AirPods Max
Dec 10, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #181 of 5,629
Based on MB's review I posted, only thing that could make or break this product is it's sound. I don't think the design was well thought out with this one. I dislike it being called Airpod, and I agree with all the points MB makes.

I realkly have no idea why MB has the HD820. He has the money to buy all kinds of stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #183 of 5,629
Of course MB is first to get it...

haha yeah. those metal cups touching each other when folded already makes me imagine scratch city after a week.

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #185 of 5,629
Not sure how the sound quality can beat the XM4s wirelessly without LDAC. Any mention of the quality of their wireless codec?
As long as their acoustics are real good, they can make sound better than LDAC with AAC. Apple AAC implementations are quite good. LDAC doesn't automatically mean SQ is better, but the more information is being sent to the headphone. 990kbps that is.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #186 of 5,629
I really don't like the premise of this product. If you want to get off the Apple ecosystem, I guess you'll have to toss these half a grand headphones away. The EQ can't even be customized like the Sonys(5 band plus bass). I'm only happy this product gets released, so that Sony can answer back fiercely. It would be amazing if a company could figure out how to put parameterized EQ onboard the headphones, that would legitimately be game changing

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #187 of 5,629
I really don't like the premise of this product. If you want to get off the Apple ecosystem, I guess you'll have to toss these half a grand headphones away. The EQ can't even be customized like the Sonys(5 band plus bass). I'm only happy this product gets released, so that Sony can answer back fiercely. It would be amazing if a company could figure out how to put parameterized EQ onboard the headphones, that would legitimately be game changing
To me, headphones with with memory to save PEQ onboard with a good acoustic FR starting point is an important feature that should be provided to the next level. XM3 does this with bass, but still not a precise EQ like PEQ.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #188 of 5,629
Curious to see how they compare to the B&O H95 ... (even more obscenely expensive cans that IMHO actually manage to put money where their earcups are) 😎

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #190 of 5,629
Thanks for sharing this; I'd never heard of Marques (yes I live under a rock) but now I've subbed to his YouTube channel. Great production in his reviews from what I can tell and seems he has access (Bill Gates, Satya Nadella, Elon Musk, etc.)
i think that maybe there is another embargo on sound quality. Non of the hands on talk a lot about sound quality.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #191 of 5,629
Well folks, these are pretty close to exactly what I'm looking for, but at a few $$$ more than I wanted to spend. Oh well, I will give them a shot a return them if I don't like them.
  • My wife has the Sony wh-1000xm3, and while they're great for noise cancellation, the audio quality is boomy and not pleasing, and the leather makes my ears sweat. I'm hoping the AirPods Max are similar/better in ANC, but _way_ better in sound quality.
  • We tried the AirPods Pro and just couldn't get the noise cancellation to work very well at all (I think Apple has changed the firmware a few times....). Maybe we didn't test well enough, but neither of us really liked them. Lately I've pulled out my Etymotic ER-4Ps, but I could really use wireless to be able to walk around the house/clean/feed children/etc while on calls and not have to be tied to the laptop. AirPods (regulars) are my usual go-to, but I definitely don't love them for sound quality or NC/isolation.
  • Weight is a question mark. MKBHD said they would start sliding around/off if he was bending over. But others have said most of the pressure/weight is on the ears.
  • Wonder if the $10 Apple Lightning->Audio adapter will work for these headphones. I have a couple of those around here... $8 on Amazon at the moment https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B01LXJFMGF
Good discussion here! :)

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #192 of 5,629
The Verge make an article, sharing it just for hhe close up pics.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #193 of 5,629
Thanks for sharing this; I'd never heard of Marques (yes I live under a rock) but now I've subbed to his YouTube channel. Great production in his reviews from what I can tell and seems he has access (Bill Gates, Satya Nadella, Elon Musk, etc.)
He’s been at it for years. I remember when he first started by covering Android phone leaks back in 2008 or so.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #194 of 5,629
This is exactly what the Hifiman CEO said is the future of HIFI in an interview. The H1 chip on each ear cup brings 30% lower latency so that solves the lag in data transmission and AI assisted processing of sound will only improve over time. You have adaptive EQ which I would assume you can configure to be U, V, M, Neutral, etc... plus it is Beryllium-free so good for the environment and people. Those headphones with Beryllium may sound good but also got blood on their hands for using that product.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #195 of 5,629
The Verge make an article, sharing it just for hhe close up pics.
The problem with the current crop of reviews is that they consider Sony and Bose high end. Rarely anything you can buy from your local Bestbuy is considered Highend. These days only Sony OLED TV is truly high end in Bestbuy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back