Aikido 24V headamp
Nov 30, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #301 of 570
I am going with Multicap and instead of .47uF/400v like Fierce, I was thinking 1uF/100V. How much difference is it going to make between the 100v/200v/400v versions? I was thinking that the 100V will do fine and anything higher is unneccesary. I don't know why Freak put a 400V cap where he could have used a 100V?

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #302 of 570
By ordering the 400V cap you have the option of robbing it for use on a HV amp at a later date
icon10.gif
I do this all the time, rob from one project to mod another.
On your previous post about the output transistors/regulators, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 317's, even more so in balanced configuration. You would never think that such a good sound can come from a voltage regulator. The only reason I put the DN2540's in mine was because I read the article on TCJ about it and just wanted to try some modding on my own, that and the fact they were cheap and I was placing an order anyways.

So how are you coming along with your BOM?
I finally took advantage of the ebay/microsoft 30% discount to order a quad of 6H30's to go ahead with the noval HV build.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #303 of 570
I ordered my 24V Aikido board yesterday since it was on sale, and also ordered the H-PS1 kit and some tube sockets.

I decided to get some Russian 6N23P tubes, I got a lot of 8 made in 1992 off of Ebay and used the microsoft cashback on them to end up pretty cheap.

JB provides recommended values for the resistors depending on which tube is used, but gives a range of caps without a specific recommendation. I'm at a loss on how to figure out what cap sizes would be optimal for me. I will be using the headphone section for my JVC RX700 which have a 48ohm impedance if that helps to choose sizes. The line out will be feeding my gainclone and powered sub.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #305 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6N23 at 24V, or did you mean 6N27?

6n23 at 24v, I assume since they are a direct replacement for 6dj8 and JB shows how to use them at 24v that they would work right?

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #306 of 570
The 6DJ8 and 6922 are in the updated 24V users guide, with the parts values shown for running at 24V B+, and I have read many places that the 6DJ8/6922 are direct derivatives of the Russian 6N23.
Interesting. Thing is if you don't like the 6N23 you can always sub another tube, if you like, without much fuss (R2,4,8,and 11 in most cases).
EDIT:All info I find shows the 6DJ8 and 6N23 to be the same in all specs with the exception of max voltage rating.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #307 of 570
The PRP resistors that Fierce used don't come in some values he listed in his BOM. So I switched the 2R to a 5R, the 20R to a 22R, the 300R to a 330R. Will there be any major change with these, or should I seek out the exact values?

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #308 of 570
Yea I meant to say that I got his BOM and looked at it, and he had all of the values correct, but some of them were beside the wrong part places. R15 through 19 were mixed up a bit, but that is in relation to my/his amp, and I am unsure if these resistor numbers are changed on the newer uptaded boards.

Dec 5, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #309 of 570
Quote:

Yea I meant to say that I got his BOM and looked at it, and he had all of the values correct, but some of them were beside the wrong part places. R15 through 19 were mixed up a bit, but that is in relation to my/his amp, and I am unsure if these resistor numbers are changed on the newer uptaded boards.

I think the resistor values are the same, the new board just adds a seperate high voltage B+ pad. Could you check to see if the resistor value he used amp is the same as the BOM for (300R for R3,9,10), (20R for R17), and (2R for R18)? The BOM calls for these resistor values, but PRP does not make them so he either used different values or different resistors. I am curious which? I am going to stick with the 24V and try to avoid tinkering and rolling of parts in an effort save cash.

My wife can't get a visa to come to Canada to see me so I will need to go to Thailand to see her in the middle of a revolution. My work contract here in Canada has been extended to June. I intended on getting back to her in November. I have not seen her in 14 months and not much more than a couple of months in the last three years. I have been on a mission to save money so I can buy land and build a house before this crisis that will come in the new year. Now, because the other contactors are so slow I will not be ready when it starts and will have to play catch-up in Thailand. I expected this global crisis and was ready for it under Bush Sr. back in the 90's. When he did not get it done I thought the threat had subsided. Enter Junior! I have spent the last six years finding an alternate home on the globe to prepare for what Junior has done for his dad. During this time I fell I fell in love and everything in the scope changed. I had wanted to be set-up before the ID cards with radio chips were issued to the US and the NAU goes through in 2010 because of the trouble these events will create. I sold my system to get back to Canada a few years ago to earn cash as SCUBA instructors may have the best job in the world, their pay is low. The only possesions I have is my music and a few changes of clothes. I am squatting at a friends house who has a PC which helps. Thankfully, I have my DIY project to keep me sane! I just can't let the costs get out of control and exceed my budget even though the extended contract means more cash. We are all going to need to be tight in the near future and keep communication lines open in search of the truth.

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #310 of 570
I'm gonna get you a list of the resistor values I have, but first I just wanted to say that I had no idea... ummm I don't know what to say really.
Can you move her here to where you are? How hard is it in Canada? If and when the ID thing goes through, and some think it will be stalled, it could make things harder, but it may just make things easier.
I don't know much of nothin', but I know what it is like to be away from the one you love most.

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #311 of 570
OK, maybe I will just skip freak's BOM and just give you the part's values straight from the board.
Resistor list for one channel only, 24V amp, all PRP's on mine:
R1,5,6,7,12,14=1M
R2,4=180
R3,9,10=330
R15=5
R16=18
R17=10k
R18=100k
R19=75k
R20,21=10k(Note R20/21 are the same part on both left and right channels, the resistor that couples the tube output to the buffer input, and forms the low pass filter at the same time, new pcb's may be corrected for this, but the updated pdf user's guide on TCJ still shows the old pcb, with R20/21.)
R15/16 don't have to be 5/18 respectively. They could be 20/20 or 24/24 or 25/25.
3,9,10 are recommended 300 by JB.

PM sent Rodent.

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #312 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PRP resistors that Fierce used don't come in some values he listed in his BOM. So I switched the 2R to a 5R, the 20R to a 22R, the 300R to a 330R. Will there be any major change with these, or should I seek out the exact values?

None of those values are very critical and the values you chose will work well.

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #313 of 570
Quote:

I'm gonna get you a list of the resistor values I have, but first I just wanted to say that I had no idea... ummm I don't know what to say really.
Can you move her here to where you are? How hard is it in Canada? If and when the ID thing goes through, and some think it will be stalled, it could make things harder, but it may just make things easier.
I don't know much of nothin', but I know what it is like to be away from the one you love most.

I can't even get her here to meet my family for three weeks! As for the cards... The US will have anothr "terror" attack and the people will line up. I have a friend in intelligence says that a mushroom in the sky in inevitable to make people run for the cards. If we come out of this with less than a billion dead, it will be because of the will of good men!

Dec 7, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #315 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry to spoil the Christmas cheer.
redface.gif

Those passports with the RF chip in them can be legally smashed with a hammer if you feel like it or kept in an aluminum foil wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif
Take care of yourself, hope you still have a great christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back