Airist Audio Heron 5 Loaner Program (and Black Friday Sale!)
Dec 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #61 of 156
Just a quick question about the status of the tour in Europe? Has already started?

Cheers

Dec 22, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #63 of 156
I just received the Heron 5 earlier today! Such a wonderful treat to be able to audition and do some critical listening with over the holidays. What has immediately stood out to me upon first listen is the clinical presentation of the music without it being cold in doing so. I find that the bass is so dang articulate/extremely well controlled. The mids are very organic and the treble is really, really well extended but not overly emphasized. Again, I am hearing a very speedy neutral sound that is not fatiguing. These are my early findings with a full review to follow.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #64 of 156
Unit off to the next lucky user...

Dec 24, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #65 of 156
Really enjoying the workmanship and attention to detail that shows from every angle of the Heron 5.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #66 of 156
Ok, it's been close to over a week now with the Airist Heron headphone amplifier, and it's run pretty close to the way it's been described by others in this thread and in the excellent Head-fi review by dmhenley. I've paired it with a number of headphones and DACs and, ultimately, the sound of the amp shines through: quiet, smooth, and relaxed. Not muted, I should add. Others have detailed the Heron's sound in reviews outside of Head-fi, as well, so there's no point in belaboring the obvious. This amp is not an amp for Monster drink-chuggin', full-throttle headphone trophy big game hunters. Your music won't blaze out of the chute, you won't peer into every note's tonal nucleus, and you sure won't liquify your eardrums with gigantic dynamic solar flares. This is not an amp that will floor your headphone pals, at least not at first. Put simply, I think some might find the Heron to be a little tame. But I spent a lot of time listening to the Heron, and I had a different view. I felt that it was extremely engaging to listen to precisely because it delivered such a fatigue-free , drama-free sound. Believe me, there's a lot to be said for an amp that just sounds very good over many long listening sessions. It's built solidly, too, although the corners were a little sharp for me. I share others concerns about its $1999 price tag, but I have experienced amps of lesser build quality at a higher price. This is definitely a daily-use amp for those desiring an amp that doesn't bring attention to itself by trying to do too much. Thank you Airist Audio for allowing me to spend time with the Heron headphone amplifier, and now it's off to the next lucky listener. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #67 of 156
  Ok, it's been close to over a week now with the Airist Heron headphone amplifier, and it's run pretty close to the way it's been described by others in this thread and in the excellent Head-fi review by dmhenley. I've paired it with a number of headphones and DACs and, ultimately, the sound of the amp shines through: quiet, smooth, and relaxed. Not muted, I should add. Others have detailed the Heron's sound in reviews outside of Head-fi, as well, so there's no point in belaboring the obvious. This amp is not an amp for Monster drink-chuggin', full-throttle headphone trophy big game hunters. Your music won't blaze out of the chute, you won't peer into every note's tonal nucleus, and you sure won't liquify your eardrums with gigantic dynamic solar flares. This is not an amp that will floor your headphone pals, at least not at first. Put simply, I think some might find the Heron to be a little tame. But I spent a lot of time listening to the Heron, and I had a different view. I felt that it was extremely engaging to listen to precisely because it delivered such a fatigue-free , drama-free sound. Believe me, there's a lot to be said for an amp that just sounds very good over many long listening sessions. It's built solidly, too, although the corners were a little sharp for me. I share others concerns about its $1999 price tag, but I have experienced amps of lesser build quality at a higher price. This is definitely a daily-use amp for those desiring an amp that doesn't bring attention to itself by trying to do too much. Thank you Airist Audio for allowing me to spend time with the Heron headphone amplifier, and now it's off to the next lucky listener. 

Very well said, I'm even more excited for my turn, bout another 1.5 months to go and can't come fast enough.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #68 of 156

Yep! I haven't written my official review yet, but most of the reviews are sounding very similar. It's an amazing amp and as time goes by I realize I'm missing it. The price is steep, but other than that the complaints are minimal. I'm excited too see if Airist makes a downmarket amp with similar sound characteristics.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #69 of 156
Yep! I haven't written my official review yet, but most of the reviews are sounding very similar. It's an amazing amp and as time goes by I realize I'm missing it. The price is steep, but other than that the complaints are minimal. I'm excited too see if Airist makes a downmarket amp with similar sound characteristics.

That would seem inevitable, given the many comments about price point. But even at the price offered, there's definitely room in the headphone amp market for the sonic signature of the Heron. But i agree, if the same sound could come at a cheaper price, it would be an attractive offering...

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #70 of 156
I have just received the Heron 5 (thanks @Dean Seislove!) and have them set up at home. The listening begins!

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #71 of 156
First, Airist Audio, thank you for this opportunity to demo the Heron 5!  It's very gracious of you.     

I was pleasantly surprised that a package arrived today containing the Heron 5.  I wanted to share a few first impressions:

1) Packaging was superb.  Doubled boxed and nicely padded. 
2) The Heron comes with a nicely bound owners manual that is well laid out which makes it easy to follow.  
3) The build quality of the Heron 5 itself surpassed my expectations.  From the beautifully satin finished aluminum chassis to the convenience features, like high and low gain head phone ports placed on the front of the amp. You can feel the attention to detail that the designers have followed in the execution of the Heron 5. 

I'll follow-up with some listening impressions once I get used to the sound of the Heron 5.     

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #72 of 156
First, Airist Audio, thank you for this opportunity to demo the Heron 5!  It's very gracious of you.     

I was pleasantly surprised that a package arrived today containing the Heron 5.  I wanted to share a few first impressions:

1) Packaging was superb.  Doubled boxed and nicely padded. 
2) The Heron comes with a nicely bound owners manual that is well laid out which makes it easy to follow.  
3) The build quality of the Heron 5 itself surpassed my expectations.  From the beautifully satin finished aluminum chassis to the convenience features, like high and low gain head phone ports placed on the front of the amp. You can feel the attention to detail that the designers have followed in the execution of the Heron 5. 

I'll follow-up with some listening impressions once I get used to the sound of the Heron 5.     

Well said sir! I love the feel of the volume pot and the way it "clicks" as you adjust it. So tactile and purposeful too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back