AirPods Max
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #871 of 5,629
Right. And if you read up thread the immediate response was crinnacle is trash. Just like Bose and Sony.
I'm reading 'Crinacle is Trash just like Sony and Bose' lol

I think you meant Crinacle thinks it's trash. I'll eventually hear it for myself to see if there is any use case scenarios for a $550 wireless ANC headphone if I already have the XM3 that is sufficient to do it's duties on flights.

Now, I think APP is practical, but don't see the same level of practicality with APM at $550 if I have a home rig that just sounds better. I'll just bust out my XM3 for flights. APP for run and I can use on flights as well and fit in my small pocket and don't have the atrocious bra case to turn it off. Bad idea. With TWS it makes sense, but not with headphones that do not inside a charging case.

Will hear it for myself and we will see once the hype dies down. I think it's at a hype point since it's from Apple.

My XM3 fits easily in the case for stow away as well and light when I wear it. I don't need the weight and the aluminum. And I can power it off with a button provided.

Let's ask this, how does it compare to K371 in terms of SQ?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #872 of 5,629
It’s good for the industry and competition, isn’t it?
Absolutely. Let's hope this ushers in a new wave of better sounding BT headsets although there already are several excellent sounding examples on the market that offer a broader feature set that isn't locked to ios. I just the the broad proclamations are a bit much as is the routine trashing of competitors. Sony in particular has been making high end audiophile gear for years. They certainly know how to make a headphone and if sales are a reflection of anything, the XM series has been a massive success.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #873 of 5,629
I just ordered the Drop Panda for about $400, $420 off Amazon (better return policy and such).

I will be trying them out to compare against APM, since some say that APM are closer to their quality. I will report my findings. Estimated shipping date is Dec 24.

It seems like they may be the more appropriate comparison for sound quality of a wireless, closed back headphone.

(though I already have stated I like the APM well enough for them to be worth $1000, especially including the tech and portability)
I have a Panda and will be very interested in your impressions. The Panda is a bit warm for my liking so I have a feeling I would prefer the tuning to the APM.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #874 of 5,629
I'm reading 'Crinacle is Trash just like Sony and Bose' lol

I think you meant Crinacle thinks it's trash. I'll eventually hear it for myself to see if there is any use case scenarios for a $550 wireless ANC headphone if I already have the XM3 that is sufficient to do it's duties on flights.

Now, I think APP is practical, but don't see the same level of practicality with APM at $550 if I have a home rig that just sounds better. I'll just bust out my XM3 for flights. APP for run and I can use on flights as well and fit in my small pocket and don't have the atrocious bra case to turn it off. Bad idea. With TWS it makes sense, but not with headphones that do not inside a charging case.

Will hear it for myself and we will see once the hype dies down. I think it's at a hype point since it's from Apple.

I meant that people in this thread immediately responded that crinnacle was trash because he trashed the APM. I don't always agree with crinnacle (I love the MW07 by way of example) but he contributes a lot to this hobby.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #876 of 5,629
You most roll in a different income bracket than me.

Hah 😅
I don’t know, I return everything though I don’t like and I’ve only kept one or two headphones after trying a bunch.

In this community, people talk about hifi headphones costing $1000-3000, so I guess when I say these could be comparable to headphones around $1000...it’s more a way to tell others these enter a range of hifi enjoyment, or at least when you include the tech and portability it has that others don’t.

Maybe we are all a bit messed up to even think $1000+ is ok!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #877 of 5,629
Oh my gosh. Hah! Just as I thought of comparing
The Panda to the APM, this guy has just posted the following video:

Audio noob reviews AirPods Max vs the competition

EDIT: Darn. His audio commentary is lacking. But he is, as he says, a noob.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #878 of 5,629
I think there are a lot of people who’d buy APM at a higher price if the future versions are tuned better and sound anywhere close to an audiophile quality.

It *is* an audiophile tuning. Even Crinnacle had to give it an A- in that regard, and that was without the balanced accessibility setting which surely gets it very close to the Harman target.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #879 of 5,629
That is just your humble opinion! To me music is a lot that bass! Yes Sony has more bass, I agree. That’s nice to me. Plastic also is not bad at all. It’s durable and light! I would like to see you walking around the city with 400 gr metal on your head and then let’s comment again. Anc wireless headphones are not made for the sofa I believe. If I was about to buy something for the sofa I would rather buy cabled with much higher audio quality!
I'm not gonna walk around with APM. I have APP for that.
APM is coming for me for the sofa. :wink:

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #880 of 5,629
It *is* an audiophile tuning. Even Crinnacle gave had to give it an A- in that regard, and that was without the balanced accessibility setting which surely gets it very close to the Harman target.
To you, the bass bloating that he mentions, as well as the high mids’ recession is an audiophile tuning?? Who cares about the accessibility setting? We are talking about the original/untouched audio.

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #882 of 5,629
To you, the bass bloating that he mentions, as well as the high mids’ recession is an audiophile tuning?? Who cares about the accessibility setting? We are talking about the original/untouched audio.

In the sub-bass it's only about 2 dbs above Harman, yes, there is a recession in the upper mids, but it's clear Apple is trending toward that target. It gets much closer to that target than the vast majority of audiophile headphones. And he gave it an A- despite that observation.

As far as untouched audio, you are aware this curve is produced w/ the aid of DSP, right? There is nothing untouched about it, that's how this rolls. I'm certain it would get very close to the target if he remeasured using the tuning most people on head-fi who have these phones are using.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #883 of 5,629
In the sub-bass it's only about 2 dbs above Harman, yes, there is a recession in the upper mids, but it's clear Apple is trending toward that target. It gets much closer to that target than the vast majority of audiophile headphones. And he gave it an A- despite that observation.

As far as untouched audio, you are aware this curve is produced w/ the aid of DSP, right? There is nothing untouched about it, that's how this rolls. I'm certain it would get very close to the target if he remeasured using the tuning most people on head-fi who have these phones are using.
Sony xm4 also, if you apply the eq, which exists natively in Sony app, they become perfect, according to many audiophile reviews. So? Why the 550? By the way, 650 euros in Europe, unfortunately!!

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #884 of 5,629
Sorry but if you buy inferior bt sound for sitting on your sofa, what can I say?? Where is cable disturbing you in this scenario of yours? To move from the living room to the toilet? 😀
Cables are disturbing for me. And i like listen music in living room, and bedroom.
I had "highend" set, and one listening chair. That's was not my cup of tea.

I can enjoy music with Apples AAC 256, so for me it's waste of money to have wired "highend" set.

Matter of choices. :)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #885 of 5,629
Cables are a HUGE pain in the ass. Not so much the cables themselves, but every freakin company having different connectors.

Would like to have a alternative cable for my Audioquest, instead off that coperized waterhose Audioquest used ( a cable-voodoo company themselves). And not have to look for exotics on AliExpress and the likes.

The headphone industry COULD have agreed upon a standard. They missed that opportunity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back