Advice on upgrading TF10 to UE Customs
Oct 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ori88

Head-Fier
I have a pair of TF10vi's where the wire has broken twice within a year.  Logitech replaced them the first time and this time they're offering to either replace them, or has offered 25% off another pair (of anything).  One thing to note is that while I'm happy with the TF10, they haven't been a great fit in my ears and I have to adjust them regularly.  I've tried many different tips and currently using the Sony Hybrids, so I'm hoping the Customs would be a better fit.

Do all the UE Customs have better sound quality than the TF10s, or do I have to at least start at a certain level?  I'm thinking of using the 25% to pickup the UE 4 Pro, then just buying a replacement cable for the TF10 so I have both of them.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 8
You could always remold your TF10 with Fisher..which is what I did.  Even with the Olives I had to readjust them, and I love the sound of the TF10 too much to just give up on them.  

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
This is definitely one of the options I'm considering.  Would a remolded TF10 sound as good, or better than a UE Pro4 (or 5)?

While comfort would be a huge upgrade I think UE4 sound would be a downgrade.  Jerry Harvey has been on record saying the custom UE10 is a flatter response TF10.  SAme drivers but TF10 mid bass is tuned up a bit for a "funner" sound.  I'm not still fuller familiar with UE custom line-up but I think you'd need to go at least to UE7 or higher.  But my JH5 has a slight edge over TF10 Pro.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
While comfort would be a huge upgrade I think UE4 sound would be a downgrade.  Jerry Harvey has been on record saying the custom UE10 is a flatter response TF10.  SAme drivers but TF10 mid bass is tuned up a bit for a "funner" sound.  I'm not still fuller familiar with UE custom line-up but I think you'd need to go at least to UE7 or higher.  But my JH5 has a slight edge over TF10 Pro. 

you have that wrong. the ue-10 was out many years before the tf10 was even a thought. The ue-10 were designed as refrence monitors. To be as close to flat and accurate as they could.The ue-7 pro is like the ue-5 pro with a second low end driver. You could compare it kinds like this. The ue-5 pro is to the ue-7 as the ue-10 is to the ue-11 pro. The ue-5c was the consumer audiophile version of the ue-5 pro. Sound signature is quite similar the the westone es2.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
you have that wrong. the ue-10 was out many years before the tf10 was even a thought. The ue-10 were designed as refrence monitors. To be as close to flat and accurate as they could.The ue-7 pro is like the ue-5 pro with a second low end driver. You could compare it kinds like this. The ue-5 pro is to the ue-7 as the ue-10 is to the ue-11 pro. The ue-5c was the consumer audiophile version of the ue-5 pro. Sound signature is quite similar the the westone es2.

I'm confused.  Where does the TF-10 fit then compared to the UE Pro line?

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 8
It does not compare to anything in the custom pro line. There is nothing that sounds like the tf10 pro in the ue custom line.It is solely a consumer universal iem. It is a step up from the super fi line that was out several years ago. There was the super fi 3 and the super fi 5 then a contest came around on head fi when they were designing the tf 10 pro and its name was selected by a member here.Super fi 3 had one driver, 5 had 2 and the tf has 3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back