aiaiai capital discussion thread
Jul 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #19 of 75
Thought I'd weigh in here - 

My pair of Capitals arrived this morning. As reviews on the whole seemed generally positive I was happy to take a risk on the comfort issue. How wrong I was to do so! The cushions are so rigid - when you push them into your ear to create a bit of a vacuum the sound really improves, but otherwise it just feels like you're listening to them from a bit of a distance. In addition the noise leakage is terrible! There's no way I could wear these on the bus or anywhere close to other people without distracting them. 

I'm really disappointed... these headphones look really cool and I wanted to like them so badly. I played about with them for an hour or more to try and get them to sit on my head but to no avail. I tried to convince myself that they would get better but in the end I had to admit that they weren't for me. 

I've since listed them on amazon marketplace in the hopes of a quick sale.

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 75
Just keep listening constantly Capital for a week then you can decide whether it is for you or not. Aiaiai must come up with solutions to overcome the major problem for this unit, the comfort issue.Since the earpad is removable and this is the major complain from the Capital owner then the problem will be solve because the SQ on this is great!

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #21 of 75
after using them for a little while not on the nyc subway and bus network(with my cotton mod), I can say I have gotten used too it but there had to be different earpads that fit on it.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #23 of 75
I don't know for sure, but from the looks of the pictures, it looks like the pads are similar to the ones given on the new TMA-1 Studios.  Except it looks as if the hard foam (PU Foam) pad is a lot thinner (probably the same thinness of the leather pads that come with the Studios).  If so, you might be able to swap them out.  IDK though.  I may eventually try to get a Capital, but busy reviewing the Studio right now.  

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 75
I don't know for sure, but from the looks of the pictures, it looks like the pads are similar to the ones given on the new TMA-1 Studios.  Except it looks as if the hard foam (PU Foam) pad is a lot thinner (probably the same thinness of the leather pads that come with the Studios).  If so, you might be able to swap them out.  IDK though.  I may eventually try to get a Capital, but busy reviewing the Studio right now.  

The pads aren't interchangeable on the Capital and they are the same as the huge cup style pads on the Studio, but a lot more firm. They aren't hollow or thin.
Aiaiai kind of made these pads on the awkward size because they feel like at some point they cover your ears entirely yet leave a lot of space in between too which for some people it'll create a bad seal; and so you lose the thumpyness of the bass and detail. They don't immediately create a suction like the TMA-1 do.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #25 of 75
Quote:

The pads aren't interchangeable on the Capital and they are the same as the huge cup style pads on the Studio, but a lot more firm. They aren't hollow or thin.
Aiaiai kind of made these pads on the awkward size because they feel like at some point they cover your ears entirely yet leave a lot of space in between too which for some people it'll create a bad seal; and so you lose the thumpyness of the bass and detail. They don't immediately create a suction like the TMA-1 do.

TMA-1 Studios don't give me suction with the foam pads either.  The pictures make the Capital's pads seem a lot smaller (depth-wise) than the Studios.  It's a shame they aren't removeable :frowning2:

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #27 of 75
Quote:
They are removable but don't have the same mounting so you can only replace them with another stock pads. The Studio aren't supposed to have any suction. 

Oh, OK, so they don't have the four prongs on them?  Darn...  As for suction, the foams don't have suction, neither do the leather actually, but the leather performs a much better full seal over the foam (which isn't good with isolation and sound leaks with me).  

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #28 of 75
Guys,

I'm somewhat perplexed by your positioning issues as I find my Capital cans to be extremely comfortable and fit really well. Admittedly I have a large head (though not possibly a commensurately sized brain) and am mesmerized by the headphones clarity and beguiling musicality. 

Cheers,

Andy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back