AirPods Max
Dec 25, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #1,592 of 5,629
I assume you can use different Audiogram profiles for the APP’s and APM’s?
I haven’t tested, but when setting up you can use different audiograms from a list. I guess it resets the ‘audiogram’ custom setting.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,594 of 5,629
If you use the same calibration for the APP, they become a bright mess.
Yea, I can imagine that would be an issue. Since I only have the APM, it works well for me since it compensates for both my hearing as well as the APM's theoretical weaknesses. My graph is fairly flat but rolls off after 2khz and falls well down (50 dBHL) at 8khz.

Dec 25, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #1,595 of 5,629
Yea, I can imagine that would be an issue. Since I only have the APM, it works well for me since it compensates for both my hearing as well as the APM's theoretical weaknesses. My graph is fairly flat but rolls off after 2khz and falls well down (50 dBHL) at 8khz.
My ideal sound signature, stock, and the custom setting are all pretty close of each other in my personal case, I can even get used to the stock signature by just letting my brain get used to them, so now I’m debating what to do right now...

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #1,596 of 5,629
I just watched a Z review video. He said this of the Drop Panda:
Z Reviews says “I’m ***** amazed. [...] In the $0 to $1500 range, these are one of the best closed back headphones. [...] one of the best sounding.”

Did he get lambasted for the comparison and hyperbole? No.

I’m starting to think anti-Apple sentiment is a stronger bias than people want to admit.

EDIT:: If you missed it, I’ve stated I prefer the sound of APM over Panda and compared the APM to hifi.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #1,597 of 5,629
The Mimi app appears to be confused!

FCB64DF0-7134-455B-8F44-2FA6C85B0E84.png
1F345E0A-B810-4DD1-84B9-59436321E7A5.png
875AE8C1-88FE-490D-B891-6042475BAE8A.png

How can I have no hearing loss but it reports badly?

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,599 of 5,629
To whoever has their APM and do not feel satisfied with the sound, if you have an iOS or iPadOS device, go to Accessibility-Audio/Visual-Headphone Accommodation. Please turn on this option and you will have two options: you can use the stock presets to fix anything you want depending on what you don’t really like or you can do the custom settings route (highly recommended), pay attention to the short music sections and be honest with yourself so you can answer with whichever you like the most. After that, it will give you a custom setting that it’s not quite the presets. It completely changed my opinion of these headphones, they because from bassy and distant to more present and technically capable just by doing that. Holly Molly, what a change this single setting had made to my opinion of these headphones. Seriously, give it a try. (In the pic mine seems to be in a preset even though I set it up to custom, but the selected preset and my custom sound different).
I think the setting is default to balanced. It was already set to balanced when I checked.

I run it off of LG V50 and Tidal sounds better through USB Audio Player Pro than the Tidal App on iOS. USB Audio Player Pro has a special BT setting so that audio arrives cleaner on the headphone.

Under Android I see that BT is running 16/44 AAC, and USB Audio Player bypasses Android OS.

Tidal on iOS has slight weirdness in the mids I don't particularly like. Certain range is too recessed in the upper-mids.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,600 of 5,629
Z Reviews says “I’m ***** amazed. [...] In the $0 to $1500 range, these are one of the best closed back headphones. [...] one of the best sounding.”

I’m starting to think anti-Apple sentiment is a stronger bias than people want to admit.

EDIT:: If you missed it, I’ve stated I prefer the sound of APM over Panda and compared the APM to hifi.
People still listen to this guy rambling and take it seriously? I agree that he can be mildly amusing, but his opinions should be taken with a bucket of salt...

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,601 of 5,629

Of course not. It's a headphone from a more "audiophile" company. Though most won't admit it, many audiophiles are just as bias as they claim mainstream focused fans/reviews are. When you can come out and say that there's no way a Wireless ANC headphone that you haven't even listened to is anywhere close to your $1000+ rig, you're bias as well whether it's true or not. To be honest, we all have some form of bias when it comes to sound based on the type of music we listen to and the way we like to hear it. I may like my headphones to have a sub bass boost or a more U shaped tuning. That may not align to a person who likes a more flat, resolving sound. Does that make one preference better than the other? No. It just means that bass may give me more emotion when I'm listening to music, while the person who prefers a flatter, more resolving sound may get emotion from being able to hear the violin player on the second row sneeze during the recording. I stand by my thoughts that the AirPods Max are the best Wireless ANC headphones I've heard according to what I like. And I can say with confidence that they compete quite nicely with other $500 or so wired headphones I've owned and I don't care whether others agree or not because it's what my ears tell ME. No Apple fanboy, just my ears enjoying their headphone. And believe me, I bought them with every intention of returning them. I did not want to like them.

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,602 of 5,629
To be honest, we all have some form of bias when it comes to sound based on the type of music we listen to and the way we like to hear it.
With contemporary music, they sound great with the stock tuning. Flat cans (including the ones that are flat down to the sub-bass regions) are boring for contemporary music. They have a nice and clean bass, the voices are we here they should be, and the treble isn’t annoying to say the least. Now, using other types of music they seem to not sound completely right. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are a major driver of profit in the over-eat headphone market, they have both the brand recognition and the profit margin to do it better than any of the regular audiophile brands or the regular mainstream ones.

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,603 of 5,629
Here is a new video in youtube where the person is comparing the APM with the sony xm4, bose 700, b&o h9 and the h95. The reviewer is doing excellent job showing the differences in sound so the people can actually hearing this headphones and having better idea of the differences in sound. The comparison with h95 is beginning at 33:35.

Is still obviously different and better when you, like me, having the 2 headphones at the same time for comparing the sound, but this video is probably giving the best option if you having only one of this headphones or not even one. I can hearing more big and clear differences when I doing this comparison between the APM and H95 and I'm using more different music too. Is important realising too that the sound you will hearing in the video will having effect depending on which headphones / earphones you're using for hearing all the audio samples. In a perfect world you must listening with a more neutral headphone / earphone.

What's with the recessed mid-range on wireless headphones seriously, is this purely down to tuning or the drivers? Is this what manufactures think we want? you can tell on this video that APM is definitely better the Sony and Bose, but that bar really isn't high that in my opinion, the APM still sounded recessed, I really don't buy into this Harmon target curve BS, it just kills the mids. Also how can the reviewer say that he could hardly hear the difference between the APM's and H95's, even over my headphones they sound dramatically different so surely in person the differences are even more apparent?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,604 of 5,629
People still listen to this guy rambling and take it seriously? I agree that he can be mildly amusing, but his opinions should be taken with a bucket of salt...

I’ve heard critique about him a couple times now. Is there a community impression of him I missed? Sorry I haven’t been on the forums for a long time before this thread started.

What does he do that bothers people?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,605 of 5,629
Also how can the reviewer say that he could hardly hear the difference between the APM's and H95'
Easy: audiophiles have better hearing that doesn't kick in until you are at this level. When I watched his video, I was rooting for him to say I've reached my ability to discriminate - I'll leave the final judgement of APM to H95 to others. I doubt this reviewer will hear subtleties of better headphones - which only exist for a few. Imagination, or ears? I think most of us lurkers will never know. Good enough is good enough for most of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back