AirPods Max
Jan 26, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #2,746 of 5,629
Check the 4th and 5th characters in the serial number. Before DG is bad, after DH is good.

https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=20811

I use a small Curaprox CS1006 dental brush to gently clean the black meshes and the small microphone opening at the bottom of the stem regularly.

https://curaprox.us/shop/toothbrushes/single-tuft-toothbrushes/cs-1006

May I ask how I go about checking their production date? My serial number ends in LKKT if that’s of any helps. I’m quite certain that the ANC is worse than when first received. Perhaps I’m getting too used to the max?

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,747 of 5,629
Check the 4th and 5th characters in the serial number. Before DG is bad, after DH is good.

https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=20811

I use a small Curaprox CS1006 dental brush to gently clean the black meshes and the small microphone opening at the bottom of the stem regularly.

https://curaprox.us/shop/toothbrushes/single-tuft-toothbrushes/cs-1006
Thank you. Fourth and fifth for me are C1. I believe they’re still covered by AppleCare, so I suppose I can try and contact Apple. I usually use some blu tak very gently to clean the openings.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #2,748 of 5,629
If I shut off ANC I don't get any of the weird issues that occurred. I did notice that bone conduction (more or less any sort of internal ANC vs external) got considerably worse with time and that was the major issue I had with them. I did eventually start getting "clicking" noises eventually which prompted me to ask for a replacement. But if I shut off ANC and transparency that clicking issue went away entirely. I think the primary issue was that the internal microphone that is used for ANC and AdaptiveEQ got loose or something so movements which changed the air pressure in the ear pressing up against it caused it to click similar to a pair of IEMs that have a very bad driver flex.

So yes, it affected all APP owners, but was only had audible issues while ANC or transparency was in use in my experience. If you shut off both ANC and transparency, the issue went away.

I really have difficulty to understand your way of thinking. Why to shut off the ANC feature?? That is why i bought them at first place, isn’t it?? So the product is obviously flawed, defective, isn’t it? And it took 1 year for Apple to admit it. Is this a serious behavior from a so big company? And then some people here speak about Sennheiser, which even much much smaller has proven over the years how much respectful they are of their customers and of audio quality in general. For sure APM is facing same production and quality control issues which will be rectified in the second iteration. As simple as that...

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,749 of 5,629
May I ask how I go about checking their production date? My serial number ends in LKKT if that’s of any helps. I’m quite certain that the ANC is worse than when first received. Perhaps I’m getting too used to the max?

LKKT are the last four digits of the serial number for cases originally meant to contain the older revision of the earbuds (serial number ends by JQH3 or JQH4).
You don't really have to bother with the manufacturing date, just look at the last four digits of the serial number of the earbuds themselves, it should be 0C6J or 0C6K for the newer revision. And the mesh for the pressure vent is slightly recessed.
At least when it comes to the ANC, the recessed mesh should mitigate the risk of it getting clogged up (which is the cause of the phenomenon whereby ANC performance is diminished, but you still pass the ear fit test and the bass level remains fairly similar when ANC / transparency are enabled, but not when they're off - if the APP functions properly bass levels are similar in all three modes). Regarding the other issues I don't know what their causes are.
Regarding the APM, I'd be quite interested in knowing what the effects of the droplets on the drivers are. Tinyman392 noticed certain phenomenons when ANC or transparency modes are enabled if I understand properly.
Would the FR curve measure differently with droplets on the driver ?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,750 of 5,629
LKKT are the last four digits of the serial number for cases originally meant to contain the older revision of the earbuds (serial number ends by JQH3 or JQH4).
You don't really have to bother with the manufacturing date, just look at the last four digits of the serial number of the earbuds themselves, it should be 0C6J or 0C6K for the newer revision. And the mesh for the pressure vent is slightly recessed.
At least when it comes to the ANC, the recessed mesh should mitigate the risk of it getting clogged up (which is the cause of the phenomenon whereby ANC performance is diminished, but you still pass the ear fit test and the bass level remains fairly similar when ANC / transparency are enabled, but not when they're off - if the APP functions properly bass levels are similar in all three modes). Regarding the other issues I don't know what their causes are.
Thank you. It appears I have 0C6J and K. As you’ve mentioned I still pass the ear fit test, but the bass seems to be slightly elevated in Off compared to ANC on. I suppose there’s no harm in having them checked over by Apple, even if the process is a little longer due to stores being shut.
Thanks again for the insight.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #2,751 of 5,629
Thank you. It appears I have 0C6J and K. As you’ve mentioned I still pass the ear fit test, but the bass seems to be slightly elevated in Off compared to ANC on. I suppose there’s no harm in having them checked over by Apple, even if the process is a little longer due to stores being shut.
Thanks again for the insight.

Before asserting that, play pink noise before playing anything with ANC off. Then switch to ANC on or transparency mode. Don't switch from ANC on / transparency mode to ANC off and only listen for a few seconds.

I'd be surprised if ANC failed in a perfectly symmetrical fashion on both earbuds at the same time. So one way to test for ANC failure is to put your APPs on, connect them, let's say, to your iPhone, and then play single tones between 100-300hz on your speakers. If you notice an asymmetry in terms of isolation (the tone is louder on one earbuds vs. the other) and yet both earbuds pass the ear fit test, ANC is failing.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,752 of 5,629
I really have difficulty to understand your way of thinking. Why to shut off the ANC feature?? That is why i bought them at first place, isn’t it?? So the product is obviously flawed, defective, isn’t it? And it took 1 year for Apple to admit it. Is this a serious behavior from a so big company? And then some people here speak about Sennheiser, which even much much smaller has proven over the years how much respectful they are of their customers and of audio quality in general. For sure APM is facing same production and quality control issues which will be rectified in the second iteration. As simple as that...

I never said it wasn’t defective. I said all products manufactured before Oct 2020 were affected. In no way shape or form did I say there was no issue. I said the issue existed, affected all products (produced prior to Oct 2020), and mainly only affected the (internal) ANC feature. What part of that says that I’m saying there is no issue or to brush it under the rug? I feel like you’re reading way too much into my messages further than what I’m actually writing (maybe even going so far as assuming I‘m saying something when I’m not).

Edit: explaining the issue and what I think is causing it != downplaying or ignoring the issue. It’s quite the opposite IMO.

Edit 2: I’ve also gone so far as saying that not 1, but 2 of my APP I’ve had (original and replacement) have had the issue...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,753 of 5,629
Realistically, he’s not breaking any rules with what he’s done. He has had opinions, albeit strong ones, despite never actually owning the product he’s got said strong opinion about. It’s still allowed. That said, if his posts are bothering you that much, you could block him. That would edit this entire thread (and all others unfortunately) to not include any posts from him (but only for you, obviously). If you like other posts he’s made in other threads, then this wouldn’t be a good option.

I reported him already, hope site will take action. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,754 of 5,629
I never said it wasn’t defective. I said all products manufactured before Oct 2020 were affected. In no way shape or form did I say there was no issue. I said the issue existed, affected all products (produced prior to Oct 2020), and mainly only affected the (internal) ANC feature. What part of that says that I’m saying there is no issue or to brush it under the rug? I feel like you’re reading way too much into my messages further than what I’m actually writing (maybe even going so far as assuming I‘m saying something when I’m not).

Edit: explaining the issue and what I think is causing it != downplaying or ignoring the issue. It’s quite the opposite IMO.

Edit 2: I’ve also gone so far as saying that not 1, but 2 of my APP I’ve had (original and replacement) have had the issue...

For me the same, Apple replaced mine twice, both of them. I just got the 0C6J/K ones, one week ago and they are now operating fine finally. Sorry, it seems I misinterpreted your comment. I apologize.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #2,757 of 5,629
That would defeat the point of this thread if it's just going to be a positive circlejerk about the greatness of the APP.

I'm a potential buyer but will wait for Version 2 due to the condensation issues.

If no one reported the faults, I would be out 900 AUD.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #2,758 of 5,629
That would defeat the point of this thread if it's just going to be a positive circlejerk about the greatness of the APP.

I'm a potential buyer but will wait for Version 2 due to the condensation issues.

If no one reported the faults, I would be out 900 AUD.

But this is the APM thread and not the APP thread :p So I do understand the comment; it can be annoying when things get off topic. Regarding condensation, I'm able to replicate it, but only by more or less doing a lot of activity outdoors in sub-zero weather for a good hour and then brining it indoors (a nearly 50F/25C difference in temperature going from outdoors to indoors). I actually am curious to know it'll respond in the summer and spring though. I've never actually checked my other headphones for condensation (mostly because it's a hassle to pull of the ear pads) on most of them. I may test this scenario with my B&W PX, but they have softer and cloth-like materials underneath the ear pads that seem like they'll just absorb any sort of water/condensation that would occur.

Edit: to be honest, that could be a solution for Apple to deal with the condensation issue. A little bit of softer more absorbent material over some of the plastics. Though this might also create some unwanted damping (their computational audio could probably deal with that though, possibly).

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #2,759 of 5,629
But this is the APM thread and not the APP thread :p So I do understand the comment; it can be annoying when things get off topic. Regarding condensation, I'm able to replicate it, but only by more or less doing a lot of activity outdoors in sub-zero weather for a good hour and then brining it indoors (a nearly 50F/25C difference in temperature going from outdoors to indoors). I actually am curious to know it'll respond in the summer and spring though. I've never actually checked my other headphones for condensation (mostly because it's a hassle to pull of the ear pads) on most of them. I may test this scenario with my B&W PX, but they have softer and cloth-like materials underneath the ear pads that seem like they'll just absorb any sort of water/condensation that would occur.

Edit: to be honest, that could be a solution for Apple to deal with the condensation issue. A little bit of softer more absorbent material over some of the plastics. Though this might also create some unwanted damping (their computational audio could probably deal with that though, possibly).

I will admit this is the first time ever I have seen anything of this nature and its not acceptable at this price point.

Maybe the batteries in the APM are creating a pocket of air which leads to humidity condensing on the drivers or our body heat might be acting as a source of heat for the headband which could lead to condensation trickling down to the drivers. The headband, if its hollow might be acting as a vapor chamber. Its all guesswork but these are the only 2 sources of heat i can suggest

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #2,760 of 5,629
With regards to the condensation issue I believe it has to do with most elements being coupled with the outer housing which is acting as a heat sink.

I covered one side with a hand to bring it up to temp, then continued to listen for a few hours.

The pre-warmed side showed less condensation than the other, but it was still present.

I can only imagine that as the headphones have more metallic components than some others, such as where the cups sit as well as the outer enclosures, the area is kept considerably cooler than any heat emitted by the head once wearing them. I’m also wondering if the foam itself on the pads are contributing to create this warmer side by not breathing as well as other materials?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back