Aftermarket cables for the HE-6/ HE-500 etc.
May 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
So the LCD-2 and HE-6 receive a lot of comparison. That is not a surprise considering they are both new top end Ortho headphones. What I don't understand is why is there a long discussion on what aftermarket cables to use with the LCD-2, and no thread for the HE-6.

I have read some discussion on the topic inside the HE-6 thread, but that discussion is so long and filled with other information as well. I thought it might be time to change that.

I own both the LCD-2 and HE-6, but am more interested in re-cabling the HE-6 as it is my preferred can of the two. If I had the money I would do both. For that matter, I may not be able to afford new cables for my HE-6 in the near future, but it is never too early to start looking.

Please comment on your experience using the HE-6 with aftermarket cables.

May 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 186
Stefan cables have a cable. You could customize it to your liking
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 186
May 5, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 186
Waiting for arrival Silver Dragon V3 cable with Neutrik 4-pin XLR jack for my HE-6, it was shipped from US yesterday. So according to statistic it will come to me in about 15-25 days. I will write my impressions here when it will arrive.
P.S. Will be listening with NFB-10ES, which is already in my town on customs, so I probably will get it on the next week.
P.P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

May 12, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 186
I anticipate hearing your thoughts. Your English seems fine, so no need to apologize for that. it is 1000 times better than my Russian. I dated a Russian girl for a few months while she was in town on vacation. The only time he spoke Russian around me was to talk about me to our mutual friend. So that is off topic.

The Double Helix cables seam interesting. They have a huge price range. I would love to hear some more thought on those. I have always heard silver brings out the top end, which in my opinion the HE-6 does not need. The silver dragon seems like a great idea for my LCD-2. The HE-6 is however my preferred can and more likely to receive a cable upgrade. I hope more opinions start to come in.

May 13, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 186
So the LCD-2 and HE-6 receive a lot of comparison. That is not a surprise considering they are both new top end Ortho headphones. What I don't understand is why is there a long discussion on what aftermarket cables to use with the LCD-2, and no thread for the HE-6.

I have read some discussion on the topic inside the HE-6 thread, but that discussion is so long and filled with other information as well. I thought it might be time to change that.

I own both the LCD-2 and HE-6, but am more interested in re-cabling the HE-6 as it is my preferred can of the two. If I had the money I would do both. For that matter, I may not be able to afford new cables for my HE-6 in the near future, but it is never too early to start looking.

Please comment on your experience using the HE-6 with aftermarket cables.

Of all the stock cables I've received with headphones, I prefer the HE-6's version. So I'm very happy to stand pat with them.

May 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 186
Funny but the Denon D7000 also has the 7N OCC cable and the HE^ is also OCC so no need for any other cables on either headphone for me. The HE6 cable is light and flexible. Wish the Denon was the same construction but is also very light but need to cared for properly or it will kink

May 16, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 186
Trevor at Norse is supposed to be working on a HE6 cable.  I have tried the Norse 8 conductor on my HE6 and I think it is a improvement over the stock.  Treble is about the same, difference is richer vocals and more body and presence in the bass.

Then again the stock cable if almost perfect in every way.

May 26, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 186
Does anyone know where to buy the cable that the HE6 comes with. I would like to make a extension and would like to use the same cable. I asked the people at HiFiMan and they said they do not deal in cable and only the manufacture would know and I found they were very reluctant to  help find the exact cable type. Stax has always offered extension cables and HE6 should. The stock cable is not bad but really sits you down in one place. I would love a extension.

May 27, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 186
did you try head.direct.customerservice@gmail.com. That is the email address for Head-Direct, who sell the He-6. I don't know if that is the same contact email you used, but I am surprised to hear of their unwillingness to help you.

May 27, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 186
Yes I did. I also thought it would be nice to get a XLR ending in a speaker cable connection made out of the same wire and there was no interest in helping. We are not in the cable business as I remember. I then asked if they knew where I could get the same cable. Once again I do not know, only manufacture knows. Can not contact them. So it goes. I think with a set of cans that have the reputation of HE6 that they would supply a cable with speaker  termination. I got 5 great amps that will not drive these cans with the 1/4 inch plug. How short sighted to include a 1/4 inch plug, only. Worthless. So is the pretty presentation box which you can not put the cans in with the cable attached. Short sighted, indeed. 

May 27, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 186
Fang had a speaker pigtail box in the beginning, I think he will have it again soon because of the popularity of people running the HE6 out of amps.  You ask here and someone can make you a XLR4 to binding post adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back