Advice regarding open headphone and amp/dac system
Feb 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bavinck

Headphoneus Supremus
New to the forum and headphone hifi. I am just getting into this hobby, from a lifelong love of good music. Last year I bought a pair of in-ear Klipsh which have been good (much better than the iphone earphones I was using), but having discovered full-size headphones recently I am very interested in learning more. For on the go, I have purchase a pair of NAD HP50, arriving today at my house. I would also like to investigate an open headphone system for my Windows 8 pc, running FLAC files. I listen to all kinds of music, but the majority of what I enjoy is Rock, Metal, Jazz, Blues and Country. I have heard Hifiman phones are good for rock/metal, and the HE400 is about right for me price wise. I have also heard the Schiit amp and dac are good with this headphone, but I would rather a solid-state amp so I don't need to learn about the tubes. My ideal price of a amp/dac combo would be $500, but I would go as high as $1000 for both if I was getting something very high SQ and future prooofing (if that is possible). I do need the dac to work with Windows 8. If anyone would be able to comment on this potential setup, suggest different phones or amp/dac combos I would sure appreciate it. I am out of my depth in this hobby and need some guidance to getting started.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #4 of 21
Thanks so much for the replies. Is this O2 you are recommending the JDS Labs amp? If so, do you also recommend the ODAC or would the dragonfly pair better? This amp looks good!

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 21
Yeah if you are in the states go for the JDS labs, I got mine from epiphany acoustics in the UK as I'm from Scotland. I mix it up , sometimes using the e-dac on its own connected to a raspberry PI running volumio, playing flacs from a synology server. At other times I'll hook it up to the laptop and also have the amp off the dac to boost the volume, I was thinking of buying the combined unit amp/dac combo but it doesn't have any batteries in it so isn't as portable.In the end I purchased them separate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 21
Epiphany in the UK have started selling the amp via Amazon, although if you are in the UK epiphany UK have a sale on just now so it's cheaper at Epiphany . Reviews on amazon are favourable http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/reviews/B00G2DK52W/ref=mw_dp_cr

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 21
Reviews on the E-DAC http://www.amazon.co.uk/Epiphany-Acoustics-E-DAC-bit-miniature/dp/B00G36MTT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1392999000&sr=1-1&keywords=e-dac+24+bit+miniature+usb+dac

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 21
I'm in Canada, so if they are the same amp/dac I will get the JSD Labs. Thanks for the recommend, the reviews are indeed favourable.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 21
Yeah its the same gear inside , JDS gets rave reviews, also I was looking at bumpers for the amp but they are too dear in UK with postage but you may be able to get them cheaper

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 21
ha4e7una.jpg

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 21
Huh, I would never have thought of bumpers. That link you provided are bumpers that will work with the O2 & ODAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back