AirPods Max
May 31, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #4,171 of 5,629
It is RTP (UDP with a header) with retransmission... Just because it is UDP doesn't preclude retransmission... you just have to handle it yourself or use the relevant RFC (RFC 4588).
Ah, cool. Thanks for correcting me. So it is similar to HTTP 3 (QUIC) in terms of how it handles retransmission on the application layer, yet still uses UDP as the transport. As opposed to leaving TCP to handle it automatically.

May 31, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #4,172 of 5,629
Ah, cool. Thanks for correcting me. So it is similar to HTTP 3 (QUIC) in terms of how it handles retransmission on the application layer, yet still uses UDP as the transport. As opposed to leaving TCP to handle it automatically.
In that way, yes, but RTP retransmission and RTSP are way older.... RFC4588 is July 2006, for example and RTSP 1.0 is even older.

Jun 1, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #4,176 of 5,629
Sorry, I can't. It was told in confidence by someone that anyone would call an expert in this field.
They don’t need to be synchronous and indeed for IP transmission over an unconstrained network it may be a very bad thing since you have network jitter buffers before you decode the audio. You do need source clock recovery which is different. Now, I’m not saying Airplay is wonderful here and I don't know exactly what Apple does but the protocol has been decoded for others to see on the web, and I'm assuming that is somewhere close to accurate.

Would you be kind enough to let the your expert talk to me, in confidence, via DM? I'm happy to stand corrected as a humble engineer.

Note: As you can probably tell from the above, this was my work domain for a long time. It isn't now.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,178 of 5,629
How strong is the bass in this can's, if you use the bass booster the bass turns muddy or have some definition?
These already have a sub-bass focus that is pretty strong. I personally wouldn’t EQ the bass any higher.

Edit: if you’re on iOS it might be a tad bit difficult to EQ the bass anyways :p

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #4,179 of 5,629

I'm increasingly interested in bringing my APM outdoors. Even though I don't really like them portability-wise and in operational terms, I just can't stand anymore the other modern BT over-ears I have (I've had to exchange my Bose 700 multiple times because of the hinge mechanism for example, and I've had enough with the SQ).
I'm looking into a way to protect the cups and I quite enjoy the idea of fabric protections (instead of transparent or silicone ones). Has anyone found an alternative to Spigen's fabric covers ? @tinyman392, have you kept using them ?

Something that I think I'd rather have is a simple fabric cover without plastic support, with an elastic / drawstring where the cups narrow. Something very simple and lightweight, just to reduce the likelihood of scratches.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #4,180 of 5,629
I'm increasingly interested in bringing my APM outdoors. Even though I don't really like them portability-wise and in operational terms, I just can't stand anymore the other modern BT over-ears I have (I've had to exchange my Bose 700 multiple times because of the hinge mechanism for example, and I've had enough with the SQ).
I'm looking into a way to protect the cups and I quite enjoy the idea of fabric protections (instead of transparent or silicone ones). Has anyone found an alternative to Spigen's fabric covers ? @tinyman392, have you kept using them ?

Something that I think I'd rather have is a simple fabric cover without plastic support, with an elastic / drawstring where the cups narrow. Something very simple and lightweight, just to reduce the likelihood of scratches.
I’ve went back to naked cups personally. Even when outdoors. That said, the Spigen ones do work great still. I may go back to them for a little while. I have not seen an alternative to the Spigen for a cloth based one. I do see leather ones that appear on AliExpress.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the Bose headphones.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #4,182 of 5,629
6 weeks with these beauties now, and alas it's time to say goodbye!

I spent a good 14 days using only these and airpods pros as an experiment, to see if the apple ecosystem could deliver everything. And also to see how much auto pairing, and general features won me over.

And they did in a way. At one point I had that thought I've seen expressed here all over "heck, this could be all I need". Lots of fun to use.

But when I started using other sets again, boy oh boy, the SQ difference hit me. For instance I got some PI7 tws earbuds in the midst of my APM run, and they sound damn good. The midrange missing on the APM was filled right in, the airpods max are crispy, clear to my ear, while the PI7 are warm, powerful, and luscious.

Anyway, after swapping gear out and trying many things, I've noticed the convenience/tech side (which is Apple's chief selling point) is outweighed by superior sound quality of other options, for me at least. Going back to APM was a bit jarring after a week with some wired headphones and the PI7 as my portable buddies!

I'll miss em. Great design. But in the end for me it's all about music.

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #4,183 of 5,629
I tried the APMs and really l liked the way they sounded along with all the Apple integration benefits. Unfortunately, the did not fit me well as they hurt my ears after an hour or two of wearing them. I thought after a few days of wearing them I would break them in but that didn't happen so I had to return them. :frowning2:

Jun 5, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #4,184 of 5,629
6 weeks with these beauties now, and alas it's time to say goodbye!

I spent a good 14 days using only these and airpods pros as an experiment, to see if the apple ecosystem could deliver everything. And also to see how much auto pairing, and general features won me over.

And they did in a way. At one point I had that thought I've seen expressed here all over "heck, this could be all I need". Lots of fun to use.

But when I started using other sets again, boy oh boy, the SQ difference hit me. For instance I got some PI7 tws earbuds in the midst of my APM run, and they sound damn good. The midrange missing on the APM was filled right in, the airpods max are crispy, clear to my ear, while the PI7 are warm, powerful, and luscious.

Anyway, after swapping gear out and trying many things, I've noticed the convenience/tech side (which is Apple's chief selling point) is outweighed by superior sound quality of other options, for me at least. Going back to APM was a bit jarring after a week with some wired headphones and the PI7 as my portable buddies!

I'll miss em. Great design. But in the end for me it's all about music.
Yea. The APM are great for overall listening and convenience/tech perks (noise cancellation and wireless), but they don’t excel in the mids or treble. They do them good enough to enjoy any music, like they don’t butcher anything, but they don’t make you go “wow” the way various great wired options can.

Personally, I prefer them for sound quality still over exceptional sounding gear at times, since they are so healthily clear and enjoyable overall - whereas the “exceptional” wired headphones can be, at times, bad in some ways. Primary example: HD800 S. Fantastic headphones, wired high tier audiophile offering, but shrill to some ears in the treble and lacking in sub bass, despite having great clarity and soundstage.

The APM are a bit recessed in mids to some, but overall hit the frequency range, the clarity, the soundstage, ok enough to enjoy all music well.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #4,185 of 5,629

Are those spigen ones still plastic on the inside? Like the material that touches the airpod max cups is plastic right? Just that the outside is lined with some fabric ish material?

I've been using these silicon ones mainly since the top portion is more open and convenient to interact with the buttons as opposed to other ones with cutouts https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SJDZF3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back