Aiaiai TMA-1
May 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bobbert

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for a new set of cans. I've looked at the ATH-M50, Sony MDR-XB500 (bought), Ultrasone Hfi-780, V-MODA products, Philips Uptown/downtown, and a lot others. I'm looking for something that I can wear in public (beats by dr dre solo size but without the 250$ name and sound) and not look like a tellytubby. I found out about the Aiaiai TMA-1 and I think they look amazing but at the same time a bit chincy... Is the sound and build quality worth the price?
Why or why not?
Cheers.

May 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 15
They have a very specialized sound.. That said, not many people agree with them and it's price tag. Personally, I grew to like the thick, viscous sound, and find them difficult to put down once I became acclimated to them; but I cant find myself recommending them often for pure listening on a budget(one of my friends did like them considerably more than the HD25-1 II's after I lent him both for extended A-B).
Have you checked out the V-Moda M-80/V-80's? Ive been meaning to try them, but people seem to really dig them, around here.

May 31, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 15
I own the AIAIAI tma-1 and I'm very happy with it. The built quality is perfect, even as the design. I think you have already read that it's designed by DJ's. So it's very durable and fine to handle. On the outside, you can't see the brand. Some people asked about it in the train or on the street, 'where did you get that headphone?'
I use the tma-1 with de PA2v2 amp and have no complaints about the sound. Before the tma-1 I used the monster beats studio, so, everything is better than that.

May 31, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 15
Will I need an amp to drive this well on my iPod?
I'm deciding between these and the M-80s as I already have a pair of headphones for home use. I want something for on the go/working out and want a pair of on ear headphones.
M-80 VS TMA-1?

May 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 15
That's also a good choise. I don't own de V-Moda M-80 by myself. A good friend of mine has one. Pretty good sound quality but after a while listening, my ears began burning like fire. So the comfort is not so good, and in my opinion the looks are a little bit futuristic. The sound, however, is better than the tma-1.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 15
I have both, and prefer the TMA-1, but not because it sounds better. The M-80 is very rigid and uncomfortable. It is also much more flashy-looking if that matters to you. The TMA-1 is darker sounding, but fits better, so I prefer it, although I will probably not be keeping either. The M-80 is good sounding, with powerful bass. I haven't spent alot of time comparing their sound. I prefer the T50p to either of them.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 15
BTW, I was walking through a Best Buy today and these just happened to catch my eye!  Three boxes sitting right there on the bottom row of a shelf!  Unfortunately they were priced for 249.  But i was very surprised to see such a headphone at a Best Buy. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #11 of 15
TMA-1's at BestBuy? for real?

When I picked mine up I felt like I had to do a bit of research and a bit more traveling just to not have them shipped. Like others have said, these are nice + build quality is fairly sturdy as a result of large/few parts, but the sound is not for everyone. I read that they were very "dark" which seems pretty spot on.

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 15
The TMA1s are a good deal more comfortable than the HD25s IMO, but at the cost of slipping off your head if you look up and down a lot - not brilliant for DJing.  The pads are really decent as well.  The sound is... heavy.  Electronic stuff is good, and I don't mind rock on them, but my AT A500 is definitely the go-to can for classical music.  They definitely don't need an amp.

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
BTW, I was walking through a Best Buy today and these just happened to catch my eye!  Three boxes sitting right there on the bottom row of a shelf!  Unfortunately they were priced for 249.  But i was very surprised to see such a headphone at a Best Buy. 

250? dont you think it was the Studio edition you found? like you i was also surprised to find the TMA in BBY, but i guess it is nice to see they get a broader reach as i think they are a headphone brand that deserves more attention...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back