Aftermarket cables worth it?
Apr 13, 2013 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Voidling

New Head-Fier
Hi there Head-Fi!

I'm curious. Do aftermarket/Third-party headphone cables make a noticeable difference in SQ? I own a nice pair of Brainwavz HM5s and while I'm fairly happy with their performance thus far, I'd like to milk them for all they're worth. I'd consider spending the $$$ on new cables, but I really can't see them making THAT much of an improvement.

Am I wrong?

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Hi there Head-Fi!

I'm curious. Do aftermarket/Third-party headphone cables make a noticeable difference in SQ? I own a nice pair of Brainwavz HM5s and while I'm fairly happy with their performance thus far, I'd like to milk them for all they're worth. I'd consider spending the $$$ on new cables, but I really can't see them making THAT much of an improvement.

Am I wrong?

No, you can't upgrade your headphones SQ by changing cable, at least the difference will be so small that you won't notice it.

But aftermarket cabling can be stronger/more comfortable to wear/nicer looking.

edit: this is my opinion,

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Hi there Head-Fi!

Am I wrong?

Not in my experience.

Some references for fun reading.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-part-one
http://en.goldenears.net/1414
http://en.goldenears.net/1301

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 8
It's worth it if you want to learn how to solder. Sometimes when I recabled a headphone they actually sounded worse than stock. For example, I hate ALO SXC (silver plated copper) on the Q701. It was nice at first. Canare also was bad on the HD-650.

Aftermarket cables don't have to be expensive. You can often find them for under $30 and Mogami Starquad bulk wire is under $1 per foot. I use Mogami and it doesn't dramatically alter the sound of my headphones. I like it on my HD-598.

Right now all my headphones except for my HD-598 use stock cables.

BTW if you don't like the sound signature of a headphone, a recable won't help.

I'm a believer in them offering some sight improvements that aren't measurable, but it's never more than say a 5% difference. Sometimes very subtle.

It's also not worth it without a good desktop DAC/amp. Not for me anyway.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 8
It's worth it if you want to learn how to solder. Sometimes when I recabled a headphone they actually sounded worse than stock. For example, I hate ALO SXC (silver plated copper) on the Q701. It was nice at first. Canare also was bad on the HD-650.

Aftermarket cables don't have to be expensive. You can often find them for under $30 and Mogami Starquad bulk wire is under $1 per foot. I use Mogami and it doesn't dramatically alter the sound of my headphones. I like it on my HD-598.

Right now all my headphones except for my HD-598 use stock cables.

BTW if you don't like the sound signature of a headphone, a recable won't help.

I'm a believer in them offering some sight improvements that aren't measurable, but it's never more than say a 5% difference. Sometimes very subtle.

It's also not worth it without a good desktop DAC/amp. Not for me anyway.

Hey it's tdock! I read a ton of your posts and reviews when I was headphone hunting! :D

Well, I'm always up for learning something new. Though if what you (and Headzone) say is true and it's mostly for cosmetic purposes, I'm not sure I want to bother. Maybe I'll try it later on though. A little pet project, maybe.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 8
It's certainly one of the most controversial topics in the world of hi-fi; and has been for years.

Seems to be the case. It's certainly an interesting topic.

Well thanks for the informative replies everyone! While I don't think I'll be investing in new cables anytime soon, I'll most likely look to them in the future if I run out of things to do. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back