Airhead 4.5V to 6V upgrade
Feb 12, 2003 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a 4.5V AH, the new type, and I really hated how they had the clips for 3 AAA batts. i used rechargable alkaline, and sometimes NIMH, so when the three die, i have one left over still charged. and plus, when i use NIMH, the voltage isnt 4.5V with three. so i went to radio shack, picked up a case for 4 AAA batts for $1.94 after tax, opened my AH up and pried out the old clips, cut off the DC input plug for room, and soldiered the wires in for the batt pack, put batts in and put it in the case. took about 10 minutes to do in all. now i have full voltage with NIMH and dont have any extra batts left over to drive me nuts afterward. just a thought to headroom:: 4AAA batteries next time instead of 3 please!

Feb 12, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 7
How about some before and after pics?
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 13, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 7
my camera broke
frown.gif
. so i had to take it back and now its gone for 2 weeks
frown.gif
(pout). ill take some when i get it back though.... like a week or 2 from now. you should do the mod if you use rechargables i say. well not really a mod, but just replacement of part

Feb 14, 2003 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 7
Hi.
I've been thinking the exact same thing. Why only three AAA batteries? But I havn't got around to change it. Are there no "side effects" in this little sugrery operation?
I too would love to see "before and after".

Regards,
Johan

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Are there no "side effects" in this little sugrery operation?

Quote:

so I... cut off the DC input plug for room

So I assume you lose that capapbility (?).

Feb 16, 2003 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
So I assume you lose that capapbility (?).

pfft. never used it anyway, its a portable amp, not a home model. besides, the plug is some wierd size, and none of my wal warts work with it. there are no side affects to this other than that. it has more headroom actually, now. i feel so deprived not having my camera
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Very interesting mod here. I like it.

I went a different route. I use the dc jack (5.5mmx1.5mm) and a rat shack 6AA battery pack to acheive 9volts. I made the wire long enough that the battery pack fits in one pocket and the amp in another. It works in my situation but may not for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back