After you buy a headphone what is most important to you?
Aug 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 41
How the headphones look:4
How the headphones feel:3
How the headphones are packaged:5
How the headphone packaging looks:6
How the headphones sound:1
How the headphones were priced:2
Accessories:7

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 41
1 Sound
2 Feel

Get those wrong and I couldn't care less about the rest. Get those right and the rest is gravy.

3 Looks
4 Price

. . .

5 Accessories - Matters even less because I can always buy or make them or already have some that work
6/7 Packaging - Really doesn't matter (I don't watch unboxings)

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #18 of 41
1 Sound
2 Feel

Get those wrong and I couldn't care less about the rest. Get those right and the rest is gravy.

3 Looks
4 Price

. . .

5 Accessories - Matters even less because I can always buy or make them or already have some that work
6/7 Packaging - Really doesn't matter (I don't watch unboxings)

I've noticed countless reviews where the prominent point of emphases were the following:

"I picked up the headphones and they felt cheap": Ex: Sony MDR-MA900
When in reality these are some of the most durable headphones

"Beats absolutely sucks! You can do so much better for cheaper"
These same people spend $400 on a cable that subjectively makes it only marginally better

"I really love the box these come in": Sennheiser 650
Really a box? Last I checked people don't listen to a box and most people store their headphones on a hook, stand or just leave them lying around.

90% of  IEM over $100 with accessories
Why do you need 10 different pairs of tips and adjustments. Most people who spend over $100 are going to spend another $10-20 on aftermarket tips anyways. And even if they don't they are only going to use 1 set of tips leaving the rest as pure waste. 

Un-boxings/Packaging completely infuriate me. http://youtu.be/Gg74DvX8hkQ
Am I james bond? Are these headphones going to get thrown down a vent and then submerged in water ? Last I checked headphones like this are solely made for home use. 

"These headphones look and feel durable" vs "These feel thin and flimsy"
Why anyone would want to wear heavy headphones for long periods of time is beyond me. For most people the headphones go directly from their head to a set location. Durability shouldn't be an issue unless you throw them around. 

And for me personally price is most important factor. Most people would say sound should be but think of how many topics on head-fi are as followed: X headphone the best headphone @ y value,I'm looking to buy closed/opened/bassy/warm/analytical etc headphones for X money, X headphone the Y killer and of course the The Deals DISCUSSION Thread with over 450 pages. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #19 of 41
Feel = comfort, right? So apart from sound, that's really all I care about.

Even comfort I'm willing to compromise on so long as it's not causing discomfort. One of my favorites, K340, is so bulky that I wear it only lying on the sofa but it doesn't hurt.

I almost don't think about the cost. Maybe the reason is that nothing expensive has impressed me enough except expensive Stax (too much money) and UERM (bought it). Most of what I enjoy is vintage stuff that costs $200. That's what I like so that's what I own.

Reviewers typically try to take into account what everyone wants. You think that's a mistake, and maybe I agree. So when you write your reviews, you'd dwell on the fact that X is the best at its price. When I write a review, it's all about the sound; I mention other things only if there's a problem.

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #20 of 41
Durability? How about people who might DJ, use them in production or use them portably. Not everyone babies their headphones - and a lot of flimsy builds can get cracked headbands from just taking them on and off. Its good to know if the headphone you own might survive being dropped if done by accident. Likewise some folk might have young children in the home, and if you know kids they love fiddling and mucking around with things - more durable cans are a plus for these people. So of course Durability matters - and it is good to hear about in a review.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #21 of 41
Durability? How about people who might DJ, use them in production or use them portably. Not everyone babies their headphones - and a lot of flimsy builds can get cracked headbands from just taking them on and off. Its good to know if the headphone you own might survive being dropped if done by accident. Likewise some folk might have young children in the home, and if you know kids they love fiddling and mucking around with things - more durable cans are a plus for these people. So of course Durability matters - and it is good to hear about in a review.

Very true dj and kids are special situations . what erks me is the sony 900s are made out of graphite which is alot stronger then abs or lexan. That is another thing 1/4th lexan is stronger and more durable then abs yet the lexan at 1/4th the size would look and feel cheaper

I think if price wasnt an issue most would own purely flagships i know my 2 primary headphones are soley due to price denon2k for 180 new and 990s for 120 new since i got them for cheap they are more enjoyable

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #22 of 41
How the headphones look:2
How the headphones feel:1
How the headphones are packaged:7
How the headphone packaging looks:7
Accessories:7

If the headphones sound great but are un comfortable to wear I don't buy them period.

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #23 of 41
How the headphones look: 4
How the headphones feel: 7
How the headphones are packaged:  2
How the headphone packaging looks: 1
How the headphones sound: 6
How the headphones were priced: 5
Accessories: 3

Basically, comfort above all.  If it's not comfortable, I won't wear them regardless of how great they sound.  Then sound and value are the next priorities.  Beyond that, I really don't care too much about the rest. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #24 of 41
  When you are un-boxing and listening to the headphones for the first time what is most important to you?

Using 1-7, 1 being the most important and 7 being the least, rate the following. You may not use the same number more then once.

How the headphones look:
How the headphones feel:
How the headphones are packaged:
How the headphone packaging looks:
How the headphones sound:
How the headphones were priced:
Accessories:

Here is an example of how I'd judge it.

How the headphones look: 5
How the headphones feel: 3
How the headphones are packaged: 6
How the headphone packaging looks: 7
How the headphones sound: 2
How the headphones were priced: 1
Accessories: 4

I wonder why you do not want us to repeat the number of importance to us. I'm sure a few people will grade "sound" as being number 1 and all the rest number 7.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #25 of 41
  I wonder why you do not want us to repeat the number of importance to us. I'm sure a few people will grade "sound" as being number 1 and all the rest number 7.

Because I want to see what is most important to each person. I doubt anyone would go #1 sound and rest 7. If someone is poor they are going to want the best value and the richest person is going to demand comfort along with sound. If the headphone hurts it takes away from a great sound. I personally enjoyed the Grados sound but I couldn't wear them for more then 20 minutes before wanting to smash them.

Edit: I take that back there is 1 instances where I could see sound being #1 and everything else not mattering. If someone was a  sound engineer and needed the absolute highest accuracy. But outside of that  I can't think of a personality that would completely ignore all the other elements.

Edit: Also knowing what is most important to the head-fi community will help others and I make more effective reviews and observations.

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #26 of 41
I got you
wink.gif

What about the "Purist" that want the best?

How the headphones look:1
How the headphones are packaged:1
How the headphone packaging looks:1
How the headphones were priced:1
Accessories:1

If people here are considering buying, what about even more categories like: Kind of materials, uniqueness, prestige, easy to drive, Durability, colors, weight, shape, warranty, portability, easy to use, etc.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #27 of 41
  I got you
wink.gif

What about the "Purist" that want the best?

How the headphones look:1
How the headphones are packaged:1
How the headphone packaging looks:1
How the headphones were priced:1
Accessories:1

If people here are considering buying, what about even more categories like: Kind of materials, uniqueness, prestige, easy to drive, Durability, colors, weight, shape, warranty, portability, easy to use, etc.

This is a first impression question. First impressions tend to create a bias towards the following months/years.  Kind of material would be feel, uniqueness would be looks and maybe other areas, easy to drive would be sound, durability is hard to gauge on first listen, color is looks, weight is feel, shape is looks, warranty is loosely based in price, portability isn't a concern for the majority (over 50%) of users on here. Home users are going to leave their headphones on their desk most likely and 99% of IEMs are considered portable. Prestige in headphones? This isn't COD buddy =) But In all seriousness prestige is based on what a group of people think. If someone cares about that I can't see how someone could truly care how they sound.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #28 of 41
How the headphones look:4
How the headphones feel:3  - could be 2 sometimes, ex. if 2 phones sound similar, and one is more comfortable but slightly higher priced, I would go with that one
How the headphones are packaged:6
How the headphone packaging looks:7  - don't care about packaging
Accessories:5

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #29 of 41
So far no one seems to care about packaging. I typed in Headphone unboxing on youtube videos and the 2nd video makes me really think people do care. Look at all the extra crap that comes with the headphone. 

Edit: And to be fair even the flagships do it. A box,A manual?? what for??, velvet padding? reallly? And the review seemed upset that the headphones didn't come with more. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 41
1 - sound
2 - feel/comfort
3 - looks
4 - price

Everything else is irrelevant, however, I would add that I dislike over packaging. I do not like keeping the packaging, howver I feel obliged to hang on to it if it looks good. Like those Audeze wood cases. They become an encumbrance. Too nice to throw, too useless to be kept.

Accessories? The only accessory I would like them to provide is an airplane adapter if I bought a pair of portable headphones. Otherwise, leave it out and lower the price. People who buy $1k+ headphones, especially those with many, have more and better accessories.

Packaging looks? If this relates to a nice outer packagi to entice my curiosity... That's never going to happen. I've never even seen a hi-fi shop having their sale stock on display. I'm sure some do, but not the ones I go to. Please ship your headphones with lots of padding, a plastic bag for water proofing, and a brown shipping carton.

Designers, take note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back