Aftermarket cables for the HE-6/ HE-500 etc.
May 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #16 of 186
Yes I did. I also thought it would be nice to get a XLR ending in a speaker cable connection made out of the same wire and there was no interest in helping. We are not in the cable business as I remember. I then asked if they knew where I could get the same cable. Once again I do not know, only manufacture knows. Can not contact them. So it goes. I think with a set of cans that have the reputation of HE6 that they would supply a cable with speaker  termination. I got 5 great amps that will not drive these cans with the 1/4 inch plug. How short sighted to include a 1/4 inch plug, only. Worthless. So is the pretty presentation box which you can not put the cans in with the cable attached. Short sighted, indeed. 

I sent my 1/4" pigtail that comes with the 6s to hiflight. He took the 1/4" adapter off and lugged the cable. He then put the 1/4" adapter on a pigtail he makes. Perfect IMO.

May 31, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #17 of 186
Yes I did. I also thought it would be nice to get a XLR ending in a speaker cable connection made out of the same wire and there was no interest in helping. We are not in the cable business as I remember. I then asked if they knew where I could get the same cable. Once again I do not know, only manufacture knows. Can not contact them. So it goes. I think with a set of cans that have the reputation of HE6 that they would supply a cable with speaker  termination. I got 5 great amps that will not drive these cans with the 1/4 inch plug. How short sighted to include a 1/4 inch plug, only. Worthless. So is the pretty presentation box which you can not put the cans in with the cable attached. Short sighted, indeed. 

You can actually turn the 1/4" into a speaker adapter if you remove the 1/4" part. There should be 4 conductors, and you can mark them like L+/L-, R+,R- based on where they were soldered.

May 31, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #18 of 186
Thanks for the wake up call.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #19 of 186
Actually on my 1/4" there was just 3 leads: L+, R+ and common ground (silver wrapping). I asked Fang about using that for speaker terminals at RMAF- he recommended getting a balanced cable with 4 leads for the speaker terminals. He just shrugged when I asked him on why that would be better (than using my SE cable).

Quote:
Quote:

You can actually turn the 1/4" into a speaker adapter if you remove the 1/4" part. There should be 4 conductors, and you can mark them like L+/L-, R+,R- based on where they were soldered.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #20 of 186
Today recieved Silver Dragon for HE-6 with 4pin Neutrik XLR plug from moon-audio... You know after few minutes of listening with this cable I was thinking: "What a crap stock cable is...". I don't even want to connect back stock cable for direct comparission, because the difference is so large that it's just useless to compare them... It's just Silver Dragon is better in everything: bass control, detail, "clearness", vocal, ....
Was surprised that Silver Dragon (made of silver) is less bright than stock cable.

So IMO Silver Dragon is fantastic with HE-6 and I'm very very happy that I decided to buy it.

P.S. And Silver Dragon is not even burned in yet, I'm listening it less than hour by now, so I'm afraid to even predict what will sound be when cable is compleatly burned in...

Jun 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #22 of 186

Quote:
I'm very happy with my HE-6 & a Double Helix Molecule cable. 

X2, using it with an ALO banana plug speaker tap adapter.

Quote:

This is what I did at first, it works great.

Quote:
Actually on my 1/4" there was just 3 leads: L+, R+ and common ground (silver wrapping). I asked Fang about using that for speaker terminals at RMAF- he recommended getting a balanced cable with 4 leads for the speaker terminals. He just shrugged when I asked him on why that would be better (than using my SE cable).

They must have changed it, mine was one of the early production models.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #23 of 186
The HE-6 comes stock with an higher priced than stock moncrystaline (sp?) cable that is quite good. I ordered the TWAG balanced cable to use with my SR-71B which costs $300. Honestly the stock cable is a great cable and I don't feel that you should waste your money trying to get an upgraded cable for the HE-6. Fang tuned the HE-6 using the single crystal cable.
Some things are just better left alone.
Using speaker taps rather than a low powered headphone amp is probably the best bang for the buck that you can get. The sound improves tremendously with more power feeding the ortho. YMMV.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 186
I agree that the stock cable is great but unfortunately my cat thinks so too, and chewed on it a bit. He doesn't appear as interested in the DHC replacement cable with its cloth jacket. Or my K1000 cable for that matter, which doesn't have a jacket.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #25 of 186

Quote:
I find this very hard to believe......  I would like to get a wider range of opinions on this cable. Especially since this cable is so expensive.

I bought Silver Dragon because one guy at russian forum (he is one of the most respected guys on that forum and his advices always was very helpful to me) bought his second pair of HE-6 with Silver Dragon (his first is the stock one, he bought it from head-direct) and he wright quite emotinally about the difference: he said that with Silver Dragon HE-6 is sound like different headphones and he described it as that with Silver Dragon they sound like HE-6 with stock cable without damping (maybe wrong word, not sure how to say it in english), but they have bass, "air" and space as HE-6 with stock cable has with damping. So I decided to take risk... I'm really didn't expect such a difference, in my opinion the sound improvement is quite larger than that guy has described, it was quite a shock to me and my words about how bad the stock HE-6 cable is was said only in comparission to Silver Dragon... maybe stock cable is good and he will not lose to other aftermarket cables, but IMO Silver Dragon is clearly better than stock one with HE-6, for me it's a fact (and not only me, there are already 3 people on that russian forum that using HE-6 with Silver Dragon and they opinions is very similiar to mine 
wink.gif
).

P.S. It's just my opinion though, nothing more, so I'm not persuade anyone to buy this cable (my position is - always lisen before buying, but if that's impossible then it's very-very hard for me to decide... most of the times I don't buy it... for example I only buy HE-6 after I listen HE-6 of my friend). I'm just very happy that I bought this cable and it sound much better than I imagined. 
basshead.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #26 of 186
Resurrecting this thread.  I recently got HE-6 cables made by Steve Eddy from Q (http://www.q-audio.com/).  His website is currently in need of an overhaul, but if you send him an e-mail (steve@q-audio.com) requesting specifics, he should be able to accommodate you.  He provided me with the headphone cable, a variety of adapters for use with different rigs, as well as a pair of RCA interconnects.  There are bunch of unlisted cable colors, so once again I'd e-mail and ask.  I'm not certain of how accurate the pricing information on the website is, having ordered via e-mail, but Steve will give you a quote based on what you're asking for.

The most obvious advantage of the cable over the provided stock cable is the ergonomics.  The Q cable is extremely light and lacks the stiffness found in the stock cable.  Make no mistake, though, the cable is highly durable.  In order to assuage my own doubts, Steve performed a few strength tests at my behest [pulling wishbone-fashion on the Y-split, as well as towing a car 10 feet (not a joke)], and the cable remained unscathed.  The cable also sounds excellent.  I'm not going to compare the aftermarket cable to the stock cable in terms of sound quality, as the risk of the thread degenerating into a debate on whether cables matter to sound or not may ensue.  However, I can say that the Q cable sounds at least as good as the stock cable (which is of a fairly high quality as well).

Steve is excellent with communication, and backs his cables with top-notch customer service.  I was having a minor issue with the cable, and suffice it to say, it was quickly resolved.

Just to make it clear, I am in no way affiliated with Q.  I'm just a guy who was looking for a great aftermarket cable and found it.

Thanks Steve!

Pics:

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #29 of 186
Not gonna lie Steve, I kinda want a pair, the question is, what color.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #30 of 186

Quote:
Not gonna lie Steve, I kinda want a pair, the question is, what color.

Take your pick, Peter. http://www.q-audio.com/threads.html

Sridhar's cables came about because just for fun I thought I'd like to make myself a set of Sacramento Kings cables (our NBA team). So I had some sleeving made in purple, with black and "silver" tracers.

He was trying to decide what color he wanted. I always thought the HE-6's were black, so I suggested black. He corrected me and said they were actually sort of a really dark purple. I said "Purple? You wanna see purple?" and showed him a photo of the Sacramento Kings cables. He rather liked them and that's what he chose, in spite of my warning him that he'd probably get besieged with Barney jokes.
biggrin.gif

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back