AirPods Max
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #451 of 5,629
I don’t think you’re wrong at all, but I get awful buyers remorse, and I still think these blow the PX7 out the water (maybe not free PX7s ha)
The PX7 and the H95s have been the only two wireless headphones I've considered buying before the APMs. Didn't like the lack of leather/metal on the PX7s and couldn't stomach the cost of the H95s without waiting to see what Apple had in store.

Really glad to hear you think these blow the PX7s out of the water.

I'm planning to replace my B&O H6 + AudioQuest Black with APM's which should arrive tomorrow. If they don't blow the H6's out of the water, I'll be taking them back.

Has anyone tested out higher resolution audio from Tidal/Qobuz etc either via wireless or via the 3.5mm to lightning connection? I know the AAC bluetooth codec maxes out at 320kbps but I'm curious to hear if anyone is hearing a perceivable difference in sound quality, especially hardwired.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #452 of 5,629
The PX7 and the H95s have been the only two wireless headphones I've considered buying before the APMs. Didn't like the lack of leather/metal on the PX7s and couldn't stomach the cost of the H95s without waiting to see what Apple had in store.

Really glad to hear you think these blow the PX7s out of the water.

I'm planning to replace my B&O H6 + AudioQuest Black with APM's which should arrive tomorrow. If they don't blow the H6's out of the water, I'll be taking them back.
Ah nice yeah, don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #454 of 5,629
I went for a 2 hour walk outside using the headphones yesterday and they didn't really feel any different compared to using my Bose NC 700. They actually feel better as the earpads are much more breathable when compared to the leather on my Bose NC 700.

The nc700 is have artificial leather earpads (plastic, basically), like the majority of (anc) wireless headphones. And this is always a problem for me because my ears getting hot or sweating very easily. Only the b&o h8, h9 and h95, momentum 3 and m&d mw65 having genuine leather and I personally never having a problem with this headphones. The same with my 4 years old p7 wireless that having real leather too and the earpads are looking like the first day.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #455 of 5,629
Ok I am quite curious about the APM's. My early digging I get generally that they sound good. Some peoples comments suggest they have a really large sound stage, the way some dudes are talking about it as if they sound as wide as the hd800 lol. So far the reviews on youtube are just the general promotional reviews and very little critical or comparison reviews. I just noticed booredatwork did a review an hour ago on youtube with the APM, xm4 and also compared with the hifiman deva. Interesting that he scored the xm4 better in general to the APM's and that the APMs soundstage was smaller than the xm4s..hmmmm.

I'm thinking that APM artificially creates sound stage width by employing something like DTS:x 3d surround, rather than the physical capabilities of the headphones as seen in the hd800 or perhaps hifiman arya. By the way Im not sure what you guys are using for phones and music players, if you have the functionality of something like DTS X 3d or whatever, try it out.

So far very curious as to how this will pan out. It will be interesting how many of the APMs will be returned.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #456 of 5,629
Has anyone tested out higher resolution audio from Tidal/Qobuz etc either via wireless or via the 3.5mm to lightning connection? I know the AAC bluetooth codec maxes out at 320kbps but I'm curious to hear if anyone is hearing a perceivable difference in sound quality, especially hardwired.
I've tested with Tidal on both Mac & iOS, maybe a tad better but could be placebo effect. Statistically, my Mac's bluetooth bitrate rate was reporting at a consistent 300+khz.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #458 of 5,629
Ok I am quite curious about the APM's. My early digging I get generally that they sound good. Some peoples comments suggest they have a really large sound stage, the way some dudes are talking about it as if they sound as wide as the hd800 lol. So far the reviews on youtube are just the general promotional reviews and very little critical or comparison reviews. I just noticed booredatwork did a review an hour ago on youtube with the APM, xm4 and also compared with the hifiman deva. Interesting that he scored the xm4 better in general to the APM's and that the APMs soundstage was smaller than the xm4s..hmmmm.

I'm thinking that APM artificially creates sound stage width by employing something like DTS:x 3d surround, rather than the physical capabilities of the headphones as seen in the hd800 or perhaps hifiman arya. By the way Im not sure what you guys are using for phones and music players, if you have the functionality of something like DTS X 3d or whatever, try it out.

So far very curious as to how this will pan out. It will be interesting how many of the APMs will be returned.

I have no clue who this booredatwork guy is but this sounds very strange to me. The Sony WH-1000XM4 isn't wide and spacious at all. Which is pretty much confirmed by in-depth reviews by the likes of rtings.com. So having him talk about the WH-1000XM4 as they don't feature v-shaped, narrow and dense sound profile makes me question everything else in the video.

People are free to criticise the AirPods Max as much as they want. But when one person claims the sound profile of a pair of headphones is being more or less the opposite of what most people judge them to be and what measurements points them to be I'm getting sceptical very quickly.

I'm using Sennheiser HD 800 + Hegel HD12 DAC and I love the HD 800. They might sound boring to some but they offer a great and wide soundstage which I love. Of course the AirPods Max is using some kind of software trickery to achieve it's sense of width and space, how would you otherwise get closed-back wireless ANC headphones feeling really wide and spacious? But from my experience Apple has done a great job here, it doesn't feel artificial and it feels almost as wide as my Sennheiser HD 800.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #459 of 5,629
So I received the AirPods Max and aside form the fact I had to put it in pairing mode to pair to the iPhone 12 Pro Max nothing to report.

I see the comments on the weight, I didn't even bother to check but they do weight a bit although the headband is comfortable and the pads are breathy the ears don't get warm. This being said the weight is well balanced and confort is good although a bit lighter would have been nicer.

First impressions out of the box, this is over BT (I'll try cable later) Apple managed to pull off a natural sounding headphone, the bottom end has excellent sub bass extension and presence and control is fairly good although nothing to rave about either there is a bit of blooming there. I think Apple went a bit too far in terms of sub presence to add some physicality. Of course drivers are not burnt in so I'll reserve the definitive impression for later. The mid bass slam is quite good but again I wished it was a bit tighter with better control and I hear some blooming as well. This will show on my usual test tracks but not necessarily on less bass heavy tracks so keep in mind you might not hear it at first. Again, drivers OOB so not burnt in. On the flipside the bass has suprisingly good textures, rich detail and percussions sound very good as well as double bass. Mid bass presence is not overdone although there is a bit of emphasis. There is a strong rythmic baseline providing good rythm although pace is not the fastest either at least out of the box.

I don't read the midrange as recessed contrary to some comments, but that might depend on which genres people have tested their APM with. To me Apple has aimed at an articulate, clear and neutral / natural midrange. If anything maybe a little too conservative in the lower mids I woud peg the mids as a bit thin. They probably wanted to avoid the APM to sound congested given the overall bass presence. Upper mids have nice bite to them and that was not expected it's quite a lively and fairly energetic midrange and Jazz works pretty well with the APM. Timbre is fairly accurate which is also a good surprise little to no added warmth. Intruments separation is pretty good. As others have reported, vocals are clear and forwardly positioned. APM seems free of sibilance and remains smooth despite good energy and power in female vocals, APM will convey a lot of emotion on great vocal performances here. Much better than my Sony WH1000. Given the lower mids tuning I mentioned earlier, male vocals lack a bit of power but there is plenty of detail and the APM conveys a lot of nuances.

On to the treble, there is very nice lower treble presence and energy and the APM is quite engaging while remaining smooth I just wished there was a bit more weight to the notes but that's what I prefer especially for piano. I am nitpicking. Upper treble is where I think the APM fall short extension is not bad but I miss some presence here, it's a bit lost in the mix and it would have taken the APM to another level. Again, OOB impressions drivers are not burnt in but still. I might be heavily biased owning quite a few TOTL CIEMs and I know my test tracks to the infinitesimal detail.

If you're not in critical listening mode, there is very little that will bother me (aside maybe for the bass bloom and it might go away with burn in.) we should all remember we're talking BT headphones here and the APM is the best I have heard so far. To me Apple nailed it aside from high pricing for the segment and all the talk about APM beating headphones wired to nice DAPs and amps is probably unreasonable expectations.

I still have to test out the spatial sound, I bought the APM for watching movies and tv shows or conference calls not mainly for music where I have plenty of things handy :)

I'll give a shot to the APM cabled and plug it to the Hiby R8, I might still have a shocker in store....

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #465 of 5,629
Thanks for quite a detailed review and thankyou for giving it audiophile-like criticalness and comparing it to audiophile standards. I get that the overall impression is fine and people are happy with the outcome but after reading that review I am thinking that the APM doesn't do that well with sound.

Summarising your review:

Bass: Good extension but blooming and lacking in control tightness and slam.
Mid: Lower mid thin, decent upper mid.
Treble: Lower treble smooth but lacking some weight, upper treble short on extension and presence.

Anyway curious to further reviews.

So I received the AirPods Max and aside form the fact I had to put it in pairing mode to pair to the iPhone 12 Pro Max nothing to report.

I see the comments on the weight, I didn't even bother to check but they do weight a bit although the headband is comfortable and the pads are breathy the ears don't get warm. This being said the weight is well balanced and confort is good although a bit lighter would have been nicer.

First impressions out of the box, this is over BT (I'll try cable later) Apple managed to pull off a natural sounding headphone, the bottom end has excellent sub bass extension and presence and control is fairly good although nothing to rave about either there is a bit of blooming there. I think Apple went a bit too far in terms of sub presence to add some physicality. Of course drivers are not burnt in so I'll reserve the definitive impression for later. The mid bass slam is quite good but again I wished it was a bit tighter with better control and I hear some blooming as well. This will show on my usual test tracks but not necessarily on less bass heavy tracks so keep in mind you might not hear it at first. Again, drivers OOB so not burnt in. On the flipside the bass has suprisingly good textures, rich detail and percussions sound very good as well as double bass. Mid bass presence is not overdone although there is a bit of emphasis. There is a strong rythmic baseline providing good rythm although pace is not the fastest either at least out of the box.

I don't read the midrange as recessed contrary to some comments, but that might depend on which genres people have tested their APM with. To me Apple has aimed at an articulate, clear and neutral / natural midrange. If anything maybe a little too conservative in the lower mids I woud peg the mids as a bit thin. They probably wanted to avoid the APM to sound congested given the overall bass presence. Upper mids have nice bite to them and that was not expected it's quite a lively and fairly energetic midrange and Jazz works pretty well with the APM. Timbre is fairly accurate which is also a good surprise little to no added warmth. Intruments separation is pretty good. As others have reported, vocals are clear and forwardly positioned. APM seems free of sibilance and remains smooth despite good energy and power in female vocals, APM will convey a lot of emotion on great vocal performances here. Much better than my Sony WH1000. Given the lower mids tuning I mentioned earlier, male vocals lack a bit of power but there is plenty of detail and the APM conveys a lot of nuances.

On to the treble, there is very nice lower treble presence and energy and the APM is quite engaging while remaining smooth I just wished there was a bit more weight to the notes but that's what I prefer especially for piano. I am nitpicking. Upper treble is where I think the APM fall short extension is not bad but I miss some presence here, it's a bit lost in the mix and it would have taken the APM to another level. Again, OOB impressions drivers are not burnt in but still. I might be heavily biased owning quite a few TOTL CIEMs and I know my test tracks to the infinitesimal detail.

If you're not in critical listening mode, there is very little that will bother me (aside maybe for the bass bloom and it might go away with burn in.) we should all remember we're talking BT headphones here and the APM is the best I have heard so far. To me Apple nailed it aside from high pricing for the segment and all the talk about APM beating headphones wired to nice DAPs and amps is probably unreasonable expectations.

I still have to test out the spatial sound, I bought the APM for watching movies and tv shows or conference calls not mainly for music where I have plenty of things handy :)

I'll give a shot to the APM cabled and plug it to the Hiby R8, I might still have a shocker in store....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back