AirPods Max
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #526 of 5,629
Wow, I have never seen that much people watching a thread in a very long time.
The hype is really strong LOL

1608150415543.png

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #527 of 5,629

1608150415543.png

haha, the pull of Apple! You cannot fail but to be curious about these headphones - no doubt price is part of that!

I have the Aonic 50s - not seeing anything yet with the APM reviews to give me enough FOMO to pay double and try these!

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #528 of 5,629

1608150415543.png

Yes, the hype is really strong in this one... Lets see how long this remains FOTM.
I decided against picking up my unit today, maybe Friday or next week. Still partial on that design, but I have to try it out for myself. If comfort is ok, I'll keep it simply for the switching between devices. I don't think I'd ever take them out... even if they look better in person than on the photos.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #531 of 5,629
Just got back from the Apple Store.

EpY0q5jXYAsm_b6

Have just listened a few varied songs (Brockhampton, Fleetwood Mac, James Blake and Rosalía) and... wow, I'm impressed. Will be testing them against the XM3s and Sennheiser HD600 this weekend, but my first impressions are better than I was expecting.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #532 of 5,629
Balanced / Strong works really well as others have said...

The APM have a very bouncy kind of sound over BT (limited to SBC on my WM1A) - I need to obviously spend more time, however I find them to be enjoyable, as to whether more so than the Ananda BT, we shall watch that space.

please note that I’m not talking about technical accuracy when mentioning the much more costly product, just how much enjoyment I get out of them.

as an aside, I wish that the lightning to 3.5 cable was in the box, forgot to pick one up

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #533 of 5,629

I am no Apple fanboy, but they deserve their reputation, IMO. In general, they make (really) great tech products. Not everything they touch turns to gold, but more often than not, the stuff that rolls off the highly-lauded assembly line are top-notch in both performance and build. With a war chest that is the envy of every other company on Earth, and an overflow of in-house technical wizardry, they are certainly well-placed to produce a great-sounding wireless headphone, if not, the best, in this particular segment.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #535 of 5,629
How exactly is this working since there is no passive mode? Double amped? Seems like the fact that you can't bypass the internal amp and dac would interfere with sq. on a desktop setup.
Yeah, it would be analog in the cable converted to digital for lightning and converted back to analog to for the drivers.

Unless I'm grossly misunderstanding something.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #536 of 5,629
I won't loose too much sleep over it :smirk:

Especially when he’s listening to them with an android device, I don’t think the sound would be as good as iOS 14.3.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #538 of 5,629
Anybody buying these who's got affordable planar closed backs like the old Oppo pm-3? If it's within the same basic realm of sound quality, I'd definitely consider these for the tech functions (ANC & spacial audio). They'd have to replace the role my Oppo's have taken on as my travel/closed back headphone though. Would love to hear that take (ideally from someone testing using Apple devices as a source).

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #539 of 5,629
Is it possible to run digital out from a DAP or phone, via appropriate Lightning or USB to Lightning cable? ADC by cable to DAC in headphone just seems silly.
True. Does the headhone work passively, without any power applied to the headphone, and analog cable connected from a sound source? Wait, you'd have to shut it off first..? Does it even stay shut off without the case? lol

If it's taking in analog via the cable, hopefully, it's not doing A/D and then D/A to the drivers. It would be better if internal DAC is bypassed and the signal is fed directly to the amp. which I have doubts about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back