AirPods Max
Dec 16, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #511 of 5,629
Indeed, but I find the sound profile much better with it set to balanced + slight or medium compared to the default profile. No doubt about it in my mind. Separation and clarity is much better with them set to balanced compared to having them on default. Disabling the tuning and I find vocals to get overshadowed, way more so than I would prefer.

In its default state I'm not sure if I would have kept mine.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #512 of 5,629
Indeed, but I find the sound profile much better with it set to balanced + slight or medium compared to the default profile. No doubt about it in my mind. Separation and clarity is much better with them set to balanced compared to having them on default. Disabling the tuning and I find vocals to get overshadowed, way more so than I would prefer.

I agree. I lean much more to keeping them with that setting change.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #513 of 5,629
It's been an expensive day for me today, got the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the APM...

Sounding good through my Apple TV, and looking forward to setting up the audio as described a few posts back...

I'm happy.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #515 of 5,629
Seeing alot of 'not keeping mine' in this thread...

Not what I am seeing so far it's more like a balanced outcome. Which doesn't mean anything really.
Try it yourself and trust your ears :)

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #516 of 5,629
Did you try a factory reset? I had a similar issue (transparency mode on the right side stopped working) and a factory reset fixed it.
Rebooted everything I connected them to but missed how to do a reset on the headphones themselves. Obvious in hindsight. Suddenly I miss the concept of an on/off switch. Apple support was only interested in what I was running them with. Zero troubleshooting or suggestions from their end. Much time trying to secure a replacement. Just into day two on a new item so maybe some slack for them? I will get the next three to four months to reflect on this if I place a new order. Should have turned to the community first but I usually frown on those who don't try to exercise their warranty options first. If I get another set and run into trouble I think you nailed the solution. Appreciate your post.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #517 of 5,629

Actually, after going through the settings again, back and forth, putting the headphones away and trying again...

I think I like the default more. Easier to listen to. Then, putting them on balanced and slight.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #518 of 5,629
I'm mixed. I feel the default profile starts to loosen up and shine at around 45-50% volume. At lower volumes I find balanced + slight or even moderate to sound better. When going past 60% volume I start to feel like I prefer the default over the balanced + slight/moderate due to the sibilance show more at higher volume levels.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #519 of 5,629
I'm going back and forth between wired and wireless and I'm having a hard time telling any difference. Source: Tidal Hifi. MQA version of Lush Life by Coltrane played through Roon -> Modius -> Asgard 3.

4XCf3Ot.png

How exactly is this working since there is no passive mode? Double amped? Seems like the fact that you can't bypass the internal amp and dac would interfere with sq. on a desktop setup.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #520 of 5,629
AirPods-Max-1536x696.jpg

Some measurements here of the AirPods Max.

A precision from Oratory1990 regarding measuring Apple's devices with adaptive EQ, ie AirPods Pro (and presumably AirPods Max) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory199...tory1990_eq_thread_questions_requests/ge0odjp

In other words measuring the APP and APM may require some extra care to make sure that you're getting close to what they truly output.

On Apple's newsroom page there may be an indication of the procedure to follow to ensure that the FR curve measured is representative, if this procedure is the same as the one they used for measuring distortion :

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 21.05.08.png

Quite curious to see Rtings' and Oratory1990's measurements as well to see where the measurements are consistent across test rigs / methodologies and where they diverge.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #521 of 5,629
differences in sound could be from different classes of Bluetooth. I’ll try tomorrow w/ my 11pro and 6s.

Well, the APM is designed to work with the iPad and iPhone apparently. Not even on my Apple 4K TV, MacBook Pro and iMac Pro is the APM fully supported. The APM also sounds different on an iOS device for some strange reason.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #525 of 5,629
That is indeed an expensive day.

Yes indeed. I honestly don’t see much improvement of the 12th-gen over the 11-th gen, So I am sticking with my iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back