AirPods Max
Jan 25, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #5,131 of 5,629
I think it's been there since I got them but it happened like one or two times a day so I didn't think much about it but over the last two days it's been more frequent which leads me to think it's the hardware and not just a software issue. I've read about some people going through several headphones with various issues. Hopefully I'm not that unlucky and will get the repaired or replaced because I really like them when they work.
Same here - Amazon replaced mine no problem. Pretty sure it is a hardware issue & will get worse over time based on my experience. I would seek a replacement - my replacement APM have not had any similar problems running the same firmware. Good luck.

Jan 27, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #5,132 of 5,629
My pair were sent off for repair but came back with the same problem! clicking then cutting out on one side then the next etc. Have now tried for a second time! Hopefully I’ll get a replacement this time. It seems this is a more common problem then first thought. My Apple shop reckons they’ve hardly heard of any problems with the Max. Mine are around 7-8 months old.

Jan 27, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #5,133 of 5,629
Does anybody know if there is any wiring in the headband itself? I just thought it was all metal and mesh. 🤷‍♂️

I was stretching out the headband liberally and heard a little crack sound. Everything is ok with them, just wondering...

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #5,135 of 5,629
Hi, I have a similar problem. If I touch the left ear cup there’s a click and the sound/Bluetooth cuts/ drops. It then cuts out on the right side. Despite rebooting several times I still have the problem. I’ve now taken them to Apple and they sent them off for repair. I was hoping they would swop them out but they said they hadn’t come across this before! I will update when I get them back.
As far as my guess goes, Apple's H1 chip was supposed to provide a more stable connection. However, I believe it or its surrounding processes has a small cache of memory, which gets filled up after a few months and starts to contribute to the connection instability. All three AirPods of mine have the exact same problems as yours. Once I replace it, it's ok for 5-6 months then start to have the same problems again and again. Apple needs to implement a code to refresh the cache from time to time.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #5,137 of 5,629
As far as my guess goes, Apple's H1 chip was supposed to provide a more stable connection. However, I believe it or its surrounding processes has a small cache of memory, which gets filled up after a few months and starts to contribute to the connection instability. All three AirPods of mine have the exact same problems as yours. Once I replace it, it's ok for 5-6 months then start to have the same problems again and again. Apple needs to implement a code to refresh the cache from time to time.
That does not sound correct to me. What should fill up a cache over months? A cache is by definition a transient memory section, which is forgotten when the thing that holds it reboots…
Yes, Bluetooth receivers buffer to overcome temporary connection problems. It does not use any kind of permanent storage for that purpose I’m sure.
The only thing written to permanent storage is the pairing, but that doesn’t change after the fact. So no accumulation of problems there either.
Did you try resetting and re-pairing your AirPods when those problems occur? Was this always with the same iPhone?
So far I’ve owned two pairs of the second gen AirPods, the AirPods Pro and the AirPods Max. Not one of them is showing any connection problems, so I don’t think this is a bug with either the hardware or the software, but just a problem with some specific AirPods (I.e. defective units).

Jan 29, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #5,138 of 5,629
That does not sound correct to me. What should fill up a cache over months? A cache is by definition a transient memory section, which is forgotten when the thing that holds it reboots…
Yes, Bluetooth receivers buffer to overcome temporary connection problems. It does not use any kind of permanent storage for that purpose I’m sure.
The only thing written to permanent storage is the pairing, but that doesn’t change after the fact. So no accumulation of problems there either.
Did you try resetting and re-pairing your AirPods when those problems occur? Was this always with the same iPhone?
So far I’ve owned two pairs of the second gen AirPods, the AirPods Pro and the AirPods Max. Not one of them is showing any connection problems, so I don’t think this is a bug with either the hardware or the software, but just a problem with some specific AirPods (I.e. defective units).
In my experience, it clearly worked better when only paired with one device. But, I connect multiple airpods with multiple apple devices. I work on IT side by the way.

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #5,139 of 5,629
In my experience, it clearly worked better when only paired with one device. But, I connect multiple airpods with multiple apple devices. I work on IT side by the way.
I suspect problems with the automatic device switching for quite some time… did you try disabling that option?
I don’t see an option to explicitly pair with multiple devices though? I only know about that pairing that’s bound to one’s Apple ID

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #5,140 of 5,629
I suspect problems with the automatic device switching for quite some time… did you try disabling that option?
I don’t see an option to explicitly pair with multiple devices though? I only know about that pairing that’s bound to one’s Apple ID
The issue he’s having is likely the automatic device switching. The APM doesn’t pair with multiple devices at once, but it tries to connect to the device it thinks you’re using. The algorithm has gotten better with time, I’m not sure if it used ML to learn how you use your devices over time.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,141 of 5,629
The issue he’s having is likely the automatic device switching. The APM doesn’t pair with multiple devices at once, but it tries to connect to the device it thinks you’re using. The algorithm has gotten better with time, I’m not sure if it used ML to learn how you use your devices over time.
That is my impression as well. Good intention, yet not a perfect implementation. But yes, it seems to have gotten better over time.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #5,142 of 5,629
Spigen’s new AirPods Max stand available in black and white. Looks really nice and has a slot for MagSafe and a magnet to hold onto the APM’s charging cable. Only real downside is that the stand is a little tight if you have the APM in the Apple-supplied carrying pouch to put it to sleep.

7173D1DD-64B3-41AD-AD9A-5F72A00C6F0A.jpeg

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #5,144 of 5,629
As an update my APM’s have now been finally received a replacement pair and so far they sound great with no more problems! They seem to sound even better than before , not sure if this is just my ears playing tricks or maybe the fault caused other problems? ( My old ones were on the latest firmware).

Did you keep the same pads or did Apple send you new pads as well ?
For me new and broken in pads produce some differences in the 1-3kHz region in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back