Aikido 24V headamp
Nov 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #256 of 570
I don't know if there is any way around the output coupling. Maybe coupled to another SS amp, mybe a JB design.If you use the 317, cooling will not be an issue at all. I don't know what the 12sx7 puts out for heat, but the 6gm8 is only warm to touch.I just read yet another article about the 12SX7 being run at 26.5V.I gotta try to stop listening to my aikido, I have lost all interest in everything else. If I do get around to building something else, I will need to put a diaper on before listening.Seriously. I've never been satisfied with an amp this long, of course I have not listened to every amp on the planet yet lol.

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #257 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking at some crazy ideas for cooling anyway, so the extra heat will not be a problem. My Box-o-Goodies is going to be one vintage looking stereo cabinet abou 24" wide, 16" high and 12" deep. Inside that box I will have a HTPC with ESI Juli@ outputing I2S to a Buffalo DAC with NP D1 I/V stage. The DAC will receive DSD as well from a Denon spinner. The Aikido is next to a Firstwatt F1. I figure the F1 will handle a full ranger like a good HP amp handles cans, I got used to control and less distortion. This will be cooled by two liquid cooling systems. One will cool the air in the whole box(sealed to control humidity) by mounting a rad core inside as well. The second will directly cool the F1 and now maybe the Aikido buffers. I bought some Peltier thermoelectric plates to play with. When I build my house I am going to integrate these elements into my hot water heater and aircon systems. I am thinking that, since I have moving water on the land I will build a small generator from a car alternator(generator). The 12V DC is great for the lights, fans, Peltier plates, etc. I was thinking about running the DAC, Aikido, PC, and F1 off DC-DC power supplies. The only appliances that need AC are the TV and fridge. If I build a HT I would like to build a projector using LEDs as a light source and run it off DC as well. I guess I could wire four 12V batteries with relays to cut charge lines when the power is on. I could use one battery for the DAC and PC, three batteries in series for the 30V D1 rails, and all four wired in series for the 48V. I am sure the F1 would fit in there somewhere. If you have any other ideas or simple DC-DC 12V power supplies to get me the 30V+/- for the D1 and the 48V B+ for the Aikido. I am not so learned yet, this is all just ideas.

The benefits of a 12V DC house:
- less electrical stress on us.
- less noise in the power.
- less heat generated by conversion between AC and DC.
- free power and the infrastucture would cost half.
- "the man" has to mind his own business.
- less issues with Thai monsoons making things go boom.
- less expensive power capacitors.

I would use an invertor to get my 220V AC if it is necessary, but I am afraid that it will introduce lots of noise. I guess I could convert the power to 220V and use dual 55V transformer to convert the power from 220V to balanced 110V. This way I could use it easily in Canada and buy the big transformer in Thailand to act as a 220V/110V converter. This should also remove any noise introduced by the inverter.

On a different note... Is there not a way to use two of these boards in a balanced push/pull set-up and remove all of the output caps?

I don't want to discourage your plans, but there are some potentially large issues with the system. I can only imagine that Thailand has high humidity in the summer. Anytime you have a radiator or Peltier, you are going to have condensation. The fans and pumps used to circulate the water and cool the rads will make a lot of line noise so they would have to be on isolated power systems.

DC power systems lost out to AC due to current and voltage drops. A 12Vdc home will require huge cabling and the current draw for a device on 12Vdc will twice that of the same device at 24Vdc, and it's lower yet for AC. Battery based systems have their own disadvantages too, and you will see more variation in voltage on a 12Vdc system than a 220Vac system. For ease of math, let's say your secondaries are 22Vac to produce the 31Vdc in a regular PSU. If your house AC system browns out 15% and you drop to 187Vac, you'll have 18.7Vac on your secondaries and still have 26.4Vdc at the V-reg. Your amp will stay at 24Vdc, but your V-reg will run a little hot. Using a 12Vdc system and a see a 10% drop due to high demand loads, or more likely, low output from wind turbines, solar, or water, and your incoming voltage drops to 10.8Vdc and your secondaries drop to 21.6Vdc. Not so good... So you have to step up higher and regulate back down which involves power supply again and you need to step up high enough to minimize the percentage of voltage drop at the device. Most of the designers I really respect played around with various battery or DC only systems and all came back to AC power supplies with filtered AC feeding linear regulated power supplies.

If your going completely off-grid than you either go without power at times or you need a generator. The generators on the market are designed to either output very high voltage DC or regulated AC. The DC out gensets are designed for use with RE systems and the RE system has the inverter built into it. The "regulated" AC gensets are that in the most generous of terms unless you spend big bucks... But I think the cost killer will still be the very large wire gauges needed to prevent voltage drops within the house. You would have to run 6 or 8 gauge where 14ga can be used for 120Vac and probably still be limited to 10A on a circuit versus 15 or 20 with AC. Actually, dedicated outlets could get you up to 60A at 220Vac if you panel is up to the task. Our Jenn Air oven and range is on a 40A 220Vac circuit by itself. It was in the house when we moved in, so I'm actually looking forward to replacing it with a much less power hungry stove, though we don't use the range top attachments that really suck up the power.

I think co-generating your own power is awesome and I'm a member of the American Solar Energy Society here in the States. Our next house will be built to much higher energy efficiency standards and have solar hot water, solar PV panels, and hopefully wind turbines as well. BUT, my house will still be grid tied. I just plan to make more electricity than I use and sell the excess power to the grid. Once hydrogen systems become cost effective, I will divert the excess energy into generating and storing hydrogen.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #258 of 570
John has the RTI capacitors now available separately for purchase in the online store at $20 a pair.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't know anywhere else you can order these online.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #259 of 570
If I use a +/- power supply is there not a way to avoid coupling caps? Could I not just wire one board - and the other +, reference them to a common ground with a resistor between them thus eliminating the need for coupling caps?

Nov 27, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #260 of 570
I'm not sure I follow you exactly, but if one stereo amp board was wired +/- 12V, you would have to really fine tune either the voltage or the bias to achieve a near perfect 0V (no DC offset) on the headphone out.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #261 of 570
I have a couple of 24V Aikido boards to do a balanced preamp/canamp sitting here driving me mad! I need to order parts before I crack! I want to know if there is a way to remove the DC coupling caps. I thought that if a +/-12V ps was used there would be no need for coupling caps but I don't no if that is 100%. If that is the case, which caps could I remove and how difficult will it be to make everything balance? If I understand correctly, all I need use is a simple resistor for each channel. Where would I tie that resistor, from the + signal to ground and the - signal to ground? I am really new at this and this is my first and likely last big DIY project and I just want to get it right. I was under the belief that other that the extra current, the reason for going balanced was to cancel noise and drop out the caps leading to less coloration(an cash)?

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #262 of 570
No... if you are going balanced you have some options, and negative supplies are not required. You could remove both output caps and short the pads. The problem is how do you ensure that the voltages at the + and - output are exactly the same so that the net offset is 0mV or very close. You could trim the voltage so that you are close but drift would probably be a problem. You could build a servo to keep the dc between the two outputs zeroed. You could also use only one capacitor on the + or on the - output. Or you could build it like single ended and populate both output caps. Each option has its own problems and complications. Only you can decide which one you are comfortable with.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #264 of 570
Yea like looser101 said, you may finally get to the 0mV point, but you would have to check it often to make sure it doesn't drift.
Just build it with cap coupling, you will LOVE IT I am sure. Cap coupling gets a bad rap if you ask me.
Your right rodent, coupling caps do add or take from the coloration, but it's fun to try different ones to see how they react to the signal.
Another point with just the SE amp would be, that it looks like +/- supply might work in the middle of the schematic(for the tubes), but you would have problems when you look at the input and output, they both rely on the ground to complete the coupling.

Have you tried anything new looser101?
I think I am going for the 5687 next.
I already bought some tubes, and now looking at some Sylvania Gold Brand 5687's(cheap used ones). I want to do something different, even though I am perfectly content with the 6GM8 amp I have now.

If I may ask another question looser101, I think that somehow I lack the last bit of something on the bottom end.
My current output coupling is:
Panasonic FA 4700uF 16V
Auri 2.2uF 200V
2x Auri .01uF 200V
I have tried many caps, maybe it is my source, the 0404usb.
I would try something else, if I knew someone else had tried it and it held some promise.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #265 of 570
rodentmacbeastie: If you want to save some money on a balanced setup you can skip the output coupling cap on the - output, and you can use the standard size cap, since in this situation it doesn't have to be twice the value.

digger945: Haven't been doing much with the HV Aikido lately, even though I ordered a PS-1 psu from JB. Should be here soon. You should really look at the 6H30, it's reported to be a very good low voltage tube. I could never get the sound I wanted with the 6CG7. RCA 6GU7 was a very good tube, much better than 6CG7 cleartops IMO. 6N6P as an input tube really woke up the highs. So I put in another set of 6H30's on the input with similar results. So currently it's a 6H30/6H30 Aikido.

I have 3 projects on the go right now. Primaluna Prologue One (no mods yet, except for tubes). Blueberry Audio EL84 Triode SE speaker amp (just received some new Transcendar output transformers for it). And of course the Aikido is getting a new power supply soon.

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #266 of 570
OK well I will give the 6H30 another look then, maybe just order the parts for the 9pin mono boards I already have.
I think I will go HV this time looser, manaox is gonna trade some parts for a quad of the 6GM8 tubes I recently purchased and two PS-1 boards are coming my way, they are the older ones with the misprint on them.
The biggest reason I favored the 5687 setup is to try just output coupling directly from the tube, without the buffer, and the fact that the 5687 puts out some good power. Maybe later.

At what voltage do you run the 6H30?

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #267 of 570
To be certain, which output caps can I remove and which can be smaller? If you can tell me the C# from the schematic it would be very helpful. Again, I am new to this and want to be sure. Also, if I wired one board for the L/R- and B+ of -24V and the second board L/R+ and B+ of +24V, with seperate PS each would there be any possibilities here?

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #268 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be certain, which output caps can I remove and which can be smaller? If you can tell me the C# from the schematic it would be very helpful. Again, I am new to this and want to be sure. In this scenario I remember reading somewhere John Broskie wrote that all that is needed in place of the caps is a resistor between the rails. This is why he said that the mono boards were easier to use in a balanced build and he was toying with the idea of releasing balanced kits. I am guessing that the reason was so it was easier to tied each (+)channel's ground to it's opposing (-)board's ground with a resistor. I remember the resistor is how it sort of autobiases itself. I could be thinking this up myself, but I am not that smart. I will try and find JB's paper on the balanced cuircuits. But if this is right, this makes think that with some crazy wiring that one board for the L/R- gets a B+ of -24V and the second board L/R+ and B+ of +24V referenced to each other with a resistor and with seperate PS each, it should work. Do you think there could be any possibilities here? Ugh, I have to find that paper on tubecad.

I know I read it there.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #270 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK well I will give the 6H30 another look then, maybe just order the parts for the 9pin mono boards I already have.
I think I will go HV this time looser, manaox is gonna trade some parts for a quad of the 6GM8 tubes I recently purchased and two PS-1 boards are coming my way, they are the older ones with the misprint on them.
The biggest reason I favored the 5687 setup is to try just output coupling directly from the tube, without the buffer, and the fact that the 5687 puts out some good power. Maybe later.

At what voltage do you run the 6H30?

150 Volts biased at 40mA. Few tubes can take the abuse I put mine through and sound good doing it.

Let me know when you are ready and I will give you some tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back