AirPods Max
Dec 28, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,801 of 5,629
Has anyone else tried the wired option with the APMs? Similar outcome?
Yes, and no...

with my Walkman - exactly the same as you, but out of my Android phone (Galaxy S10+) the volume is fine - it makes me question the impedance of the cable, and what it does to some devices...

does anyone with these have a quad DAC LG phone to see if it triggers the hifi mode?

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,802 of 5,629
I’ve tried the 3.5 mm-to-Lightning cable today to connect the APMs to my 2013 MBP and the sound level was much lower than via Bluetooth. Basically, raising up the volume to 100% when wired produced a sound similar to that when the volume is at 50% on Bluetooth (which is already low). So one could not use the wired option with the MBP.

Do you have the source volume raised? As in, do you have the MacBook Pro volume raised, and then adjust the volume on the AirPods? In my case, I can get the volume of the headphones much higher when wired, as opposed to wireless.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #1,803 of 5,629
Let me do that tonight. Though the Mobius is a very neutral sounding headphone, so very different from the APM. Also I do disagree with tkddans‘s comments that the Panda are worse than the APM as I found the opposite to be true (Panda a refined and improved APM sound signature) overall.

Oh I also want to add some commentary for Panda after doing some more back and forth.

Compliments for Panda
Super comfortable sound signature. The tuning is so easy going, you never feel fatigue from listening. This is especially true on electronic. I almost can't listen to the APM comfortably on tracks where Panda makes it super easy. While I do appreciate the APM's clarity, the Panda makes things like these more enjoyable on sibilant-prone music than APM overall...

It really makes APM struggle to compete on higher listening volumes. Which is a shame. Though it has little to no distortion you can hear, the APM still doesn't have the ease of listening to them as Panda. It almost makes me want to keep the Panda! But I'll always know the APM have more clarity :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,804 of 5,629
Yes, of course. Same identical conditions for both Bluetooth and wired APMs. I even checked the volume in the MIDI app. There are three placeds where I checked: (i) the Music app, set to maximum; (ii) the MIDI app; and (iii) the MBP volume.

When you say “...I can get the volume of the headphones much higher when wired, as opposed to wireless”, are you using the same configuration as me, viz. MBP with 3.5 mm output jack, 3.5 mm-to-Lightning cable and APMs?

Do you have the source volume raised? As in, do you have the MacBook Pro volume raised, and then adjust the volume on the AirPods? In my case, I can get the volume of the headphones much higher when wired, as opposed to wireless.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,805 of 5,629
Yes, of course. Same identical conditions for both Bluetooth and wired APMs. I even checked the volume in the MIDI app. There are three placeds where I checked: (i) the Music app, set to maximum; (ii) the MIDI app; and (iii) the MBP volume.

When you say “...I can get the volume of the headphones much higher when wired, as opposed to wireless”, are you using the same configuration as me, viz. MBP with 3.5 mm output jack, 3.5 mm-to-Lightning cable and APMs?

Yes, same connection. Very strange.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,806 of 5,629
Good to see someone with a different take!

I found the bass to be more controlled, tighter, on the APM. And more clarity on the APM.

The Panda does have punchier areas in the response in places, relative to the rest of the frequencies. The Pandas did have percussion that sounded to pop more than the APM. But I did prefer the vocals on the APM as well as the sub-bass presence. Pros and cons in a way?

What did you think of the Panda's?

I did this comparison already... to sum up, to my ears, the Pandas were essentially a more refined version of the APM in the midrange (more energy and clarity) and treble (better separation, no smearing) while the bass had a tad more body to it but also had something the APM misses completely, texturing.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #1,807 of 5,629
I’ve tried the 3.5 mm-to-Lightning cable today to connect the APMs to my 2013 MBP and the sound level was much lower than via Bluetooth. Basically, raising up the volume to 100% when wired produced a sound similar to that when the volume is at 50% on Bluetooth (which is already low). So one could not use the wired option with the MBP.

Raise the volume on the APM by turning the volume knob? You have to use the internal DAC/amp when you're wired I think still.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #1,808 of 5,629
Does anyone have the Audeze Mobius to compare?

Did a short comparison. To be honest, they are strikingly different sound signatures unlike the Panda and APM which aim for similar presentations when it comes to presentation.

AirPods Max vs Audeze Mobius BT

Sound

The AirPods Max (APM) and Audeze Mobius (AM) offer a mix of similar features (3D head tracking) but still have their focuses in other areas. The Mobius set up as a gaming headset that can still be used for music while the AirPods Max are a premium consumer ANC offering. The Mobius offers a sound signature that is very close to a DF neutral (for over ear headphones), but has some small adjustability with its various presets. For this, I’ll be using the Music preset which gives it a slight bump in bass.

The bass of both are presented in a very different way. The APM offer a bass that is very impactful and thick in comparison to how the Mobius flavors the music. The texturing on offered by the AM is light, but very good, especially in contrast to the near none that the APM offers. Bass presence, from the deep lows through the midbass is not an issue overall, though the APM has more presence with things like kick drums.

The major midrange differences between the two mainly come in the form of the upper midrange where the AM is far more present and offers much of the energy that is missing in the APM. The APM is more laid back and musical with quite a bit of warmth to the midrange. This is reminiscent to a classic style of signature of certain Audeze planars. The AM, however, don’t follow this classicness as they are offer bigger focus on clarity and details while still not forgetting about the lower mids. Overall, I’d actually describe the AM’s midrange as somewhat clinical; the same can be said about the treble too.

The AM is brighter than the APM overall, however, the APM still sound a little more peaky in comparison. One of the issues with the APM is that the treble has a tendency to smear things and ends up creating a lack of details. The Audeze does a far better job with the upper range offering better clarity, separation, and detailing in the treble. Both presentations of treble offer lots of splash and sparkle and loads of energy.

While the treble presentation of both headphones is very similar, the Mobius tends to offer slight refinement leading to clearer more detailed uppers. The midrange and bass presentations of both headphones are kind of on opposite ends. The Mobius being extremely linear offering some of everything while the APM kind of has a focus on sub-bass but misses on out detailing. The midrange is also kind of direct opposites as well. The APM has a warm tilt on the midrange having a smaller focus on the upper midrange and the AM having a strong focus on that area in contrast.

Overall, I’d describe the Mobius as more of a clinical headphone (something like an Etymotic in the IEM world) while the AirPods are more laid back and musical in nature.

Other Note

One thing that is typically glanced over with the APM is the UI associated with it. You put them on, press play and you’re going. The only thing that would improve this is if they were to do something like B&W PX where they press play for you after you put them on.

With the Mobius, if I want to listen to music I have to follow the following steps: 1) put the on, 2) power them on, 3) Press and hold the 3D audio button, 4) Select the appropriate EQ -> Default -> Ballistics -> Footsteps -> Music -> Press play [0 seconds]. It would be nice if I could have the headphones remember these settings…

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #1,809 of 5,629
Did a short comparison. To be honest, they are strikingly different sound signatures unlike the Panda and APM which aim for similar presentations when it comes to presentation.

AirPods Max vs Audeze Mobius BT

Sound

The AirPods Max (APM) and Audeze Mobius (AM) offer a mix of similar features (3D head tracking) but still have their focuses in other areas. The Mobius set up as a gaming headset that can still be used for music while the AirPods Max are a premium consumer ANC offering. The Mobius offers a sound signature that is very close to a DF neutral (for over ear headphones), but has some small adjustability with its various presets. For this, I’ll be using the Music preset which gives it a slight bump in bass.

The bass of both are presented in a very different way. The APM offer a bass that is very impactful and thick in comparison to how the Mobius flavors the music. The texturing on offered by the AM is light, but very good, especially in contrast to the near none that the APM offers. Bass presence, from the deep lows through the midbass is not an issue overall, though the APM has more presence with things like kick drums.

The major midrange differences between the two mainly come in the form of the upper midrange where the AM is far more present and offers much of the energy that is missing in the APM. The APM is more laid back and musical with quite a bit of warmth to the midrange. This is reminiscent to a classic style of signature of certain Audeze planars. The AM, however, don’t follow this classicness as they are offer bigger focus on clarity and details while still not forgetting about the lower mids. Overall, I’d actually describe the AM’s midrange as somewhat clinical; the same can be said about the treble too.

The AM is brighter than the APM overall, however, the APM still sound a little more peaky in comparison. One of the issues with the APM is that the treble has a tendency to smear things and ends up creating a lack of details. The Audeze does a far better job with the upper range offering better clarity, separation, and detailing in the treble. Both presentations of treble offer lots of splash and sparkle and loads of energy.

While the treble presentation of both headphones is very similar, the Mobius tends to offer slight refinement leading to clearer more detailed uppers. The midrange and bass presentations of both headphones are kind of on opposite ends. The Mobius being extremely linear offering some of everything while the APM kind of has a focus on sub-bass but misses on out detailing. The midrange is also kind of direct opposites as well. The APM has a warm tilt on the midrange having a smaller focus on the upper midrange and the AM having a strong focus on that area in contrast.

Overall, I’d describe the Mobius as more of a clinical headphone (something like an Etymotic in the IEM world) while the AirPods are more laid back and musical in nature.

Other Note

One thing that is typically glanced over with the APM is the UI associated with it. You put them on, press play and you’re going. The only thing that would improve this is if they were to do something like B&W PX where they press play for you after you put them on.

With the Mobius, if I want to listen to music I have to follow the following steps: 1) put the on, 2) power them on, 3) Press and hold the 3D audio button, 4) Select the appropriate EQ -> Default -> Ballistics -> Footsteps -> Music -> Press play [0 seconds]. It would be nice if I could have the headphones remember these settings…

I believe Audeze released a firmware update that remembers the previously-used settings on Mobius; however, installing it requires the Windows version of the Audeze HQ app.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #1,810 of 5,629
I believe Audeze released a firmware update that remembers the previously-used settings on Mobius; however, installing it requires the Windows version of the Audeze HQ app.

Oof... I need to dig up a Windows machine then :/ I'm running an M1 Mac right now :frowning2: I'll look into it though, thanks!

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #1,811 of 5,629
I did this comparison already... to sum up, to my ears, the Pandas were essentially a more refined version of the APM in the midrange (more energy and clarity) and treble (better separation, no smearing) while the bass had a tad more body to it but also had something the APM misses completely, texturing.

Apologies! I can be forgetful as the thread gets bigger all the time. My bad for not remembering!

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,812 of 5,629
Oof... I need to dig up a Windows machine then :/ I'm running an M1 Mac right now :frowning2: I'll look into it though, thanks!
You are awesome for doing this for me! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I’ve been trying to decide between APM, Mobius and Panda. I’ve also heard the Mobius has a warm setting. I’m not sure how that compares as well.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #1,813 of 5,629
You are awesome for doing this for me! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I’ve been trying to decide between APM, Mobius and Panda. I’ve also heard the Mobius has a warm setting. I’m not sure how that compares as well.

I wouldn't call it "warm", but the music setting does bump up the bass a little, it's not much, but is noticeable. Most of the EQ changes that the Mobius offer are very minute offering slight tweaks here and there, typically nothing more than a 3-5 dB. That said, I tend to find warmth coming from either a low-mid focus or a upper-mid defocus. The Mobius has none of that so I really wouldn't call it a warm headphone. If you're looking for warmth the Panda and AirPods Max would be a better direction to go.

Apologies! I can be forgetful as the thread gets bigger all the time. My bad for not remembering!

No worries.

Dec 29, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,815 of 5,629
I wouldn't call it "warm", but the music setting does bump up the bass a little, it's not much, but is noticeable. Most of the EQ changes that the Mobius offer are very minute offering slight tweaks here and there, typically nothing more than a 3-5 dB. That said, I tend to find warmth coming from either a low-mid focus or a upper-mid defocus. The Mobius has none of that so I really wouldn't call it a warm headphone. If you're looking for warmth the Panda and AirPods Max would be a better direction to go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back