Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Nov 2, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #31 of 830
So then you've never heard them but somehow know the Elegia is much better? Wow. And without ever having a pair in your hands, you're asserting the folding mechanism will only last a couple months before breaking? Impressive. Totally useless information in both cases, but at least it's still fun to see a troll every now and then.

I've never heard the new Beats headphone Beats Solo Pro but we can safely predict that Elegia sounds better than it. Okay? Similarly, given the extreme margin between Aeon C1 and Elegia I can safely predict Elegia > Aeon C2 as well since new Aeon has very similar design and tech of the former.
And I wrote: it will "probably" break.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #32 of 830
I've never heard the new Beats headphone Beats Solo Pro but we can safely predict that Elegia sounds better than it. Okay? Similarly, given the extreme margin between Aeon C1 and Elegia I can safely predict Elegia > Aeon C2 as well since new Aeon has very similar design and tech of the former.
And I wrote: it will "probably" break.

I didn't know how to employ the "ignore" function here until just now. So if nothing else, thanks for making me learn how to engage it.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #33 of 830
Aeon 2 closed vs other headphones:

First of all, I haven't been much of a fan of closed headphones for the most part. My listening situation doesn't "require" a closed set of headphones, although at times it would be nice to have. Here is a list of closed headphones that I've owned or had for extended audition:

1. Aeon closed original

This is the natural comparison. But it would be a mistake to expect just an evolutionary change in this particular case. It's much more than that. The Aeon 2 closed has been completely reworked from the ground up. It has a new motor, new driver and new materials internally and is essentially an all new product instead of a reworked one. And more importantly, the A2c sounds like a completely difference headphone. Think revolutionary instead of evolutionary here. I won't make comparisons here because the A2c is simply much better across the board, period. There is nothing the original does that is competitive with the new A2c.

2. ETHER C Flow

Now this gets more interesting. Based on my evaluation, having owned the ETHER C Flow for over a year, these two headphones compete well against each other, despite the price discrepancy and pecking order. But at the end of the day, I'd pick the A2c every time. It's much more comfortable for starters. There is a distinct sound stage advantage for the A2c despite the difference in the size of the cups between the two headphones.. A2c does bass better with more slam, although this is pretty close. Mids are also close with A2c delivering slightly better textural information from vocalist than ETHER C Flow. With regard to treble, the A2c is better offering equal extension of the ETHER C Flow without a small peak that can sound sibilant with some recordings on ECF.

But wait, the EFC cost $700 MORE than the A2c and it sounds arguably better than it's more expensive sibling? Well, actually it does. So why would a company do this. It's not that complicated really. Companies like Schiit Audio do this as well. The $600 Bifrost 2 sounds better than the Gungnir MB costing $1250. Much of this has to do with time schedule of releasing a new product that does improve performance to a degree that it sounds and performs better than one of your own more expensive products. Later those older products like the Gumby and EFC will also be revised and updated and likely overtake their over-performing siblings. But take this for what it is, which is an opportunity to get flagship closed headphone performance at a mid-fi price. We all love a great deal, right?

3. Audioquest Nightowl Carbon

The NOC is a polarizing product to be completely fair. I do enjoy the tone and timbre of the bio-cellulose driver in this headphone. NOC can do nuance and low level detail very nicely when the right upstream gear are used to the proper effect. But in terms of over performance sonically, the A2c is leagues better. Unless you have a bent towards the bio-cellulose sound, the A2c takes this one easily.

4. Audeze XC

Let's get this out of the way right off the bat. The XC is stupid heavy. Send me to the chiropractor heavy. I could only wear it for about 30 minutes or so before the neck pain started in. But I do like the sound of the XC. Staging is better than average, but doesn't overtake the A2c. Tone and timbre of the mids is good with the XC and competitive with the A2c. But the XC has that Audeze dip somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble that always bugged me. These two headphones are competitive with the comfort of the A2c making the choice a no brainer for me personally.

5. Sony cd-3000

Going a little old school here with the Sony cd3k. This is an early 90's product that will natural be under the radar of most folks. The stock signature of this headphone was bright and lean with good staging. But add a dual exit copper cable and a good tube amp and this becomes a very good headphone. Many say that it competes well as a "mini r10" which is legendary in the community. But at the end of the day A2c trounces the cd3k, with more body, better staging and more coherency to the overall signature.

If you can't tell, I do in fact like the Aeon 2 c quite a bit. It's fair to say that I'm a little smitten with it. Listening to this headphone is often an addictive experience for me. I want to listen to "just one more song/album" each time that I use it. Five or six years ago, we saw somewhat of an explosion of new products in the headphone hobby, especially with regard to planar magnetic products. And now that the dust is settling, we have some real leaders that are paving the way with some truly exceptional products. I'm glad that we have Dan Clark Audio as one of the real innovators working to lead the way.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #34 of 830
I'm interested to hear comparison with CA Cascade. For a close back the cascade sound more open, wider and full-bodied. In stock form the low end is just overpowering but with the filter and cloth pad it just sound gorgeous. Plus the fact that it is more efficient than the AFC. AFC needs a more powerful source. Even then, the AFC still sound so brittle and thin. I still do enjoy listening from time to time with AFC. The only thing that hands down made AFC better than cascade to me is the comfort.

Looking at the FR response, I think the AFC2 addresses the lack of low-end body of the original AFC. The collapsable headband is cool. It reminds me of my Tascam TH-02.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #35 of 830
I'm really curious how the AFC2 will sound, especially compared to the ZMF dynamics (Atticus/Eikon). I have a soft spot for Dan since the old Mad Dog 3.2 was my first really nice headphone. My previous pairs were ok, but more starter level (M50, DT770). The MD blew me away with it's detail and ability. That started a long line of MrSpeakers purchases all the way up to the Ether line. I like a warmer more romantic sound signature so I eventually migrated over to ZMF, but I do kind of miss that Dan/Planar sound (especially the Alpha Prime, imo Dan's best, based on my preferences). I found the Ether line too neutral, so I'm hoping he takes the new AF2 line towards a warmer tuning. Definitely going to get some time with these as soon as I can, hopefully Upscale Audio will start carrying them so I can demo. If not, might need to drive down to SD!

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #36 of 830
I'm really curious how the AFC2 will sound, especially compared to the ZMF dynamics (Atticus/Eikon). I have a soft spot for Dan since the old Mad Dog 3.2 was my first really nice headphone. My previous pairs were ok, but more starter level (M50, DT770). The MD blew me away with it's detail and ability. That started a long line of MrSpeakers purchases all the way up to the Ether line. I like a warmer more romantic sound signature so I eventually migrated over to ZMF, but I do kind of miss that Dan/Planar sound (especially the Alpha Prime, imo Dan's best, based on my preferences). I found the Ether line too neutral, so I'm hoping he takes the new AF2 line towards a warmer tuning. Definitely going to get some time with these as soon as I can, hopefully Upscale Audio will start carrying them so I can demo. If not, might need to drive down to SD!
I am interested in this as well, since I've been considering getting an Atticus to complement my collection with a closed pair. But since the AFO is my darling, I might consider the AFC2, too here.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #38 of 830
I am interested in this as well, since I've been considering getting an Atticus to complement my collection with a closed pair. But since the AFO is my darling, I might consider the AFC2, too here.
I do like the AFO quite a bit. For about a year i've been ready to pull the trigger on one only to have some random used item pop up too good to pass up suck up all my funds haha. I always thought of the AFO as the successor to the Alpha Prime as it shares it's warmer tuning.

I'll warn you now about the Atticus...it could really screw with your head, as it did me. At the time I had a few planars, an HD800S, and tons of lesser headphones. After picking up a used Atticus on a whim (and an Eikon), i sold off almost my whole non-ZMF collection. it's such an addicting headphone to me, it ruined almost everything else.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #39 of 830
I'll warn you now about the Atticus...it could really screw with your head, as it did me. At the time I had a few planars, an HD800S, and tons of lesser headphones. After picking up a used Atticus on a whim (and an Eikon), i sold off almost my whole non-ZMF collection. it's such an addicting headphone to me, it ruined almost everything else.
I know! I have the ZMF Auteur and when I have them on my head it's hard to remember I also have other headphones. The ZMF offering is pure magic.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #41 of 830
Curious about the Aeon 2 closed since the AFC is one of most comfortable headphones I have used. My complaint with the AFC is how lifeless it sounds. Unless the volume was turned quite high it sounded very dead to me. Unfortunately I tend to listen at fairly low volumes so that didn’t work for me. If the new one sounds better at lower volumes I might have to give it a try sometime.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #43 of 830
Curious about the Aeon 2 closed since the AFC is one of most comfortable headphones I have used. My complaint with the AFC is how lifeless it sounds. Unless the volume was turned quite high it sounded very dead to me. Unfortunately I tend to listen at fairly low volumes so that didn’t work for me. If the new one sounds better at lower volumes I might have to give it a try sometime.
I think the Aeon 2 would be right up your alley. They are anything but lifeless. And are very dynamic even at lower volume levels.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #44 of 830
I'm sure that you're right. It's the weight that is the issue for me.
Gotcha! Yeah they are very heavy headphones, especially with some of my heavier cables. That's always been the biggest drawback with ZMF, the size/weight.

Question on resonance/decay on the AFC2. Is it the typical planar quickness, where notes don't linger or resonate long? That's one thing i always struggle with with planars, the decay just seems too fast. The alpha prime, being closed, was best at it, imo as Dan allowed a fair amount of cup reverb.

And this is totally speculative, but how are you feeling about the hinge system and it's long term operation? it's a brilliant looking system, and Dan builds some super strong headphones, but it is unique, and i do wonder if over time it could be problematic. i trust Dan as he overbuilds in general, just curious on your thoughts.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #45 of 830
Honestly the longevity of the hinge remains to be seen at this point. But if it is at all like the build quality of Dan other products I'm sure that it will be good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back