AirPods Max
Sep 3, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #4,801 of 5,629
Where did you get the rubber guards from? Do the headphones still fit in the case ok…

I'm not sure about their specific ones, but there are a bunch on Amazon and AliExpress. Most of them work well and do what they do.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #4,802 of 5,629
Where did you get the rubber guards from? Do the headphones still fit in the case ok…
On Amazon a while ago, there’s a bunch of generic brands. I went for the ones with more open cutouts on the top so that it’s less likely for stuff to be obstructed. They do a pretty good job of preventing scuffs to the metal and fit just fine if you stuff them in the case.

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #4,803 of 5,629
Dolby Atmos new album of Deafheaven/Infinite Granite on Apple Music with the APM. Really awesome sound! Impressive dynamics throughout the whole spectrum. I am really impressed and loved my APM once again!
Solid recommendation! This album sounds amazing on the APMs.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #4,804 of 5,629
What are peoples thoughts on using Spatialise Stereo for non-Atmos songs? In some ways I like how much bigger songs feel, but on the other hand it can feel like the artist is in a hollow room and feel a bit echo-y.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #4,805 of 5,629
Just got AirPod Max today.
Tried with Apple TV 4k, beta TVOS and some of my Amazon Prime series.
Wasn't wowed at first.
Then realized that the stock firmware was old.
After the update the whole spatial presentation seems to have changed (bias?).
Have just watched TENET on ITunes.
Really a nice cinematic experience.
Bass is really nice, growling and punchy for action movies.
Daily usage indoor for answering calls, watching some movies or uncritical music listening while working in the house is really very good.
ANC is the best I have listened to so far

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #4,806 of 5,629
Wasn't wowed at first.
Daily usage indoor for answering calls, watching some movies or uncritical music listening while working in the house is really very good.
How did you update firmware on Airpod Max?
Did you try Prime Movies again?

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #4,807 of 5,629
How did you update firmware on Airpod Max?
Did you try Prime Movies again?
It updated automatically.
Just connected to IPhone and charging.
Watching my usual Series such as Startrek Lower Decks 😉 on Prime Video
I have to say surround Panorama is mediocre (compared to a surround speaker setup) but haven't listened better cans for that purpose honestly.
But the overall u shape signature and especially bass performance is giving me some cinema feeling.
Also music performance is quite good.
If not doing A-B with my other gear it's really decent for casual listening doing housework etc, not the typical boom box can - I had expected much worse performance before tbh.

What is more these cans just work in Apple universe.
No finicky dealing with cables, booting your DAP etc.
Just wear and play, switch to Apple TV, answer a phone call etc

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #4,808 of 5,629
It updated automatically.
Just connected to IPhone and charging.
Watching my usual Series such as Startrek Lower Decks 😉 on Prime Video
I have to say surround Panorama is mediocre (compared to a surround speaker setup) but haven't listened better cans for that purpose honestly.
But the overall u shape signature and especially bass performance is giving me some cinema feeling.
Also music performance is quite good.
If not doing A-B with my other gear it's really decent for casual listening doing housework etc, not the typical boom box can - I had expected much worse performance before tbh.

What is more these cans just work in Apple universe.
No finicky dealing with cables, booting your DAP etc.
Just wear and play, switch to Apple TV, answer a phone call etc
My current Headphones set up for evening Watching in front of my main Screen is as follows:
Nvidia Shield {audio set as stereo pcm. Dolby off] >>> USB CABLE TO >>> RME ADI-2 DAC (it has a remote control) >>> Focal Clear MG headphones.

the above set up is stereo as my headphones DAC doesn’t do Atmos into headphones. I don’t have hi-fi surround system.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,809 of 5,629
My current Headphones set up for evening Watching in front of my main Screen is as follows:
Nvidia Shield {audio set as stereo pcm. Dolby off] >>> USB CABLE TO >>> RME ADI-2 DAC (it has a remote control) >>> Focal Clear MG headphones.

the above set up is stereo as my headphones DAC doesn’t do Atmos into headphones. I don’t have hi-fi surround system.
Nice
Focal Clear MG is Imho one of best price value cans with resolution, punch and some timbre (compared to OG).
If it was about multi channel high fidelity we would need look for one of these multi channel to stereo converters like Beyerdynamic used to produce.
But of course simpler to user some all in one DSP solution in Apple micro cosmos

Edit: and not every even TOTL headphone is good for movies...

E.g my Trailliis are very musical, holografic but don't sound real for movies, my Denons are having a too close in your head presentation.

Best one for me so far were
- MEST MKII (V shape signature) with even better sub bass than Airpod Max with better technicalities
- Philips Fidelio X1 (one of my first hifi cans)
- Airpod Max

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #4,810 of 5,629
Nice
Focal Clear MG is Imho one of best price value cans with resolution, punch and some timbre (compared to OG).
If it was about multi channel high fidelity we would need look for one of these multi channel to stereo converters like Beyerdynamic used to produce.
But of course simpler to user some all in one DSP solution in Apple micro cosmos
I have seen your signature has Sennhieser Ambeo listed. I am saving up for it. Maybe this time next year. I has it as a test version. Totally amazing. Incredible.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4,811 of 5,629
I have seen your signature has Sennhieser Ambeo listed. I am saving up for it. Maybe this time next year. I has it as a test version. Totally amazing. Incredible.
😉
Consider though that you need the room shape for it.
Open walls on one side and heavy curtains in the sonic reflection zones are killing its multichannel performance

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4,812 of 5,629
Chaps, reading the official press it seems that spatial audio still isn't supported on Prime Video but being rolled out on Netflix?
What am I listening to then on Prime Video on Apple TV 4k with latest beta OS?
Can it be that it's "just" stereo but with head tracking enabled?

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #4,813 of 5,629
Wasn't wowed at first.
Does Apple TV support any additional codecs or is it limited to AAC@256kbps like iOS?

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #4,814 of 5,629
Chaps, reading the official press it seems that spatial audio still isn't supported on Prime Video but being rolled out on Netflix?
What am I listening to then on Prime Video on Apple TV 4k with latest beta OS?
Can it be that it's "just" stereo but with head tracking enabled?

Long press the home button on the Siri remote, with APM playing.

Scroll to the headphone icon and click it. It will tell you the channel format.

Additionally, you can toggle Spatial on and off from that same screen. Do an A and B test to see if there is a difference.

Prime should have proper Spatial audio. At least, the last time I checked.

--------

On another topic:

I am surprised Apple hasn't cashed in on the modular nature of the APM by now. They could offer many different types of headbands and ear cushions. They sell the cushions individually, but I was hoping for ones with different material, not just the same ones that already come stock.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #4,815 of 5,629
Long press the home button on the Siri remote, with APM playing.

Scroll to the headphone icon and click it. It will tell you the channel format.

Additionally, you can toggle Spatial on and off from that same screen. Do an A and B test to see if there is a difference.

Prime should have proper Spatial audio. At least, the last time I checked.

--------

On another topic:

I am surprised Apple hasn't cashed in on the modular nature of the APM by now. They could offer many different types of headbands and ear cushions. They sell the cushions individually, but I was hoping for ones with different material, not just the same ones that already come stock.
Thx.
So Spatial Audio seems to work on Amazon Prime too - see Screenshot.
German translation:
Prime Video - Multi channel

Attachments

• 24A41714-9620-4972-8EB7-2640A7C6F46A.jpeg
    24A41714-9620-4972-8EB7-2640A7C6F46A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back