advice wanted for entry level iem
Jun 11, 2007 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rodman

New Head-Fier
so it seems like im entering a controversial topic on these forums but here goes.

i stumbled across this forum while researching for the iems and ive been reading feverishly for the last few days, learning a great deal along the way. but it seems like priorities will be the deciding factor with such a great variety and differing characteristics available, so here goes.

heres the scenario:

my girlfriend will be travelling to japan with me on a no entertainment (we are too cheap), 9 hr flight, so our mp3 players will be our greatest friends. i wish to buy an iem for her as a surprise present to make the flight enjoyable and to preserve her hearing. other than the flight, i intend for her to use it for commuting on two half hour noisy train rides daily in sydney.

here are the conditions:

she is not an audiophile
comfort is paramount
since its a surprise, she probably wont be able to try it first, so a good returns policy would be helpful
she has small ears, so the canal would probably b small too
next after comfort is durability, then isolation for the flight
the iem will be driven straight from an mp3 player
i wont mod the iem
she listens to classical and operas mostly, some jazz and some vocals so details seem to be preferable

budget: aroudn $100

possibilities: im leaning towards um1 and er6i, more towards the um1 because of the maintenance of the filters required for the er6i. also looked at e2c, super.fi 3

sorry for the long msg, and thanks for all the help uve given already!

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 24
Keep in mind that the UM1 comes with only comply tips which will have to be replaced quite often and will get dirty. And I'm not sure how easily available repalcement tips are in Asutralia - it might end up being an expensive affair. Since she is not an audiophile, you could just go with colourful marshmallows or maybe Creative EP630 and save some cash :p Definitely look into the aesthetically pleasing d-JAYS which she may like - they are also quite discreet and small size, known for comfort.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 24
i'll vouch for the er6's detailedness. as for filter replacement i've had mine for 3 months and only changed the filters once, about a week ago. not even sure i needed to then... they were getting buzzy in the bass but i was trying to eq them which i've learned you really can't do. your wife should really enjoy their clarity for classical/opera. they have very little soundstage but that's what you get with iems. i chose the er6s over er6i's because i'd read that the er6s have more accurate (though some say too-thin) bass. they also have biflanged tips (er6is have triflanges) which might work better for small ear canals. er6is are easier to drive by mp3 players, though my er6s sound alright with my little creative nano albeit better from my receiver or even my soundcard.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 24
If you have enough time you can order a pair of Mylar One XB's for her. For some reason women seem to like the XB more than the X3. The smallest flange is quite small so it will fit her ears. Return policy at Jaben is okay. If you mention it is for your girlfriend they'll be extra friendly
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 24
The Ety ER6 with the stock bi-flanges and the Ety ER6i with short Comply foams or the smallest Shure black foams would be very small while suiting her musical taste (I believe Comply makes a "narrow" foamie, which might be appropriate). In general, foams should be more comfortable on a long flight, especially for a first-time IEM wearer (I think the flanges take some getting used to).

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 24
i have read about the alternatives suggested, the marshmallows, d-JAYS, and mylar and have been intrigued by the mylar in particular, but from the comments i read, they dont seem to offer the isolation of, say, er6.

on the note of running costs, would the cost of foamies or a more longlasting flange thing for the um1 exceed the cost of filters for the er6? i have the option of buying them online or from hong kong as prices in australia seem to be extravagant.

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 24
Since you guys are going to Japan why not surprise her with some Japanese canalphones like the CK7. They retain the ER6 sound but in comfortable canalphone form and the housing is titanium so durability is there as well. The only downside is that they don't isolate as well as an IEM.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
advice wanted for entry level iem
budget: aroudn $100

Man am I on a different scale than you. When I think entry level, I'm definitely not in the $100 range. Entry level to me is $10-20. I guess I'm poor.

My $57 Grado's are the most expensive headphones I'll probably ever own.

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 24
Your pricing standards are mainstream, while Rodman's are Headfistream.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 24
100 bucks is actually a lot for me, but im just using language ppl in this forum would relate to =D

and i just remembered that ive used the bose quietcomfort before. how do say the mylar compare in terms of shutting out noise? because i would be quite satisfied with the level achieved by the bose

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 24
Im surprised no one has backed up the UM1 as it seems perfect for you. Very comfortable, very low profile, great isolation. SQ is very good, but a little muddy so not great. I have small ear canals and they fit very well. My friend has even smaller ears (earbuds hurt) and he says they are better than all other ear phones he has tried.

The complys could get a little expensive over time but that will be a while. Getting the new black shure foamies I heard improve sound quality, comfort, and theyre washable. If you get those, I think youd be set.

Only downside is I got mine off a store on ebay, Im not sure how good their return policy is.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 24
Yeah, $100 is basically entry level IEM range (for headfi at least). For under the approximately $80 mark, there are pretty much very set options for what is best: For IEM/canalphones its pretty much between the Creative EP630, JVC Marshmallow and most recently the MylarOne X3. Otherwise its KSC75 for over the ear style. Or just stick to your iBuds. Once you have $80+ to spend, then you can open up a whole new range of IEM's. After this you need to spend significantly more - around $150-180+ to go to the next level. Heck, most people on the street will think you're crazy for even spending more than $50 on headphones leave alone a tiny pair of IEM's.

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 24
Another vote for ER6i.

The filter takes forever to replace as long as your GF has good ear hygiene (2 yrs now and I haven't replace mine). Just get an extra pack of filter when buying the 'phone and you are looking at many year of usage.

If you are looking for great bargain, you should get the X3 instead.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #14 of 24
the e2c is a good choice, multiple rubber and foam ear tips. the E2G (same as E2c but shorter cord) is on sale at http://www.earphonesolutions.com/. Ignore the price on the website, contact tham via email. List price is $109, I bought mine for $64 a couple months ago, well below your $100 budget.

Jun 13, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 24
im really tempted by the x3 at the moment, i realli like the bang for the buck. but im still concerned about the isolation it offers, perhaps modded. can anyone compare the isolation to over the ear type headphones as those are the only ones ive had experience with and whether it would be adequate for air travel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back