After my vacation I had to turn the volume down... why?
Oct 24, 2008 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
I went on a vaction (without headphones) for a few days.
When I returned, I found the volume on my xcan (that no one had touched) to be far too loud. How come? I did nothing particular to my ears on my vacation. A few beers and a swim in the ocean should not make such a big difference?

Oct 24, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 18
Your ears got ocean-raped?

I have no idea, actually.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm no expert, but I think it's similar to how when you play music at a certain volume, your ears get used to it and your inclination is that you need to turn the volume up.

Well, take the opposite. When you haven't heard something at a volume that loud in days (as in this case), when you're initially exposed to it again, you perceive it as being too loud.

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 18
Try a different CD. Some are much louder than others.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 18
I'd go along with the cykosis and squid_shank explanations. I always listen to my Zune at about 8 but when I start it I always turn the volume down to avoid having this "loud" sensation.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 18
I think 'cykosis' are on to something.
That your hearing probably adapt to the music over time, and when you take a longer time off its sort of "reset". Just give it a day or so, and you may need to turn up the volume again.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 18
If it is too loud, it is too loud. You should take it as a good sign that you need to lower the volume in the future... Just a suggestion.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 18
Look after your ears, get used to playing at lower volumes, most of the time we crank the amp up to much, instead try quieter. I like to mix it up, some quiet stuff, then louder for a cd then quiet, lets my hearing enjoy a balance. I'm firmly of the belief that listener fatigue is basically too much loud music.
I used to comeback from Hawkwind concerts deaf for 2 days, even my internal organs were deafened!

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 18
why do you mind? surely this is a good thing for yours ears health at least

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid_shank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the brain tends to shut off nerve sensors that have been overstimulated until the stimulus is removed

I'm more or less with this theory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back