AirPods Max
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #3,541 of 5,629
Hi guys, this has probably been asked here, but a quick search didn't bring up any results. Is switching to APM from a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 going to be a substantial upgrade? I only have Apple devices, so the seamless switching I'm already aware of since I have the smaller AirPod Pro. But is the difference in sound quality noticeable? I mostly listen to music using Apple Music.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,542 of 5,629
Hi guys, this has probably been asked here, but a quick search didn't bring up any results. Is switching to APM from a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 going to be a substantial upgrade? I only have Apple devices, so the seamless switching I'm already aware of since I have the smaller AirPod Pro. But is the difference in sound quality noticeable? I mostly listen to music using Apple Music.
Having previously had the XM4 for a short while I’d say it’ll be a significant upgrade. I don’t even consider the APM or the Sony to be in the same league.
And this is before you consider the build and materials.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #3,543 of 5,629
The XM3 offers a lot more customization with the EQ and when adjusted will sound better than the AirPods Max. I own both and feel the XM3 offers more bang for the bug and better instrument separation once you get the right EQ that suits your needs. You can also auto control the amount of ANC from the app and the 360 audio feature is actually fun in its own right. I think you're better sticking to the XM3 as it offers better noise canceling than the AirPods Max. You can't even use Apple's own EQ to adjust the sound on the AirPods Max, so it's very limited in it's musical range.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,545 of 5,629
And that's ok

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #3,546 of 5,629
The XM3 offers a lot more customization with the EQ and when adjusted will sound better than the AirPods Max. I own both and feel the XM3 offers more bang for the bug and better instrument separation once you get the right EQ that suits your needs. You can also auto control the amount of ANC from the app and the 360 audio feature is actually fun in its own right. I think you're better sticking to the XM3 as it offers better noise canceling than the AirPods Max. You can't even use Apple's own EQ to adjust the sound on the AirPods Max, so it's very limited in it's musical range.
Could't disagree more. APM way above the Sony's.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #3,548 of 5,629
For me it absolutely was. I really liked the XM3‘s stellar ANC but always struggled with equalization to get it to sound acceptable, which was a nontrivial amount of work on iOS (either by using the Sony app or a third party app with a proper parametric EQ). If you agree that the XM3 sounds pretty bad out of the box—with particularly muddy, overemphasized bass—and needs a lot of coaxing to sound better, you’ll very likely prefer the AirPods Max. If you don’t agree with that and have enjoyed how the XM3 sounds on its own, there’s probably not a big reason for you to switch.

So yeah, since this is the Max thread, so you’re going to get a lot of support for switching. I think a lot of that is warranted, though. When compared to the XM3, I have found the Max to be a step up (sometimes massively) in every way except probably weight. I super agree with what @obsidyen and @Maukey said earlier about its sound being club-like, spacious, and simultaneously detailed and engaging. That, combined with its top-tier noise cancelling and transparency modes leaves very little else to be desired. Just my two cents.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #3,550 of 5,629
I’d also add that any supposed lack of EQ on the APM can be more than countered by using something like the Mini app and applying the profile to Audio Accomodations

Not exactly IMO as you have no control on exactly what the parameters are. It's also not saved on the headphones and can't be used with all sources.

I also struggled to EQ the XM3 or XM4 (more so the former weirdly) to a point that I truly enjoyed listening to music with them with Sony's app. It reached a point where they sounded like "not garbage" to my ears, which already was a triumph over most other BT over-ears I've listened to in 2020/21. With PEQ it's easier but the default curve is so garbage to begin with that it's a royal PITA to do so, and even after quite a bit of "work" I was nowhere near something that warranted the efforts it seemed were going to be required vs simpler to EQ HPs.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #3,551 of 5,629
Not exactly IMO as you have no control on exactly what the parameters are. It's also not saved on the headphones and can't be used with all sources.

I also struggled to EQ the XM3 or XM4 (more so the former weirdly) to a point that I truly enjoyed listening to music with them with Sony's app. It reached a point where they sounded like "not garbage" to my ears, which already was a triumph over most other BT over-ears I've listened to in 2020/21. With PEQ it's easier but the default curve is so garbage to begin with that it's a royal PITA to do so, and even after quite a bit of "work" I was nowhere near something that warranted the efforts it seemed were going to be required vs simpler to EQ HPs.
EQ is Spielerei, as the Germans so nicely say. Good headphones, or any other part of a hifi system for that matter, shouldn't have to be 'pampered', as far as I'm concerned. For people with hearing defects that may be different. Or for people who claim to hear the difference between an already outrageously expensive cable and an even more outrageously expensive cable. But in that case, I'm afraid, nothing will ever be good enough. That is not to say the APM is flawless. It can't be. But it is still good enough for me to almost forget I also own a few lovely Grados.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #3,552 of 5,629
EQ is Spielerei, as the Germans so nicely say. Good headphones, or any other part of a hifi system for that matter, shouldn't have to be 'pampered', as far as I'm concerned.

Your AirPods Max are already constantly applying EQ in real time to ensure that they deliver a constant bass and lower mids response (probably up to 1khz or so) regardless of the quality of the seal they form around your ear (up to a point). ANC headphones with such a feedback mechanism are so far the closed back headphones that are the most consistent across a variety of listeners for FR below 1khz or so :
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#896/4007/1671

Future headphones will be able to do so, but throughout the entire frequency range to ensure that they deliver a constant FR curve that's tailored to your own anatomy regardless of their exact position over your ears.
EQ isn't a gimmick, it's actually absolutely mandatory for future headphones if you want them to be able to match your own own HRTF to a degree and deliver truly convincing surround sound simulations or for truly high fidelity sound reproduction.

The same applies for loudspeakers. As is already widely known there isn't such a thing as a pair of loudspeakers that you can plonk into any room and get a perfect FR curve at any point in the room. There is a reason Genelec or Neumann are starting to incorporate automated room correction at the listening position in their latest speaker systems or that Dirac or other room correction softwares have been used for years already.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #3,554 of 5,629
I have heard these but they are definitely not worth the price tag. If you must have ANC BT headphones, I'd go with a XM3 or XM4 instead.
I could counter with saying the XM3 or 4 aren't worth their price tag either. YMMV.

Really depends to the individual what they need. ANC only, perhaps the Sony or Bose. ANC and good sound quality beyond the trashy bass on the Sony, then perhaps APM. As to whether they are worth it, it all depends on your wallet. Be happy with what you can afford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back