after trading headphones...
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Jbucla2005

1000+ Head-Fier
the other party wants their headphones back! They have not stated a reason other than "it would be better for both of us."
I thought the trade was permanent and we had a deal. The only problem with the trade was that my headphones was missing the mini adapter, which I offered to obtain for him. I told him there is nothing I can do, there really was nothing wrong with my headphones and I did not lie about it's history, he saw pics, etc.

I am a little upset because I am not sure why this person is not happy. If the K701's are not for him, it's not my fault, he decided to go through with the trade, that's how I feel, but I feel bad about this uncomfortable situation.

I intend to stand my ground and not send anything back to him, I think that is the right thing to do. Any comments or suggestions?

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #2 of 50
If no parts have been fooled, as in getting less than they agreed on. Then I think the deal have been fulfilled, and there are no way back.

If the other part don't feel the same he/she should tell you what he/she mean is wrong.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #3 of 50
was it stated up front that the deal was a temporary or permanent arrangement?

If you both entered into the deal with the understanding that the swap was permanent, you are correct in standing your ground, unless you also agree that the new cans don't suit, and you both enter into a new agreement.

Hope it goes well for you.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 50
I think permanent is assumed unless we agreed on a temporary trade. I just advertised my AKG K701's for trade for HD600's, and got a reply from this person, we traded pix and made an agreement to do the trade. The transaction went smoothly although he wasn't happy about it missing the 1/4" - mini adapter (which I never got with the box when I bought it new.) I offered to get him a replacement but then he just pm'd me and said he wants to trade back. But I am happy with the Senns and want to keep them, so I told him I wasn't willing to do that at this point after we had a deal.

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was it stated up front that the deal was a temporary or permanent arrangement?

If you both entered into the deal with the understanding that the swap was permanent, you are correct in standing your ground, unless you also agree that the new cans don't suit, and you both enter into a new agreement.

Hope it goes well for you.

x2

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 50
If you're a nice guy you could trade him back his headphones, but IMO you have no obligations towards this person.
Ask him what his reason for this request is anyway, as his current answer is not useful at all.

The 1/4 jack thing just like an excuse to me, especially since you've offered to get him a replacement one (those things are terrible anyway, too much weight on the little connector).

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 50
No backies
mad.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always understood trade deals to be of permanent nature, unless stated or agreed by both parties otherwise.

My position as well. And as stated above the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter included w/ the K701 is bad because it puts to much strain on the amp jack and it is made of metal with a rough surface that will scratch other surfaces. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 50
These questions are rhetorical:

Was feedback exchanged by both parties?
What is this person's head-fi reputation?
Are you satisfied with your side of the transaction?
How much time has elapsed?
Is head-fier ready to ship first?
Is this head-fier ready to pay all shipping?
Is this head-fier ready to pay a bonus for your time?

A deal is a deal, IMO, but maybe you can work with this guy.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 50
I've been involved in headphone trades where the one I traded for was less than I expected and I didn't like it as much as the one I sent off. I took the opportunity to try a new trade for something else. I wouldn't ever be so callous as to demand a return of the status quo just because my curiosity had gotten the better of me.

I traded an HD650 for an HF-1. I didn't like tha HF-1 as much.

I traded the HF-1 for an Ergo 2. I liked the Ergo 2 more.

I traded the Ergo 2 for a K340. I Preferred the Ergo 2.

I traded the K340 for an SR-001. I preferred the SR-001.

I traded the SR-001 for another Ergo 2.

So I got "burned" twice. But I wasn't bitter about it.

You have no obligation here. IMO, a trade deal is always implied as permanent, the other kind would be an exchange loan, or cited deliberately as a temporary loan. Loan =/= trade.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 50
buyers remorse..

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think permanent is assumed unless we agreed on a temporary trade. I just advertised my AKG K701's for trade for HD600's, and got a reply from this person, we traded pix and made an agreement to do the trade. The transaction went smoothly although he wasn't happy about it missing the 1/4" - mini adapter (which I never got with the box when I bought it new.) I offered to get him a replacement but then he just pm'd me and said he wants to trade back. But I am happy with the Senns and want to keep them, so I told him I wasn't willing to do that at this point after we had a deal.

I would classify that as a permanent trade, as it wasn't stated anywhere otherwise. It sounds to me like your transaction was above board and solid. It's a little odd that the other party won't state a reason for wanting to trade back. I'd be a little leery in doing so even if I was so inclined.

My take is that you made a fair trade, and you're completely justified in keeping the headphones.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

If you're a nice guy you could trade him back his headphones, but IMO you have no obligations towards this person.

agreed. The other thing you could do is ask him to send you $500, "because it would be better for both of us."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back