aiaiai capital discussion thread
May 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #62 of 75
I have a problem. I bought a pair of theese that was supposed to be missing some screws, but apparently it also lacks some damping material, because the sound is waay to bright. I was wondering if anyone can post pictures of their Aiaiais inside, or just tell me if the vents are covered (the ones around the driver), or is the driver damped any other way. I can play with them, but first I want to get them to original state.

May 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #65 of 75
Thanks. I tried similar setup and didn't get a result like in the review though. Maybe the foam has different density or there is some more coverage on the holes inside the cup.
Anyway I came up with a very good results by covering most of the vents inside and leaving the ones on your photos open. They sound quite flat, a little bright. The bass is shallow, though it doesn't get deeper on these headphones.

Quote:
You mean these?
That foam around the driver came glued to it.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #67 of 75
Update here guys, as you may have read i recently purchased velour pads for the hd25's on ebay.
I received them earlier today and they really are a perfect fit. All my problems are gone, they're super comfy and seals super well.

I can't promise this will work as well for you as i think it did for me, but i absolutely think it's worth a shot.

This is how they look like:

// Dan

How did you change the pads for the HD 25 ones, simply pop them out ? Did the new pads change the sound quality of the Capital ? Very interesting mod !

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #68 of 75
looks like i'm having some wiring issues as one of the drivers is cutting in and out. Can't send them back to the mothership since they're out of warranty.

Anyone ever take these apart to recable?

May 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #69 of 75
Really interested in hearing about any sound changes with the hd25 pads. I had them before, loved the sound, but returned them because I found the pressure on the he top part of my ear too much. Was a shame, because they were perfect for London life. Think I might reorder and try this

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #70 of 75
I bought them for 19€ new. Couldn't resist. Wanted them for the gym / commute, because my Porta Pros broke again and I'm tired of getting new ones – Lifetime Warranty here doesn't work that well.
I really like their sound and built is ok. Weather Proofing is a nice bonus!

But I have the same problem as everyone else: hard to get a seal, because the angle of the phones to the headband just isn't right. 
Also the pads are pretty uncomfortable to me. Well, they certainly are weather proof :wink:

I tried my Grado Pads just for fun because they fit perfectly:
The SR325 pads don't work at all. Sound too thin and no seal. Doesn't work.
On the other side the the "Comfies" from the SR60/SR80 fit and really make them ... comfy :wink:
They give a much larger area for the headphone to rest on. Sound thins out just a little. I'll A/B them a little.

Looking into buying the HD25 pads. Should I get Velours or regular ones?

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #71 of 75
I've had a set of capitals for a couple of months - I love the sound and the simple construction.
The slight "clamp" and sound leakage make them perfect for running.. because of the larger drivers they have much meatier sound that most in ear type headphones - and in ear ones (wireless or not)

However - somehow one of the pads have developed a crack..and I predict that it'll disintegrate completely in the near future and need some replacements.

I've read here that two types fit..

Ear Sponge Cushion Pads for GRADO SR60/SR80/SR125/225/325/ 325i/Alessandro
and the
Sennheiser hd25 pads (leatherette and velour)

Price of the Sponge pads is roughly 6gbp
Price of the Sennheiser pads 10-12gbp

Can anybody tell me how much the sound will change with the sponge pads? And how about comfort - are they so soft that you can feel the plastic body of the head-phones?

Thanks,
 J.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #72 of 75
I went for the "Velour" option from Sennheiser in the end... just seemed like they'd be the more comfortable option..

BOY do the EVER make a difference.

Comfort wise - it's like wearing a much more expensive set - they sit snug, but not unpleasantly so.. even after wearing them an hour plus I dont have to readjust or move them around to avoid soreness or numbness in my ears like I had to with the factory pads.

Sound wise - now this is going to be subjective.. It seems to me like the deeper tones get a lift - which is something I like as I often wear these outside..I'm able to listen to music at lower volumes and as such I am not completely deaf when I take off the head phones now.

The Sennheiser pads are a PERFECT fit - it took me all of 2 mins to fit them, and it's a definite step up...these DIRT CHEAP headphones always seemed like a good buy - now they are an absolutely astonishingly outstanding purchase.. 

Picture here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jdqi63bi85cmg6/2014-10-01%2009.15.55.jpg?dl=0

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #73 of 75
Knowing of the seal problem, I bought them nonetheless (20€ is like, well, you know. A steal).
Owning the tracks, I think the driver is the same, but they offer better isolation.

BUT.

The pads. Uncomfortable.
So I bought a pair of original Sennheiser HD25 Pads, normal ones, not velour.

I'll let you know how it goes with them, and I'll post pics.

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #74 of 75
I bought a pair too a week ago, on amazon they are like 20€, so cheaper than most chinese junk; well aware of all the reviews citing uncomfortable pads and sound leakege, i don't know if it's my head or something but i find them not too uncofortable and with excellent seal! Maybe they changed the pads? Who knows, but to me they seal almost perfectly. They sound really fantastic, especially for the bargain price! I previously had the akg k518dj and i loved them, but boy these headphones sound do much better! And the weatherproof thing is a nice bonus as i use them for running too. One thing which is quite sub par is the quality construction, at best a 4/10. The plastic is cheap with casting signs all over, the regulation is flimsy, the cable quite mediocre; it is clear where they cut costs, because the drivers alone are simply amazing, the rest mediocre. For me they are excellent, i need them for commute and running and occasional movie on the train and such, the style is nice very "trendy". Maybe they are the perfect candidate for some modding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back