Affordable cables to spruce up your rig?
Jul 29, 2007 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm getting tired of using my stock/OEM ICs and power cables with everything I use. So, I'm interested in getting some aesthetically attractive cables to help spruce up my rig. I'd like something that looks and feels high-end & professional, but at a very affordable price (under $50). I'm looking for analog ICs, digital cables, and power cables.

I honestly don't think cables will make a difference in sound (though I have not heard high-end cables in a rig before), so I'm not looking for anything particular sonically. Here are my preferences:

Optical: Shortest length possible (I read something about how it's critical that the length is multiples of 1.5 meters??); $15
Coaxial: Shortest length possible (Same multiples of 1.5 meters thing?); $15
Analog (RCA): Anything less than 2 meters is fine; $50
Power: Anything more than 1.5 meters is fine; $25

-I like FAT, THICK cables (gives the impression of something high-end; placebo works!)
-Connectors must appear to be high-end/high-quality
-Favorite color is turquoise (I also like shades of green and blue), if it means anything

Here's my idea of a high-end connector:

etc_img2_B11894.jpg

This is strictly about aesthetics & build quality. So, what do you guys recommend?

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 14
Get someone to build the RCA cables for you. I think that way you could buy the most expensive connectors while paying the least total for the finished product. Or look at the classified interconnects section on Audiogon.

I think your best bet for the digital cables is Blue Jeans at the prices you are looking to spend. Also check out the Glass Optical TOSlinks off eBay. For the power cable, I think you should place a WTB ad for Quails. Those are thick and have big connectors.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 14
Is this the signal cable you're talking about:
1184712720.jpg

A bit too modest for me.

Power:
Is it me or is the whole Quail website down? Which model should I get and do they come in black? I'd also like the sleeve/encasing to be of some sort of fabric/braiding or something, and not rubber/plastic (or whatever they use) tubing.

Analog:
For analog, I was thinking a Miova IC for $50 shipped:
1185491635.jpg

Any other suggestions? The connectors don't look as high-end, but the cable looks relatively thick and I like the blue color (though I'd prefer a more green color, if possible). I checked out the Blue Jeans website and the cables look way too "plain Jane," if you know what I mean. If that is "no nonsense," then I want as much nonsense as possible!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get someone to build the RCA cables for you. I think that way you could buy the most expensive connectors while paying the least total for the finished product.

Which website should I check out for high-end connectors?

Digital:
So, I should get this optical cable? What about coaxial?

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like the no nonsense look of blue jeans cables

they instill confidence in their solid build as well as their industrial no frills looking design

I agree, and at about $35 delivered for a pair of RCA's IC a very good deal to boot.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, and at about $35 delivered for a pair of RCA's IC a very good deal to boot.
biggrin.gif

X2 and add to this that the performance is not bad at all...

But if you are after look only the Outlaw cables are not bad and they are cheap, they were the flavor fo the month while I joined headfi long time ago....they are still cheap...but nowadays nobody recommends them here, not sure why, not even these "golden ears" that used to in the past....

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 14
Dont dismiss the signal cable. they are also no nonsense cables and the eichmann bullet plugs are like that for a reason. The plastic sleeve on the connector focuses the signal on the center pin. I have eichmanns on my vh audio pulsars and they are fantastic.

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont dismiss the signal cable. they are also no nonsense cables and the eichmann bullet plugs are like that for a reason. The plastic sleeve on the connector focuses the signal on the center pin. I have eichmanns on my vh audio pulsars and they are fantastic.

I'm after nonsense and frills.

Does anyone have a picture of a colored Blue Jeans cable?

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm after nonsense and frills.

Does anyone have a picture of a colored Blue Jeans cable?

Bluejeans cables are no-frills indeed. If you're looking for fancy looking cables I'd look elsewhere. All my interconnects are Bluejeans and they're as plain as it can be.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Nonsense and frills at this price point is sign of bad design and "out to make a buck." It won't get you anywhere. Only on true high end do the "nonsense and frills" mean performance.

That signal cable may not look bling to your eyes but it sure does to those in the know. If you are willing to shell a bit more, the silver resolution with bullet plug is definitely what you need.
SilverResolution-CopperRCA-A.jpg

The silver resolution digital coax cable is a steal at 69 dollars.
SilverResolution-Digital-A.jpg

They also have a nice entry level power cord for 59 dollars.

Jul 30, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 14
Blue Jeans are not colored crazy or have techflex, but they are thick with big connectors. They are incredible for their low cost. Their shipping is also very fast and customer service is golden.

I vote for Blue Jeans Cable!

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back