Affordable amp for Grado SR60i
May 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Aryik

New Head-Fier
Before someone tells me to search, I did, and I couldn't find anything, sorry if I missed something. Moving on, I own a pair of Grado SR60i's and my music is on my Samsung Galaxy S, I also use the Grado's for my Xbox. I've noticed that my cheap earphones that I use to workout are much louder, and I have to listen to most things on full volume with the Grado's. Even then, sometimes it's still on too quiet. I was wondering if an amp would help with this (I imagine it would) and I was looking for recommendations. I'm on a very tight budget, and the cheaper, the better. My very top is $100.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Aryik

May 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm a fan of the Grado house sound.  Also, I'm a fan of Grado modified headphones.  The "warmer" sound of the FiiO E11 is doing an excellent job of keeping the highs tamed, yet detailed.  The lower end it tilted up a bit, changing that Grado house sound on the lower end and making it better.  For $60, you can't go wrong on this one.  Seriously.

If you had a pair of Sennheiser HD-555, I wouldn't give the same recommendation.  Since they're more of a neutral sounding headphone, I didn't get as impressed with the E11 paired with the 555s.

Eric Clapton, BB King, Cowboy Junkies, Buika, etc.  They all sound just "right" with the amp and Grados.

May 28, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 13
Skip the E5, grab the E11 or Soundmagic A10.  They are not "high-end" or anything anyway.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 13
Hmm... Does sr60i really need amping? My Samsung Wave phone drives the sr80i quite nicely even on 13/15 volume. Make sure that the lack of isolation is not making you listen louder than you used to.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 13
Though they sound better with more current being fed into them, nope, they do not require amping.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Hmm... Does sr60i really need amping? My Samsung Wave phone drives the sr80i quite nicely even on 13/15 volume. Make sure that the lack of isolation is not making you listen louder than you used to.

Yes. On my phone, they lack power. Also, I use them for xbox and there's no volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back