AirPods Max
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,626 of 5,629
Keep in mind that adding BT, batteries, and electronic gizmos to the housings the drivers sit will also create additional damping effects too. It may not only be the software playing a role here. I’m not sure if HiFiMan did anything to deal with this or if the effects caused were enough to merit additional tuning of any sort.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #2,627 of 5,629
Keep in mind that adding BT, batteries, and electronic gizmos to the housings the drivers sit will also create additional damping effects too. It may not only be the software playing a role here. I’m not sure if HiFiMan did anything to deal with this or if the effects caused were enough to merit additional tuning of any sort.
Those shouldn’t affect clarity and resolution although I suppose they could affect soundstage. I don’t believe the BT version uses DSP but I am not sure about that. I tried to find an answer once I’m but wasn’t satisfied.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,628 of 5,629
Those shouldn’t affect clarity and resolution although I suppose they could affect soundstage. I don’t believe the BT version uses DSP but I am not sure about that. I tried to find an answer once I’m but wasn’t satisfied.

Anything added to the housings near the drivers will affect sound because they reflect and absorb sound. What they can and can’t affect depends on the acoustic properties of the stuff added. Software probably wasn’t the best word to use, but it was not in reference to DSP specifically, though just about every DAC will apply some sort of DSP.

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,629 of 5,629
I have to believe that hifimans Bluetooth implementation is top notch.

So far of the dozen or so BT HPs I've tried in 2020 alone, I can count on one hand amputated of a few fingers the HPs that didn't product audible artefacts when playing single tones above 10 000hz regardless of codecs or sources. And it wasn't correlated with price. Count me in the glass half empty camp then :D. Perhaps it is. Perhaps it isn't. All I'm saying is that A/Bing the Ananda BT vs. the regular version is unlikely to provide the control over variables other than BT implementation that would be ideal to isolate BT performance.

Clarity, resolution and soundstage are words that have so far no operational definition. But a difference in Fr curve alone would make this a moot point as all three are frequently used to describe differences that can be attributed to changes in FR curve.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #2,630 of 5,629
So far of the dozen or so BT HPs I've tried in 2020 alone, I can count on one hand amputated of a few fingers the HPs that didn't product audible artefacts when playing single tones above 10 000hz regardless of codecs or sources. And it wasn't correlated with price. Count me in the glass half empty camp then :D. Perhaps it is. Perhaps it isn't. All I'm saying is that A/Bing the Ananda BT vs. the regular version is unlikely to provide the control over variables other than BT implementation that would be ideal to isolate BT performance.

Clarity, resolution and soundstage are words that have so far no operational definition. But a difference in Fr curve alone would make this a moot point as all three are frequently used to describe differences that can be attributed to changes in FR curve.
I suppose they could be attributed to FR curve but they also could be attributed to limitations of Bluetooth.

I got it - you think Bluetooth is transparent to wired. I understand. I don’t agree.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,632 of 5,629
Does anyone have thoughts on APM performance in relation to the hi res/lossless benefits of Qobuz or Tidal?
Yes I do :) I can hear a definite difference with tidal hifi through the apm, the difference is almost entirely in the separation which I would imagine is a compression codec thing.
I understand it doesn’t make obvious sense seeing as the bitrate is capped. Maybe it’s to do with the resampling at the device system audio out. Apple Musics aac is not passed through to the best of my knowledge.
it’s not night and day but if I’m really listening to music then tidal is worth it even over Bluetooth.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,633 of 5,629
Yes I do :) I can hear a definite difference with tidal hifi through the apm, the difference is almost entirely in the separation which I would imagine is a compression codec thing.
I understand it doesn’t make obvious sense seeing as the bitrate is capped. Maybe it’s to do with the resampling at the device system audio out. Apple Musics aac is not passed through to the best of my knowledge.
it’s not night and day but if I’m really listening to music then tidal is worth it even over Bluetooth.

Ok! That’s good to know — I initially debated between Qobuz and Tidal, and lack of any discernible difference between Qobuz and Apple Music drove my initial post. Just like Q, I can try Tidal on a trial basis. I’ve read enough to know that consensus as to which sounds better is a constant debate, so maybe I’ll notice a difference (in a good way). 🤞

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #2,634 of 5,629
Surprisingly Beats Solo3 is still one of my favorite headphones of all-time, and I’ve heard a lot of wireless headphones. It surprises me every time I put them on, expecting the charm to wear off.

I wonder if I’d feel the same about AirPods Max, that’d be the real test for me since they’re considerably more expensive.

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #2,635 of 5,629
Surprisingly Beats Solo3 is still one of my favorite headphones of all-time
I'm moving up from the Beats Solo3 and as far as I can tell it's night and day. I can hear so much more of the music. Solo3 was fun before but now it's just flat and muddled. It does have much less stage and range, which could be something someone likes, but to me it's so dark, soft and really just doesn't compare at all.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #2,636 of 5,629
A little update.
I've tested A LOT and got an ok fit now.
I had to wear them lower as expected. Almost pulled out every mm of the telescoping arms. (not all the way, but well past half way)
Now I can hear why the ANC has been hailed as the best out there, and finally I get even bass response on L and R.
Anyways, my God how sensitive these cans are for placement and fitting, because of this adaptive EQ.
I still get changes in both sound (mostly bass) and ANC by fairly small movements, and especially everytime when turning my head.
Guess I have to sit pretty still, and look straight ahead if I will keep them...

With iPhone, do any of you use the "Tune audio" in the Accessibility-Airpods settings, or do you just use "Headphone Accommodation" set to off?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #2,637 of 5,629
I got the Max. Build is exceptional. Sound quality is good, but don’t expect levels of 58x, 6xx etc.

While wireless performance didn’t surprise me, i wired it to cobalt.Turned up volume wheel on Max to %100 and adjust volume from cobal to avoid clipping. Sound quality was audibly better. I don’t think it’s because of cobalt but my computers 3.5mm sound terrible so i wanted to test best i had.

Gave it to the friend who is an apple nerd and he still prefers Airpods Pro which i find also better for general use and tuning.

With max when few instruments sing together everything steps into each others toes and it was a mess. Whole thing just makes “tsss tsss tsss” and that overbearing sub bass...I’ll pass.

I also have LCD-X and find it more comfortable bc of less clamp force and leather pads. Max pads are itchy.

Here is a shot of this beauty that i can’t seem to love.

Attachments

• A871C3D7-C37E-4C68-9AF0-A66832DB9ABA.jpeg
    A871C3D7-C37E-4C68-9AF0-A66832DB9ABA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,638 of 5,629
think I am going to give apple a call today and start a return for mine. For my application - watching videos the sound is very nice with the some tweaking to the accommodations settings. what I cant get past is the weight. both on the top of my head and the squeeze from the cups. My Sony that does not sound as good, but is supper comfortable to wear for long periods.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,639 of 5,629
think I am going to give apple a call today and start a return for mine. For my application - watching videos the sound is very nice with the some tweaking to the accommodations settings. what I cant get past is the weight. both on the top of my head and the squeeze from the cups. My Sony that does not sound as good, but is supper comfortable to wear for long periods.

I had the opposite issue with the Sony, it was uncomfortable for the top of my head. Basically felt like you laid a bar out on the top of my head. With the APM you do have to move the headband to a comfortable spot. If you have an Apple Store nearby, it may be quicker to return that way.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,640 of 5,629

Buyer's remorse is not uncommon for higher priced consumer goods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back