aiaiai TMA-1 Amp OR No Amp?
Jan 2, 2013 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chalky46

New Head-Fier
hi folkes
ive just joined because of having a new pair or TMA-1's for christmas.
each time i listen to them they sound better!

i wondering if an amp mite help or not bother?
if so what amp because i have not got a clue about amps and what to lok out for!

any suggestions please?

regards
michael

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 4
They are low impedance headphones, so they certainly do not NEED an amp with them. That being said, almost all headphones will sound better with a quality amp. It just depends on what you like, I've found that most amps will slightly change the sound signature of your cans (unless it is a 100% neutral sound that simply boosts your power - rare) so if you are perfectly happy with the sound and you don't need the power, leave them as is. Many amps offer fun things like bass boosts, treble adjustments, gain increase or decrease, etc. though, so they can add some flexibility if you like to EQ any of your music.

It really comes down to personal preference, the best thing to do as always is try and demo a few different things and see if you like the sound you hear.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks mani

I've had them plugged in my iPhone for 2 hours today and if I change the equaliser to rock I really do like the sound.
I think your right, I'll save my money. I'm selling my iPhone and going to look for a decent player when my new phone arrives.

Cheers

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Thanks mani
I've had them plugged in my iPhone for 2 hours today and if I change the equaliser to rock I really do like the sound.
I think your right, I'll save my money. I'm selling my iPhone and going to look for a decent player when my new phone arrives.
Cheers

Most phones won't perform well as a source for your files by themselves, I think the iPhone has a somewhat decent DAC though (I don't own an iPhone).

I find that even with low impedance headphones volume and power from phones is pretty limited. In my experience it has been difficult or impossible to over ride an on board DAC as well when using a phone, so having a much better exteral dac/amp doesn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back