AirPods Max
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,701 of 5,629
The cable is to reduce latency for video editors, music producers, etc. For those users, it's essential.
Indeed, though I'm guessing that Apple's primary motivation and use case for providing a cable connection for their ANC headset is to allow connection to in-flight entertainment systems.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2,702 of 5,629
APMs still impress me, I know that they’re using AAC but still, there’s some magic happening.

Especially on this track, at the 3:00 minute mark, the song shifts from being quiet and intimate into a full blown orchestra with HUGE sounds! :)

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #2,703 of 5,629
I've been listening to the Airpods Max for a week. The sound is great. They're super comfortable to wear. The industrial design is what you would expect from Apple: modern, understated, and high precision. All the material is modern with no cliche elements like leather pads or huge insignia. It's a real pleasure to wear them and listen to music.

If you're not overly picky, then the Airpods Max is basically a $550 end-game headphone.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,704 of 5,629
All the material is modern with no cliche elements like leather pads or huge insignia.

Cliche leather earpads? Really?? The majority of bt/anc headphones don't having leather eat pads, they having imitation leather. For some people, like me, real leather (that only available in very few models) is the only material that preventing the ears getting (very) hot and/or sweating.

Apple no huge insignia? Really?? In all the MacBook Pros I have in many years, the big (for me) Apple logo showing outside in the top, specially in previous models when the big Apple logo is lighting when you using the laptop, isn't really "understated", is saying for everybody "THIS IS APPLE LAPTOP!".

Is ok liking or even loving Apple products, but some comments are really showing real famboyism for Apple.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #2,705 of 5,629
Cliche leather earpads? Really?? The majority of bt/anc headphones don't having leather eat pads, they having imitation leather. For some people, like me, real leather (that only available in very few models) is the only material that preventing the ears getting (very) hot and/or sweating.

The Airpods Max obviously have fabric earpads. Nothing close to leather or faux leather. Feel free to use leather; I don't care. It's a trite material.

Apple no huge insignia? Really?? In all the MacBook Pros I have in many years, the big (for me) Apple logo showing outside in the top, specially in previous models when the big Apple logo is lighting when you using the laptop, isn't really "understated", is saying for everybody "THIS IS APPLE LAPTOP!".
I'm discussing the Airpods Max, not laptops. Where do you see the logo on the Airpods Max?

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,706 of 5,629
If you're not overly picky, then the Airpods Max is basically a $550 end-game headphone.

If you’re not overly picky a £5 pair of headphones from Tesco can be end-game headphones.

AirPods Max are only endgame if you are interested in convenience more than sound quality. And I say that as someone who loves his APMs for convenient use. But if I had to choose, and I mean really choose between wireless and quality, I’d wave goodbye to Bluetooth in a heartbeat. :wave:

But it is great we don’t have to choose and can have endgame headphones in lots of different categories. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #2,707 of 5,629
If you’re not overly picky a £5 pair of headphones from Tesco can be end-game headphones.

AirPods Max are only endgame if you are interested in convenience more than sound quality. And I say that as someone who loves his APMs for convenient use. But if I had to choose, and I mean really choose between wireless and quality, I’d wave goodbye to Bluetooth in a heartbeat. :wave:

But it is great we don’t have to choose and can have endgame headphones in lots of different categories. :beyersmile:

I use gear to listen to music. I don't use music to listen to gear.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #2,710 of 5,629
I use gear to listen to music. I don't use music to listen to gear.

Great quote. Certainly the category I fit in. I think for many people convenience does play a role in the devices you choose, at all levels. It’s certainly a big reason I didn’t buy over ear headphones until the APM. I don’t begrudge people who, as you put it, use music to listen to gear. I’ve certainly fallen into that category myself in other hobbies.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #2,711 of 5,629
Ok I’m starting to get worried. I’m sitting here in the office, a comfortable 23 Celsius thereabouts with the AC on, listening to music and after 2hours or so I found my music starting to get really muffled and the ANC feels like it’s going nuts. I took off the APM, removed the earcups, no condensation! But what’s that around the centre of the drivers below the protective mesh? Freaking liquid! It’s around the circumference of the drivers as well.

It did dry up really quickly like in 5mins after I took them off.. but.. man.. is this even normal on other headphones? What will the long term effects be? Will Apple be making me pay for any damages from normal usage? I’m just sitting at my desk... 😑

48AF150A-0FBB-484D-AB5B-E220E4980574.jpeg

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #2,712 of 5,629
Ok I’m starting to get worried. I’m sitting here in the office, a comfortable 23 Celsius thereabouts with the AC on, listening to music and after 2hours or so I found my music starting to get really muffled and the ANC feels like it’s going nuts. I took off the APM, removed the earcups, no condensation! But what’s that around the centre of the drivers below the protective mesh? Freaking liquid! It’s around the circumference of the drivers as well.

It did dry up really quickly like in 5mins after I took them off.. but.. man.. is this even normal on other headphones? What will the long term effects be? Will Apple be making me pay for any damages from normal usage? I’m just sitting at my desk... 😑

This is what happened to me within 24 hours of receiving them. In order to have the same happen again I’ve had to bring them out into the freezing cold (23 F).

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #2,713 of 5,629

Water droplets on the drivers above the voice coil and around the surround also appeared on mine after wearing them for a while. It's easily reproducible, systematic, and they never left the house (22°C, 40-50% humidity).
I didn't notice a significant change in ANC performance though. In terms of sound I'm not sure.
On the plus side it means that they're sealing pretty well.
While I've seen some form of droplet deposits on other headphones in the past, I never noticed it on the driver itself. I'd welcome a communiqué from Apple on the matter.
I'd also welcome FR curve measurements when the driver is dry vs. when it's wet.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,714 of 5,629

It’s just another problematic first version product from Apple, like the APP which they finally recalled one year later. No, it doesn’t happen to other headphones. Most probably the use of fabric on the earcups is a wrong decision after all since they absorb much easier than leather. Also being completely open with the magnetic cups stuck on metal most probably adds to the way water appears on the drivers. I think other headphones with leather cups seem to be more sealed in a way. Not sure though. Apple will certainly eventually fix the issue after thorough investigation. They did the same with the APP and now the new replacement ones are working fine.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,715 of 5,629
Water droplets on the drivers above the voice coil and around the surround also appeared on mine after wearing them for a while. It's easily reproducible, systematic, and they never left the house (22°C, 40-50% humidity).
I didn't notice a significant change in ANC performance though. In terms of sound I'm not sure.
On the plus side it means that they're sealing pretty well.
While I've seen some form of droplet deposits on other headphones in the past, I never noticed it on the driver itself. I'd welcome a communiqué from Apple on the matter.
I'd also welcome FR curve measurements when the driver is dry vs. when it's wet.

I had sound issues when water was on my drivers. It's specific to the ANC/transparency mode where the headphones tries to cancel out noise internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back