Advice please: Sony MH1C vs Brainwavz M2, Vsonic GR06
Nov 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rbanaag

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, new member here.

I'm wondering how big is the difference in terms of sound quality of the Sony MH1C against the Brainwavz M2 which I have now and the Vsonic GR06. Before buying the M2 this week, my daily driver for the last 5 years is a Creative EP630. I am pretty good with the M2 right now, but the MH1C based on reviews here seems really good and there is a good offer for me until tomorrow. Is it like night and day or just minor stuff here and there?

After reading great reviews on the MH1C, I'm thinking of replacing the M2 with the MH1C. Just worried that the MH1C might sound weak on my Iphone 4 since I read its power hungry and I don't have any plans of getting a portable amp.

Any advice would be really helpful, need to decide today.

Many thanks.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 10
Whoa hold up now. I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300-II's and a pair of Sony MH1C's, the MH1C's to my ears at least, do sound very nice, but not as good as the CX300-II's. 

I have just purchased a pair of Brainwavz M2's as an upgrade to my CX300-II's because the Brainwavz M2's are considered to be much better.

*Edit* I just auditioned the two sets of earphones side by side and the Sony's are in actual fact a lot clearer, crisper and more defined than the Sennheisers. Though I do find the Sony's to be horribly uncomfortable compared with the Senns. 

If you can wait a few days I will be able to let you know what I think of the Brainwavz' vs the Sony's (Playing various genres in FLAC from a Cowon i10).

I am really hoping that the Brainwavz are better because otherwise I just forked out some money on an upgrade to something worse that what has been sitting in my drawer... 

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 10
Do not look at the price tag and try the MH1C.

To my ear, the sound signature of MH1C is superior. u can feel it's SONY once u put it on

just $30 bucks, why not give it a try? even as a backup IEM

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 10
I have Vsonic GR06, Visang R03(Brainwavz M2), and Sony MH1C. Its a toss between GR06 and Sony MH1C (stock cable) in terms of sound quality. They are superior than M2 in all departments but if you recable MH1C, it would be another story. It would be Recabled MH1C>GR06>M2

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 10
the comfort of the MH1C is abysmal. some of the most uncomfortable and misfitting IEM's i've ever owned, and these are worse than my UE TF 10's. The hard flat j cord is a joke. The sound isn't as great as some say, and the hype for me is equal to the hype given to the JVC FX40's, which were also very disappointing. My Philips 3580's were superior in sound and fit, and cost me $8.00. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
the comfort of the MH1C is abysmal. some of the most uncomfortable and misfitting IEM's i've ever owned, and these are worse than my UE TF 10's. The hard flat j cord is a joke. The sound isn't as great as some say, and the hype for me is equal to the hype given to the JVC FX40's, which were also very disappointing. My Philips 3580's were superior in sound and fit, and cost me $8.00. 

Huh.
Well, I was just about to buy a pair until I read this.
I'm going to get the GR06 instead, then.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Huh.
Well, I was just about to buy a pair until I read this.
I'm going to get the GR06 instead, then.

very good choice! the GR06's! Well done. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Old thread, but it shows up very high in Google results when searching for "Sony MH1 vs Brainwavz M2" or similar terms.

I own both of these and the Brainwavz M4, although the right speaker on my M2 is dead. 

Brainwavz M2:
+ It’s louder than MH1 at the same volume
~ High volume boomy bass (intense, but overblown)
− Sound feels somewhat cheap and inaccurate when compared to the MH1
− Uncontrolled sound at higher volumes

Sony MH1:
+ Much cheaper (6€ where I live)
+ Sound is incredibly more detailed than M2
~ Bass is clean, present, more controlled, but not as impactful as on M2 and M4 (hard to tell though, because I can’t play these at the same volume as M2 and M4)
~ Asymmetric cord
− Cable is not really suited for walking / running, might have to recable
− Low volume; I can turn up the volume to max both on my Asus Xonar DG sound card and on my Meizu M6

Brainwavz M4:
+ More detailed highs than the M2 (but not nearly as detailed as MH1)
+ Louder than MH1 
+ Cable is light
+ Comfortable to wear
− Muddy sound, going from these to the Sony MH1 is like taking off noise insolation plugs
− Flimsy cable, very thin and seems like it will break easily

Altogether, M2 and M4 do have higher bass impact, but it distorts the high frequencies. MH1 provides a much cleaner, more natural and detailed sound, and I prefer them by quite a lot.
M2 sound a bit sharper than M4, but also have more distortion. Hard for me to decide which of these I prefer, but I don’t really care anymore since I have several MH1, haha.

If MH1 would cost twice as much as M2 / M4, it would be hard for me to decide, but as it is, MH1 outperforms them in both price / value and sound quality. So unless you absolutely need extreme bass volume that damages your eardrums, sound-wise MH1 should be the better choice.

Sound-quality: MH1 >>> M4 >= M2
Value: MH1 >>>>> M4 ~ M2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back