,629
Was playing around with some extension tubes and focus stacking, they're not perfect, but they are AirPods Max related.

DSC00867_st.jpg

DSC00885_st.jpg

Apr 3, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #5,262 of 5,629

Re: Audio Sync. If you have no issues or are not highly sensitive to audio sync, leave it be. I suspect issues arise depending on the display/your "chain"/and/or one's ATV4K settings.

I am just grateful the spatial audio tech for movies is out there to enjoy. Apple has 4 different "flavors" to pick and enjoy it with currently. I watched "The Godfather" overnight with the "lowly" Airpods 3 while these sat in the corner:

P_20210623_162052~2.jpg

"Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli"

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #5,263 of 5,629
If you have lip sync issues with APM and ATV, try disabling the head tracking ->"To disable dynamic head tracking for all apps on Apple TV 4K, double-click on the Siri Remote, select Settings > Accessibility > AirPods, then turn off Center Audio on TV." from Apple Support page.

That solved all the lip sync issues I had. I guess that the wireless audio sync is more for wireless bluetooth speakers rather than the headphones? But I may be wrong. But try the above. I dont feel Im losing anything with disabling head tracking while watching on a TV. Still superb surround/spatial.

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #5,265 of 5,629
Airpod Max seems to be holding its value, still around $500..
The build quality still amazes me, Apple is top notch in mechanical design, parts selection and assembly.. 👍
Besides the ear pads, are any of the other parts available for purchase? I'd love a blue headband and matching ear pads for my space grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back