AirPods Max
May 19, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #4,111 of 5,629
I believe this. It would be incredibly unlikely for them to add Apple Lossless just to remain competitive despite 99% of users not being able to take advantage of it.

It would end up being a waste of bandwidth for millions of users to imminently stream Apple Lossless via 264kbps Bluetooth AAC.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #4,112 of 5,629
May 20, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #4,114 of 5,629
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021...pdates-designed-for-people-with-disabilities/

Apple is adding the ability to import Audiograms from paper or PDF. Useful if you are getting it done professionally. I wonder how different the results could be compared to using the apps.
Nice find...unfortunately they don't say when this functionality will be available (I'm on the latest 14.6 beta and it doesn't seem to be there yet). I happen to have an audiogram made by a professional a few months ago, it has some differences to the one using the Mimi app. I don't know enough to say if it's significant though, also the one made by a professional has a 125Hz measurement, not found on the Mimi App (maybe because it's the free version, I didn't check).

May 20, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #4,115 of 5,629
Apple is between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, they put out a wireless only product range and on the other hand they were forced by competition to put out a lossless/hi-res music service. Apple knits it services and hardware very tightly, but BT cannot carry hi-res so people in the Apple ecosystem are feeling screwed.

For Tidal &c this is not an issue - you want to listen to hi-res? Just plug in your headphone to your player/phone. Within a pure Apple ecosystem there is nothing to plug into anything.

Seems like one of the rare cases of left hand vs right hand at Apple.

May 20, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #4,116 of 5,629
These are multi-team many months in work projects, a lot of company politics and promos in the work, so sad to see them not keeping the unity as they usually do. A bit of a PR hell for them right now, but I am sure they are aware of this and have future plans to address it.

May 20, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #4,117 of 5,629
Apple is between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, they put out a wireless only product range and on the other hand they were forced by competition to put out a lossless/hi-res music service. Apple knits it services and hardware very tightly, but BT cannot carry hi-res so people in the Apple ecosystem are feeling screwed.

For Tidal &c this is not an issue - you want to listen to hi-res? Just plug in your headphone to your player/phone. Within a pure Apple ecosystem there is nothing to plug into anything.

Apple kind of did dig towards Amazon and Spotify for adding hi-res though. But adding no additional charge for it (since the might have already had capacity to do so) they are forcing the competition to either offer it for free to match (cutting off any profits which would allow their comp to regain net costs of the service) Or be more expensive while possibly not offering the 3D features (which could cause people to swap from comp to Apple, resulting in probably more catastrophic loss).

May 20, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #4,118 of 5,629
Being on the side of "AAC 256 is really good enough", I hope Apple doesn't push the lossless envelop too much. I guess I understand why they decided to have that option (concurrence), but now they can't answer "It makes no difference" to the people angry at them for not making the AirPods "eligible". Now if they decide to modify something on the wireless communication protocol level to make that contradiction go away, I wouldn't take it if it means impact on battery consumption or worsening of the wireless performance.

May 20, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #4,119 of 5,629
One functionality I would love from the AirPods (max, pro..) would be stereo recording. I don't know if it's possible (does bluetooth allow it ?), but it would be nice to do some binaural recording.

May 20, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #4,120 of 5,629
Being on the side of "AAC 256 is really good enough", I hope Apple doesn't push the lossless envelop too much. I guess I understand why they decided to have that option (concurrence), but now they can't answer "It makes no difference" to the people angry at them for not making the AirPods "eligible". Now if they decide to modify something on the wireless communication protocol level to make that contradiction go away, I wouldn't take it if it means impact on battery consumption or worsening of the wireless performance.
The issue with getting it to work is more hardware than software. Apple would either need a novel and incredible compression algorithm that is lossless or something that supports faster transfer rates stably.

May 20, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #4,121 of 5,629
This makes no sense to me. Why wouldn’t we want Apple to “push the envelope” in Bluetooth performance. That’s what technology and innovation are supposed to do. Your points about performance and battery are fair but even if apple did improve on AAC, it would be a choice not a requirement. Look at android - you are free to choose from SBC, Aptx, AptxHD and LDAC. No reason why Apple couldn’t do the same.

May 20, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #4,122 of 5,629
I meant pushing the envelop like giving priority to bandwidth (so that lossless would "fit") in detriment to, for example, connection quality (my airpods pro can be pretty far way from my iPhone, with walls in between before the connection drops). If there is a solution with no drawback, I would of course welcome it even if I don't personally have use for lossless, hi-res, etc. I hope it makes sense, English is not my natural language.

May 20, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #4,123 of 5,629
I meant pushing the envelop like giving priority to bandwidth (so that lossless would "fit") in detriment to, for example, connection quality (my airpods pro can be pretty far way from my iPhone, with walls in between before the connection drops). If there is a solution with no drawback, I would of course welcome it even if I don't personally have use for lossless, hi-res, etc. I hope it makes sense, English is not my natural language.
Yes I understand and a lot of people would agree that the trade offs may not be worth it but that’s not Apples way. They wouldn’t do it unless there were no or very few drawbacks. I think it would be as simple as having a toggle to choose codecs just like the toggle to choose. If Apple won’t update BT at least give us a system wide EQ. I’d take that as a consolation prize.

May 20, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #4,124 of 5,629
May 20, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #4,125 of 5,629
Apple's motives for not immediately disclosing the next step in bringing the Airpods Max over to Airplay may actually be purely political and have a relation with the lawsuit versus Epic. What Forbes mentions in the below article makes perfect sense. Thank God there are leaks...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...sic-lossless-dolby-atmos-free-iphone-upgrade/
AirPlay still requires WiFi though. I'm not sure if there is a WiFi chip in any of the AirPods. Unless they have a other wireless radio in the AirPods that is capable of higher bandwidth, it won't work. In any event, I feel like if there was an unused WiFi chip or other radio in the AirPods to support AirPlay, it would require the AirPods to be registered through the FCC for that. But if you look for those registrations, they don't exist.

Regarding the idea of making the lossless feature specific towards AirPods being anticompetitive... I kind of disagree with it, any pair of wired headphones would work with it still.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back